Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 957101 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #5730 on: June 14, 2013, 02:22:19 pm »

Well, do you know the words for vacuum or tongue enchantment?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: June 14, 2013, 02:25:04 pm »

I do. (Says the guy who died twice to death-by-self-implosion and once enchanted his tongue and couldn't speak)
At some point, I'm gonna try draw B9 on someone to see if it inflicts horribly pain at them.

Also, what about the Zentol's Eye (that thing in the cliff-hole)? Perhaps Zentol isn't the horrible eldritch beast we think he is. Perhaps he just has Blue and Orange Morality.
I realize I made things hard on you when you tried that before. However, perhaps there's someone else willing to cooperate with you for that?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: June 14, 2013, 02:42:43 pm »

I do. (Says the guy who died twice to death-by-self-implosion and once enchanted his tongue and couldn't speak)
At some point, I'm gonna try draw B9 on someone to see if it inflicts horribly pain at them.

Also, what about the Zentol's Eye (that thing in the cliff-hole)? Perhaps Zentol isn't the horrible eldritch beast we think he is. Perhaps he just has Blue and Orange Morality.
I realize I made things hard on you when you tried that before. However, perhaps there's someone else willing to cooperate with you for that?
It's far more amusing to do it on random people.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #5733 on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:58 pm »

Hmm.
Is it possible to draw a circle in a item (Such as my staff) so that it casts an spell whenever i want? If three persons cooperated in making that circle, and they made it on three staffs, then that person staff would cast spells based on the runes of the circle with power similar to that of the three persons together?

Im a newfagbie, so if circles dont work like that dont scream at me D:
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: June 14, 2013, 04:19:31 pm »

Not sure if you could draw circles on a staff - they don't really have too large of a surface area, and circles take up a lot of space.

A shield, though, and you might have something. Don't know for sure, though.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #5735 on: June 14, 2013, 04:20:45 pm »

Not sure if you could draw circles on a staff - they don't really have too large of a surface area.

A shield, though, and you might have something.

Has anyone tried making different sized circles of same kind with same runes?
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: June 14, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »

You can draw circles inside circles, I'm pretty sure. So you can downsize them, probably, though it's still unlikely you'll be able to draw one on a staff.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5737 on: June 14, 2013, 04:24:07 pm »

None of the circles we've tested so far are reusable, although there are circles that stay active until the user wills them to deactivate. Those circles would draw pool from all of the circle's creators when active, although I'm not sure how that would work. I mean, if the circle requires only one pool, who gets chosen?

You can draw circles almost everywhere with the right tool and you can make them any size you want.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #5738 on: June 14, 2013, 04:26:28 pm »

None of the circles we've tested so far are reusable, although there are circles that stay active until the user wills them to deactivate. Those circles would draw pool from all of the circle's creators when active, although I'm not sure how that would work. I mean, if the circle requires only one pool, who gets chosen?

You can draw circles almost everywhere with the right tool and you can make them any size you want.
They arent reusable? Such a shame. So many lost possibilities...

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: June 14, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »

They arent reusable? Such a shame. So many lost possibilities...
Maybe with the right runes, they could be reusable, or redrawable so fast it makes no difference. I had a idea for using the words for force, fire, black hole, and beam together to make a hellbore, and with runes, more options have been said to be possible.
EDIT: I think I just figured out how to make a nuclear bomb. And a fusion reactor. I think I need less spare time. And gunpowder. And a tank.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:45:08 pm by ArchAIngel »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5740 on: June 14, 2013, 04:44:06 pm »

They might be and we may just have not yet found the way to do it yet. I think there is a way to do what you want (magic casting objects) with words. I have a theory, I just haven't tested it yet.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: June 14, 2013, 09:39:42 pm »

Come on, people- I know one of you wants to try being full-body vacuum.

Tongue vacuum would be much more hilarious, though, if only for potentially eating your own face.

