Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 956395 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing: Null
« Reply #2505 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:35 am »

press my advantage, take his other hand

I may be at my course when you decide to recommence testing, if thats the case consider my further actions to be the following in descending order.
thrust my sword into superblasts gut and push him off of the arena
Yell Decapitation in a sort of rock singer kind of way then try to sever his head
Cut off his legs
Crash tackle him off the edge.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:29:38 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: February 28, 2013, 03:06:50 am »

Fling blood into his eyes and the stab him in the heart!

(Might have to put the test on hold for a few hours. I'm heading bed. Unless someone takes over... if I'm still alive.)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:09:20 am by superBlast »
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: February 28, 2013, 08:37:41 am »

Blocking is a Str roll vs the Str of the attacker's blow.  The defender needs to roll two or more LESS then the str of the attacker to be hit by the full force of the blow. Anything less then that and they get hit by some but not all of it. Ties go to the defender.
Sorry to interrupt the fight, just trying to understand this. So does this mean that we would want to aim for a lower roll than the attacker in order to block? Or that it is still a block if it is two lower and above? I.E., attacker rolls a four on strength, and in order to block it we need a two or higher? Except if you hit a four... Hm. Yep, I'm confused.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: February 28, 2013, 08:40:24 am »

((So you clash, and the attacker rolls a 5. If the defender rolled a 3, then they would be hit by the attack. If they roll a 4, they get a glancing blow.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: February 28, 2013, 12:48:51 pm »

Alright, I'm back for the rest of the test. Too bad my stats isn't made to be in a melee fight really.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2510 on: February 28, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »

press my advantage, take his other hand

I may be at my course when you decide to recommence testing, if thats the case consider my further actions to be the following in descending order.
thrust my sword into superblasts gut and push him off of the arena
Yell Decapitation in a sort of rock singer kind of way then try to sever his head
Cut off his legs
Crash tackle him off the edge.

Fling blood into his eyes and the stab him in the heart!

(Might have to put the test on hold for a few hours. I'm heading bed. Unless someone takes over... if I'm still alive.)

(now, as you would expect, having your hand cut off sort of distracts you)

[S spd:3-1-1]
[U spd:1+1]
[U dex:3]
[U str:5+1]
[S spd:6-1-1]
[S spd: 5-1]

Super sees Unholy's attack coming at the last second and throws himself back, his armor catching the glancing blow of Unholy's blade. He rolls to his feet and charges back, slashing wildly with the blade in his good hand.

[S Dex:3+1]
[S str: 2-1]
[U spd: 1+1]

Super jabs his knife unholy's chest but twists his wrist and the blow skids off without doing any more damage then to slightly nick Unholy's rather expensive leather armor.

Blocking is a Str roll vs the Str of the attacker's blow.  The defender needs to roll two or more LESS then the str of the attacker to be hit by the full force of the blow. Anything less then that and they get hit by some but not all of it. Ties go to the defender.
Sorry to interrupt the fight, just trying to understand this. So does this mean that we would want to aim for a lower roll than the attacker in order to block? Or that it is still a block if it is two lower and above? I.E., attacker rolls a four on strength, and in order to block it we need a two or higher? Except if you hit a four... Hm. Yep, I'm confused.

It's kind of confusingly worded because I'm not being literal in my "less" use. So the defender needs to roll two or less,  number wise for it to hit.  In other words, a 5 vs a 3 would hit full, but a 5 vs a 4 would only do partial. It sould be "Anything More then that".

Oh, also, if you beat the opponent roll by 3 or more, you get a free counter attack.

((So you clash, and the attacker rolls a 5. If the defender rolled a 3, then they would be hit by the attack. If they roll a 4, they get a glancing blow.))

well, the attacker would have the opportunity to hit with an attack without giving the defender a Spd roll to try and defend himself. If he rolled a 2 dex he would still miss.  Also, that clash thing only happens if one beats the other by 2 or more. SO 5 vs 3 would result in the winner getting a counter attack, while 5 vs 4 would just result in the loser getting a negative the next turn because he got pushed back.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:01 pm »

Keep on stabbing! Aim for the throat this time!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: February 28, 2013, 01:43:49 pm »

And spells are just as normal, except replace combat attack with casting, with relevant rolls and opposed rolls?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: February 28, 2013, 01:50:00 pm »

It's kind of confusingly worded because I'm not being literal in my "less" use. So the defender needs to roll two or less,  number wise for it to hit.  In other words, a 5 vs a 3 would hit full, but a 5 vs a 4 would only do partial. It sould be "Anything More then that".

Oh, also, if you beat the opponent roll by 3 or more, you get a free counter attack.
Ah, I see now. I was confused before when I asked earlier, thinking we needed to take the full blow of the attack, thinking that was what we were blocking, but I see now that is just what gets through, unless I'm misunderstanding. I also see I misread the tie breaker. So it works like this then:

Attacker rolls a five for strength. If the defender rolls a three or below, they fail their block and take the full force of the blow. If they roll a four, they partially succeeded, only taking some of the blow. If they get a five or higher, the attack is blocked, except for some minor penalties. If you get an eight however, you get a free counter attack.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:13 pm »

piecewise, just letting you know I will be away from the internet till sunday.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2515 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:07 pm »

Alright guys, it begins tomorrow.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:39 pm »

Woo!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: February 28, 2013, 11:33:09 pm »

Let's DO THIS THING!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: March 01, 2013, 12:00:43 am »

Yay! Can't wait to magic stuff to death! or my death! Which ever happens first!

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: March 01, 2013, 12:27:00 am »

I'll be lagging behind the others in magical know-how, but I'm confident that I'll get the hang of it in trial-by-fire. After a few characters, that is, heh.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 435