Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 956384 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Live by Garstopit, Die by Garstopit
« Reply #285 on: December 03, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »

Assuming that he'd try the same action (that he never got to last round) is probably a safe bet.

Well, he is online now.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2012, 09:31:53 pm »

"Huh. Dat's bad."

>Take cover behind the huge block of wood! Run around it in a circle as necessary to avoid my attacker.

>Test if I have any movement in my dessicated right hand. If so, pick up the cleaver with that hand if I encounter it.

>If I stumble upon the normal sword, pick it up with my good hand.

>Mainly, just keep an eye and ear out for the guy after me, and keep the block of wood between us. Pick up weapons if I come across them. Once I'm armed I can defend myself.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #287 on: December 04, 2012, 01:44:24 am »

Thrusting his right arm at Yurf "Wood Release: Cutting Technique GWP"
((I'll somehow gone from Harry Potter to Yamato.))
"Huh. Dat's bad."

>Take cover behind the huge block of wood! Run around it in a circle as necessary to avoid my attacker.

>Test if I have any movement in my dessicated right hand. If so, pick up the cleaver with that hand if I encounter it.

>If I stumble upon the normal sword, pick it up with my good hand.

>Mainly, just keep an eye and ear out for the guy after me, and keep the block of wood between us. Pick up weapons if I come across them. Once I'm armed I can defend myself.
(You have no movement in that hand)

[YURF dex:4-1 (On back)]
[Adam dex:5]
[adam pot:2+1]
[Yurf dex:1]

Yurf crawls for the sword while Adam shouts the same word at him. A small chunk of wood encloses Yurf's foot like the he's been assaulted by a mad clog maker. He looks back at his imprisoned foot, raises and eyebrow and proceeds to continue toward the sword.

"Well, that was unexpected... But at least rubber is a flexable material. Maybe I can move this hand around still."

See how much I can move my rubber hand. If nobody tries to hurt me, then do Magic Phrase. If someone does attack me, then zap them with my GWP.
Your rubber hand doesn't move an inch despite your best efforts. Oh well. You aren't currently under attack so time to try  another word.

((I'm supposed to be taking an engineering test now on the computer. But nope, RTD trumps school))

[pot:6]
The air in front of you crackles with live electricity that quickly condenses into thin rod or staff, 5 foot long and 2 or so inches thick, that falls to the ground. It lays there, crackling violently with a seemingly endless supply of power.

Alga glanced briefly around at the firing platform she'd found herself on. That wasn't good.

Noticing Sanya nearby, she scurried over to her.

"Wanna team up?" she asked quietly, staring at her intently in case the answer was no.

Scurry to western staircase. Speak Word at nearby wall, or at Sanya if attacked by her.
You get the heck off that central platform and over to the staircase, joining Sanya before speaking your magic word toward the wall
[pot:1+2]
A thin stream of molten stone pours out of thin air. It's odd because it doesn't seem to move like normal molten stone; it's much more fluid and less viscous then you would expect. It cools and hardens just the same though.

Well, that was.... Effective. Time for an open test. Point at the same wall, and yell Trialo Shareem! Focus on summoning a spike of metal. Afterwards, keep going up the stairs to escape the fighting.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I'm assuming by "Shareem" this means "Shareeb".
[pot:2+1]
A piece of steel roughly the size of a billiard ball falls to the ground behind you.

I had an inkling that spell would do that instead of what I originally thought it would do.  Oh well- I still learned something useful!

+1 Potency

Oh crap, that wasn't... ohhh, I get it now!  Leaves me not where I thought I was, though.  Need more data, but hide now!

Cower and hide.  If anyone approaches me, run like hell the other way.

Also, Piecewise:  Is there a spell combination that could potentially kill everyone at once, given how spread out we are right now?
I can't really tell you, but what do you think?

I'm going with hell yes we can scorched earth this place- especially once people start doing silly things like getting adjusted rolls of 8+ on potency.

How badly damaged is the central platform?
(central platform isn't too badly damaged, but you chipped a good sized piece of it's edge off.)

You scramble behind a rock and cover your head, waiting for retribution to rain down on you, yet nothing comes.

"Karma is bullshit" You mutter to yourself, hoping very much that you are correct.

"Friends are good to have. So far I'm just sciencing around with Lepus so don't aim at him, please. I'll share what I know with you, if you want."

Sanya points out some of the notes in her book before pointing out a trio of words.
Execute Plan B, while imagining a long, completely-metal, lustrous spear.

"Lets hope this works right. If it does... I can be a pretty good weaponsmith. Or, weapon-spawner. I don't know.

[pot:2]
You speak your words and a moment later what appears to be a metallic tooth pick drops to the ground a few feet away. You pick it up and the drop in and recoil as it gives you a nasty static shock.

You sit on the stairs and suck on a stinging finger, severely disappointed.

"Hell. Yes.
Master of Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth....
The Avatar.

Totally worth all that science."

Rest to regenerate lost point of pool, keep Word in mind in case of wild axe-murderer attack.

((This game is becoming much more fun. A feat I thought impossible, until someone figured out how to fire obsidian cannonballs.))