I would totally do that, if my character was magical. A black hole-solid-force-goo full body shape and see what horrible eldritch being from the beyond I become. But I'm playing something just as good, a hammy pugilist.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5742 on: June 14, 2013, 10:33:15 pm »

Send the lizard across first. If it makes it all the way, follow after it. Runework while the lizard travels.
You don't get very far before the entire damn world starts shaking, like someone has grabbed the tree and is trying to shake the fruit out of it. This makes moving on foot very hard. You do, however, manage not to fall to your death, so thats a thing. You feel like this world may not be the most stable anymore.
[pot:6,2,5,5,6]
Bone, nothing, Wax, sulfur and Good old Garstopit.

Oh.. Yo-Drell help me O_O
Prepare for combat and have the grenade ready.
[Aware:3]
[end:2]
You pull out your grenade but it's for naught. You only notice the thing once it's already got it's fangs on you. It's a Gloomstrider, an enormous black and gray spider covered in bioluminescent nodules. And it's got it's massive fangs on your shoulder and it's thin, obsidian limbs around your body.  It's fangs haven't pierced your stone skin yet, but your face is still vulnerable and it's chomping about in that nervous, jittery, insect way, snapping up your shoulder toward your neck.

More Circles, then, I assume I can feel the shaking, kill myself as soon as I level up Shub-Shalsheil. (Even if that is right after the first circle)
((I don't want to be in this dimension much longer))
((Shrapnel black hole… remind me not to get on your bad side.))
[pot:4]
Helmet- DONE!

You gain a level in favor

Blood summoning: If a summoning circle is drawn with blood, yours or someone else's, they cost half as much.

You kill yourself. You lose a point. You return to the spawn.

[Well, that happened, although wasn't honestly unexpected. Extraordinarily doubt Thrakor will release their souls to respawn, so new character time! Character now, action soon. NOW!]

Spoiler: Jarvis Nunez (click to show/hide)

Jarvis thrusts his fist into the air. "THE TIME IS NIGH TO WIN THE ULTIMATE TOURNAMENT AND CLAIM ULTIMATE POWE--Where the fuck am I." His previously dramatic moment ruined, he inspected his surroundings, them being some dank room with dead people standing around, himself, wearing a white robe for reasons he's not entirely sure, and what he has in his other hand, a leather-bound book it appears to be. Seeing little else to do, he flips a few pages.

Most of it is gibberish to him, some of the words even shifting on their own to try and thwart reading them. Scribbles in the margins point to various ones, saying that they do things, some scribbles scratched out, some underlined. Near the back of the book, there seems to be amount of words written in the margins.

Jarvis shrugged. Whoever that was, some dead guy who was weak it seemed. Too weak to survive out in this new world that he aims to show who's the boss, the REAL BOSS. Taking a moment to violently tear the sleeves off of his robes, he reads the section on deities and heads into the 'Blastel' room that is stated to make one physically powerful. Seeing the alter, the man stared at it for a while. "If you be that which can grant me even more strength to succeed, then you are who I shall follow! Grant me the power to overcome any foe with strength of arm! SHOW ME YOUR POWER BLASTEL, SO I MIGHT SHOW OTHERS MY OWN!" He slits his palm over the basin.

When asked the inevitable question, he steels his face and strikes a pose to show off his muscles. "MY BODY! IT IS THE GREATEST WEAPON I EVER CARE TO KNOW! THE FIGHTING ART OF TRUE MEN, I CARE NOT FOR NO OTHER WEAPON THAN THAT OF THE SWEAT OF A REAL MAN'S BROW AND THE POWER IN THE HUMAN FORM!"
Blastel grants you his melee gear, a pair of heavy spiked knuckles and metal boots that end in a spear point. Your fists are morning stars, your feet metal scorpion stings.

Against his will, Ilral walks to the temple steps, draws his knife, and slits his throat.
You are of no further use.

NEW CHARACTER!
Spoiler: Amanda 'Invader' Zee (click to show/hide)

New character made.Spawned.

Sorry gents- Scarlon ordered it and all that.  But on the bright side, you got to see the first test of the cluster singularity launcher.

"Praise be to Scarlon.  Thanks, buddy!  Um... may I have that other information I asked for*?"

+2 Speed.  If I have to ask the above question at the Temple of Scarlon for a result, do so.  Otherwise, hit up the raider cages and look for souls... er raiders.  Will melee combatants to kill non-melee combatants, or themselves if alone.

Thrakor bowed his head.  "Mighty Scarlon, how would I strengthen my mind to dominate others better and to shield it from mental attack?  Are there words or runes that would help me?"

Ask the above.
"Kill the Betrayer and I shall grant you these words and more."
A voice whispers in your ear. As per raiderland, thats basically cleared out. Anywhere else look fun?

magic and failure

Thats a very impressive spell... im am so glad ive never done anything to piss toaster off.
[pot:6+1]
[will:5,5,1,5,2,]
Four successes away from another level.

((Since when is someone behind me?))
"Welp."
Fall. Fall all the way back to the tree I started on, as fast as I can.
It's GWG. Look up at the rest of the post.

It should be stated that I assume everyone reads all of the posts.

All the way back to the tree is easy; back to where you started exactly? Less easy. You're not really sure where that is anymore.

Back behind you the blackness is coming through the hole in the dome like a waterfall of india ink. India ink filled with teeth. And more holes are appearing across the firmament of the sky, smashed open and flooded by grasping limbs and tendrils.

"Oh heck, oh dang, oh no."

"~Less-fun.~"

Try once more, for fun and all that.
[pot:6]
Big lump of strong steel done.

[will:2,5+1 all]
Now, you can't really put it IN your body, but you can surround yourself in it. Mostly at least. Gotta have air holes. Potentially other holes too, for practicality sake.

"Ah nice out here hmm before going on any divine missives of mercenary work lets just try to get some armour... COULD ANYONE SPARE A FULL SET OF PLATE ARMOUR AROUND HERE?!"
Ask if no affirmatives go and follow the mercenaries

Not sure who you mean. Kisame, who is a million miles away, or Xan, who just became a Blastelian and I assume is gonna go Merc. If only because a band of god powered melee berserk is such a fun idea.

"Ah, Corsair, it's nice to see that you recovered from your, well, unfortunate accident. I'll be able to supply you with equipment. I can enchant the armor to have supernatural enhancements or alternatively, I can equip it with experimental abilities.
Just out of curiosity, what sort of name is "Corsair" exactly? I recently encountered someone else under the exact same name."

Silica says <words> and looks for a position to snipe stormcrows from.
She then turns to face the people at the spawn.

"Hello, would any of you be interested in testing some experimental equipment? You can keep the unit afterwards."

Spoiler: Silica's Catalogue (click to show/hide)
You could snipe them from up the path, but you'd need to blow away the cloudcover to see them.
[pot:5+2]
You get a pile of broken clockwork pieces. Huh.

-1 will

Get out of the temple and try again. It's not like I have something to loose anyway.

((And when you said "burn out" I didn't expect it to be so literal :) ))
[pot:2+1]
Damn.

But I'll save you a bit of time. When you use that spell you'll get an [M] roll. 1 to 6. And then an [end] roll. 1-6, plus natural bonuses.  If the End is higher then the M, you gain the number of M points to your pool. If it's lower, your body is overwhelmed with magic power and you literally burn from the inside out.

"Is theah a wayuh bayck tae tha noamal plays? An' wha tha hayuck is thayut?"

Point to the eye.

After this, Words.
[pot:1]
[end:2-1]
Your head becomes a golden lizard statue. Oh dear. Oh dead.

Lose a point. Although I do like the attempt to summon your namesake.

Lose a point to something.

Guys, we just have to pm the author when we want to cast an spell, but we dont want other people know the words, right?

Also:

I look at the metal staff that just appeared in front of me like if i just saw an ghost. I recover myself and give off a little smile, then i proceed to Grab the Staff. Once (If) accomplished, I walk towards Flux Altar, still following instinct.
You grab your staff and walk to the Altar to Flux. We'll see about that other stuff when I find that other guy. Check in later in the post.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Do I wait for confirmation or just jump in?