You lay back against the stone and rest, idly flipping through the pages of the book, glad that, for the most part, people seem to have been completely leaving you alone. Seems like most people are leaving each other alone actually, now that you peak out and see.

"Heh, maybe we'll eventually all just sit down and practice peaceful magic together or at least organize this down to one on one battles. Who knows, who knows."

Sanya:Green: Pool:1/3  [Third floor, on west stairs]
Adam: Red: pool:1/1 [First floor, next to YURF]
YURF: Blue: Pool: 0/0 (Right hand mummified, foot encased in wood)  [first floor, Near north stairs]
Possibly: Orange: Pool: 2/2 (some cloth) [Fourth floor, hiding behind a rock on north west side.]
Lepus: Yellow: Pool:2/2 (left hand is rubber) [Second floor, between south and west stairs]
Thrakor(3): Purple: Pool:2/2 (Bone deep gash in left upper arm. Bandaged but Left arm useless)[Fourth floor, North east side, hiding]
Alga: Light blue: Pool:1/2  [third floor, on west stairs]
Jamie(6): Dark red: Pool: 1/6 [Second floor, near north stairs]

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #288 on: December 04, 2012, 01:52:34 am »

So hows everyone doing? Having fun? Any comments or criticisms or questions?

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 04, 2012, 02:32:48 am »

"Five feet of fun... Shocking, isn't it? Now how to pick it up... My rubber hand's no good, but hopefully someone will find a spell to make flesh sooner or later. In the meantime, let's see about making a shock-proof hand that actually moves."

If nobody tries to attack me, then use Phrase A. If someone does try to attack me, then use Phrase B.

((This is honestly the most fun I've had in an RtD. And I haven't even gotten to really zap anyone yet))
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 04, 2012, 03:05:05 am »

((I'm having fun))

Adam mine throwing a spear while picturing a spear being throwed at Yurf saying "wood release: Longinus GWP"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:16:55 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 04, 2012, 03:52:33 am »

((Oh yes, quite fun. Moreso now that I'm not dying every other turn, but that was quite entertaining as well (if only I'd finished that fool off... :P).))

Bide my time.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 04, 2012, 03:58:31 am »

"Gah, shit."
Yurf peered at his foot. This wasn't going well. With a yell he lunged at his opponent, swinging one large fist at him!

>Charge the guy and punch him hard in the jaw. Launch myself off my non-wooden foot so I don't end up falling over.

>Once I (hopefully) hit/stun/knock him down, grab him by the throat and begin to strangle whilst simultaneously bashing the back of his head on the floor!

"Turn me foot inta wood, will yer?! Gonna... Crack ya skull... Like a ripe... Melon!"

((Edited this a bit. :P
As for comments, this magic system seems very fresh and fun. Usually I avoid magic-based games, and obviously I'm not playing much of a mage here either, but I actually find the system here interesting.))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:44:38 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 04, 2012, 08:41:13 am »

((Again, hell yes I am.  It's got the right combination of puzzle and action to make you eagerly anticipate the next action.  Also, your quick update style helps it not get stale.))

Thrakor peers about.  Looks like no one's actively trying to kill him.

Back to testing!

Magic Plan 8675309!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 04, 2012, 09:05:57 am »

"Maybe peace isn't that far off, not total peace mind you. What's the point of magic without test subjects, eh?"

Call out Generic.

((This could end really badly. If I accidentally kill anyone with this, know that it was not intentional. Your death was in the name of science.))
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »

So uh. Is pool generated at the start of the turn or the end of the turn? That's important for my next action.

Edit: As a side note, I'm ok with peace/1v1's.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:02:18 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 04, 2012, 01:03:17 pm »

((End.  I have two pool, have done a two word action, and ended the turn 1/2.))

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 04, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »

Except that with two pool and two words, it doesn't matter. Start with 2 pool from last turn. If you gain pool at the beginning, you have 3 before casting, then 1 after the cast. If you gain pool at the end, you have 1 pool after casting. The result is the same either way. However, with only 1 pool in the last turn, casting a 2 word spell, it will probably fizzle or fail some other way (perhaps only the first word counts) if pool isn't gained at the start. Balance wise gaining pool at the end might make more sense, but we don't know that. I'd rather not test this if I can get an open answer. This is incredibly important for those with only one pool. If pool generates at the start, it would mean you could cast a 1 word spell every turn regardless of your current pool as long as your max pool is 1 or higher. So yeah.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 04, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

If you had a pool of only one point, you could still cast a 1-word spell, losing your point, regenerate it at the end of the turn, then cast one more one-word spell in the next turn. Strictly speaking, it doesn't really matter - whether your pool regeneration is at the end of the previous turn or the beginning of the next one, you still have one extra point when your action begins. I do believe piecewise said it was at the end, though. The only difference is how the status updates - if the point is gained at the end of the turn, your status accurately reflects your condition next turn. If it is gained at the beginning of a turn, it simply has one point of pool less than what you really have at the beginning of the turn.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:31:08 pm by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2012, 01:29:24 pm »

Except that with two pool and two words, it doesn't matter. Start with 2 pool from last turn. If you gain pool at the beginning, you have 3 before casting,

Except you wouldn't have three because your max is two.  If you're trying to sneak in one more word than you have the ability to say, it's not going to work.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 435