If I just jump in:

'Well..... This is odd. And a book. Full of words. Although that tends to happen with books. well, let's see.......
Eight rooms around here. Einie meinie minie mo. Meh. That one sounds cool.

Look around. Go into the Parathun room.
You wander over to parathun's room and poke at the flesh. Heh, fleshy.

Wow. Not ridiculously aggressive? Amazing.
Walk around it, staying away from the light tentacles. If attacked, Garstopit four times. Or if too close for that, use my sword to kill it. If not attacked, say Adamenstiar Zzers Harialltontal Jubhal.
You walk around the strange thing as it stares at you with it's weird, alien glare.

[pot:2+1]
Tiny diamond horse statue. So tiny.

Do the same for my other foot, substituting Shago-shal for the word for right foot. Then activate one and hover in place then deactivate it, to see it's effect.
[pot:5+1]
You begin floating around, mostly being dragged around by your left foot.

NAME: Bob the Destroyer
BACKSTORY: Lol convinced Bob that it was a great idea to go read this amazing book. Bob, after a few hours of Lol having been eaten, decided to read it.
Strength: 0
Endurance: 1
Speed: 1
Dexterity: 3
Awareness: 1
Potency:  1
Will: 1
Channeling: 2

Appear!
"Whelp, this is probably going to go horribly wrong, wherever I am. Hey, look!"
Time to go do STUFF!
You run out to the temple grounds and immediately attempt to murder the nearest person. Lets say thats....Corsair.
[Corsair aware:5-1]
He notices you coming!
[Corsair spd:6+1]
[Spd:5]
[Corsair dex:4+1]
[Corsair str:4+2]
[end:1]
Corsair spins on his heel, his blood red Glaive becoming nothing more then a blur as he turns. Everything goes black as he hacks the top 50% of your head off and then splits you in half from groin to throat with another swift upstroke. The glaive blurs to a stop as he stamps the handle on the ground with a resounding metallic ring.

You are extremely dead.

Lament my new leg. Consider asking the gods about their retirement plans.

Draw A26. Write A31 and A1 in the top portion, and the larger middle gets D1.

If this works anything like I expect, we'll have living plastic office plants.

Give ya a hint. That circle doesn't use runes. Well, not normal sized ones. It can use the large ones, not the others though.

Spoiler: Aldit the Quick (click to show/hide)

I leave the room I appear in. "Hello? Is anyone here? I seem to be a bit lost."

You wander out into the hall of the gods and, in response to your yells, someone responds from one of the rooms off to the side of the hall.

Hmm. Well, in that case just will all my injuries to heal and head off to the fungus forest with my starfish minion and my anti-magic shield.

I got skiiiiipped. :(
Woops. Almost skipped you again too.

Lets say your injuries are healed and that you make it, oh, to the raider camp. Since mechs are slow.

"Cheater."

Leap of faith time! Jump at the Glyph Head, and smash it. Or if out of reach, jump off the spear, and try and throw it at the Head. If I can't do that, bat some rocks at it.

((Fucking flyers.))
Ok so I partially lost this goddamn post after rolling like 15 things for it, but in general here's what happened. You ran up the spear, caught the glyph head  with a blow that sent it to the ground, but it managed to protect itself from damage by shielding itself with a shield of rocks and wood.

((Valley of balanced stones sounds like a very dangerous place if it's literal. I hope it is.))

Kin keeps walking through the valley and says "Quielshar No-noheim". He takes the result with him. Should he get to the end of the valley he will make sure to unbalance the balanced stones if possible.

((Your sister made a great looking tome. I like it very much.))
You emerge from the crevice into the wide open area, a dry basin with high stone walls on all sides. Scattered throughout this basin are thousands of balanced stacks of round, smooth, black river rocks. Some of the rocks are balanced very simply, while others are arranged in ways that seem physically impossible. At the exact center of the basin is a stack of 8 boulders, balanced tip to tip, standing a dozen meters high. Something about them, about this entire place, seems deeply unsettling. It is perfectly silent.

[pot:1]
Well...you don't get hurt so much as you get trapped. Because now you're embedded in a tree.

Cainthalsaz Aels Gars
If that works, fly away; if not shape a small platform from the Sand Whip to stand on, and levitate away

[pot:4+1]
You summon up some wings and promptly flap your way up out of the crater.

WORDS
That still doesn't work.You need a third word, friend. Try...blood.

[pot:4]
You make a steel-flesh bear thats under your control. It's "Intelligent" too, but...a bit slow.

Reenact the childhood game of "Don't Step on the Cracks" to avoid soiling by boots with old blood and other vile fluids as I make my way to the only really item of note in the room (besides the gore) the desk.  Search the desk for anything useful like a key or some insightful notes someone may have left behind and then continue on into the light.

The desk has some papers on it, though none of them are in a language you understand. However, they look like a tournament bracket of sorts and a list of what might be names. The bracket is strange though, since it doesn't narrow to one, rather it just ends after about 3/4th of the contestants have been eliminated.

"A true fighting heart? A companion like you will be most useful. Now if you'll excuse me for just a few seconds, I think my book mentioned something about some gods."

I go into Flux's room and cut my hand above his basin.
You walk into flux's room and...
[Aware:2]
[sarzael dex:4]
[sarzael str:4-1]
[end:6-1]
Some asshole cracks you upside the head with a metal rod. OW JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK MAN? YOU THINK YOU MIGHT BE BLEEDING! WHAT THE HELL.

Wow.  Got back from my trip all excited about what might have happened in Perplexicon, and then it turns out I have done exactly nothing, despite going to lengths to avoid precisely that!

*sigh*  No crying over spilt uristrast...

Here's my action, same as the last one before my trip.  Ignore Paris's action for me.

Spoiler: New Character (click to show/hide)
Immediately upon spawning, exit the building.  Say the below word.
"Ahh, Hello World!  It's good to have a body again.  Oh, I also have something to tell you: ZENTOL!

And yes, I AM certain I want to say Zentol wih that character!  I don't care if I destroy the temple, or kill the char or whatever.  Just say the freaking word. >:I

On a less angry note, Sarzael, after this char dies (So probably very soon) I'll be playing a speedy mage dedicated to Flux.  Would you like to form an adventure pair?

Sorry, thats my fault.  :(

You run outside and yell you know what. The black hands basically tear your brain out and put you in a new body.

Travel West
This field, locked within the rotting expanses of the mushroom forest, is strangely beautiful. The field appears to be an expanse of tall grass, but at the top of each blade is a marble sized ball of shining blue bioluminesence. As you step through the plants these balls break lose and float up into the air like a jar of fireflies set free. They swirl overhead like lost stars before eventually settling back into the grass.

Just ahead is what looks like a small pond or pool, and the mushroom forest waits just behind you.

Also up ahead is a giant praying mantis with white carapace and bright blue compound eyes. A greenish fluid drips from the tips of its spiked claws and lands on the soft ground with a boiling hiss.

"That did... exactly what the notes said it did. A lump... of living flesh. Ew. But if it's as useful as this book claims...
Words
(By the way, it's at this point in the post, after 6 hours of work, that I begin to wonder when the posts will ever end.)

[pot:5+2]
You summon a goddamn zombie flying tiger. It's like a dragon, but it's a tiger. Also a zombie.

Zombie flying tiger.

Well, that was unpleasant. Walk back towards the village.
You make it back to the Village center.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5743 on: June 14, 2013, 10:34:31 pm »

And then it does.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: June 14, 2013, 10:44:59 pm »

"You currently don't have any ranged weapons, what sort of specifications would you like for them?"
I might as well deactivate the unit, leave it to the people inside to decide...
Silica says <words>, she rescinds her runic activation permission. She then gives Corsair her greatbow and beam-katana.
She immediately returns to the anti-magic zone.

Spoiler: Silica's Catalogue (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:23:58 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 435