Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 957181 times)

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6000 on: June 22, 2013, 01:20:43 pm »

Oh, just thought of a good point for having points in speed:

Getting to act first can be VERY important, no matter what spec you are. You can't cast spells of mass destruction or use mind powers if you get squished/vapourised/skewered/etc before you can do anything.

Also, having no Endurance means you are fragile like glass when it comes to dealing with the inevitable injuries. Not exactly a good thing in a game where you can die in one hit...

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6001 on: June 22, 2013, 01:34:36 pm »

@Sarzael: Yeah, but that leaves you with little awareness, dexterity, strength and speed, which means you're vulnerable to those kind of attacks. Which is fine if you have a team to back you up, only focusing on science and creating interesting objects and maybe acting as support or using spells of mass destruction, like I do, not so fine if you go solo.

What does it matter? I can use will to make my flesh hard as metal, with added fireproof and acidproof abilities, making my bones weight less for speed, i may even get some points to will from modifiying my mind. I may make my skin filter oxygen from water, and kick poison, making myself able to breath underwater and poison proof, i may make my eyes have nocturnal vision, thermal vision, and see way further away than normal ones.

And i still got 12 Freaking summonings which can be made of up to 29 words. 29x12=348 Words. 348 Words will help me defend myself. Who wouldnt want an living winged sword made out of 26 different elements that protects me at all times? (My enemy pretty much)

It doesnt matter if my opponent is phisically better (Which will be hard considering i will make my body godlike) when i got 12 powerful creatures to defend myself? Not to speak about allies. And even if the opponent has resistance to direct will attacks, i can still make the earth around him become as hot as molten rock.

Thats another fun thing, it doesnt matter if you have control about one item or about twenty, since with high enough will you can make anything get same charasterictics as something.

You can make cloth become hard as steel, it will be cloth, but with the charasterictics of steel. I could make a rain of swords of dirt and wood as lethal as a rain of swords of flaming diamond and steel.

And i can also further increasing my own power by stacking words over my whole body, i currently know words for Strong and Speed. I just combine those with Whole Body and get more power.

Those are just some reasons for which Will is over anything else, besides Channeling (Which pretty much everyone needs) and maybe Potency. Physical stats are only useful at the beggining.

Anyways once i get the souls i need, i shall use those powers for helpful stuff. Except that someone tries to hurt me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:39:01 pm by Sarzael »
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: June 22, 2013, 01:38:52 pm »

((Until the inevitable shit roll, that allows someone to smack you.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6003 on: June 22, 2013, 01:39:14 pm »

((Until the inevitable shit roll, that allows someone to smack you.))
You cant have shit rolls when you have +4 to the dice in will. Will pretty much makes yourself able to get every other stats to the next level too.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: June 22, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »

[FELLOW BLASTELLIANS, WE MUST SHOW THE ERROR OF THIS MAN'S WAY, PHYSICAL POWER TRUMPS ALL IN THE ARENA OF TRUE FIGHTING! TRUE HONOR! TRUE BLOODSHED!/Ham]

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6005 on: June 22, 2013, 01:40:41 pm »

[FELLOW BLASTELLIANS, WE MUST SHOW THE ERROR OF THIS MAN'S WAY, PHYSICAL POWER TRUMPS ALL IN THE ARENA OF TRUE FIGHTING! TRUE HONOR! TRUE BLOODSHED!/Ham]

I have decided my next character will be a woman. That way you will feel bad for killing a woman (Or better, a little girl!). Anyways, of course, i wont have this kind of power at beggining. Is more of an over time thing. It still doesnt stop me of getting three initial companions of up to 4 words.

And anyways, in my next char i wont deliberately try to slay any player, its more like i will unleash the beasts i will make to hunt me some souls among the NPCs. That char was more of a test.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:53:28 pm by Sarzael »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6006 on: June 22, 2013, 01:43:06 pm »

There's limits to what you can do with will. To quote piecewise:
I'm also made out of fungus now, right? if so, then I want to make some further improvements. I want to turn myself into a flying fungus squid. My new form should be aerodynamic, (+dex/speed), should have eyes all over it's body (+Awareness, Dex/Speed), have a decentralized nervous system (+end, aware), redundant organs(+end), and have ten tentacles: 4 long thin ones with blades on the ends (+dex/speed, damage), 4 shorter thick ones that can fire fungus spore darts, which will consume whatever they hit, and two long thick ones I can use to bash people with (+str). I then want to turn my minions into stationary mushrooms outside the base, and remove their intelligence, so I have the minion slots open. After that, take some fungus and attach it to that plate of anti-magic metal Paris made, so I can levitate it around as a shield. My mech should become a large starfish creature, with very high strength and endurance. One all that's done, if I still have actions, levitate myself, my shield, and my starfish to the mushroom forest.
There are limits to what you can physically do, and the more you raise a stat the more everything else will drop in contrast. Marks avoid this because they're magic, but if you start raising dex and speed to stupidly high levels your str and end are gonna plummet. It's gonna be a game of raising one, losing another, raising it back and then losing the other.

Not to mention that if you keep mutating yourself and empowering yourself like that you might attract the attention of...well lets just say somethings might take notice.
But anyway, seems like I can't convince you. No matter. Your failures will. Like they did with me.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: June 22, 2013, 01:44:17 pm »

((Just remember no one is invincible.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: June 22, 2013, 01:45:20 pm »

Twas mostly a joke, but Blastellian is suppose to largely level the playing field for those who focus on the physical and those who focus on the magical, only way to make Jarvis attack another player is for them to, well, attack him or an ally of his.

Did I share how minion counts work? Piecewise talked about it a while ago, and I ran afoul of it too. You can have one minion at 1 Wil, two at 4, three at 7, four at 10, five at 13, etc. Figure this might help you out a bit.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6009 on: June 22, 2013, 01:46:51 pm »

There's limits to what you can do with will. To quote piecewise:
I'm also made out of fungus now, right? if so, then I want to make some further improvements. I want to turn myself into a flying fungus squid. My new form should be aerodynamic, (+dex/speed), should have eyes all over it's body (+Awareness, Dex/Speed), have a decentralized nervous system (+end, aware), redundant organs(+end), and have ten tentacles: 4 long thin ones with blades on the ends (+dex/speed, damage), 4 shorter thick ones that can fire fungus spore darts, which will consume whatever they hit, and two long thick ones I can use to bash people with (+str). I then want to turn my minions into stationary mushrooms outside the base, and remove their intelligence, so I have the minion slots open. After that, take some fungus and attach it to that plate of anti-magic metal Paris made, so I can levitate it around as a shield. My mech should become a large starfish creature, with very high strength and endurance. One all that's done, if I still have actions, levitate myself, my shield, and my starfish to the mushroom forest.
There are limits to what you can physically do, and the more you raise a stat the more everything else will drop in contrast. Marks avoid this because they're magic, but if you start raising dex and speed to stupidly high levels your str and end are gonna plummet. It's gonna be a game of raising one, losing another, raising it back and then losing the other.

Not to mention that if you keep mutating yourself and empowering yourself like that you might attract the attention of...well lets just say somethings might take notice.
But anyway, seems like I can't convince you. No matter. Your failures will. Like they did with me.

I think that was Angle? And isnt Angle a Nul Sheal Fungus Man? He doesnt have anything to do with me. Aside of that we will probably be allies.

Five sentient allies will be enough. I will simply make everything else non sentient. I dont need 4 living swords that protect me. I can have 4 swords that move due to my mind and attack my enemies.

High enough rolls in will allows you to do (Almost) ANYTHING. With a 6+4=10 i feel like i could split a continent in half. (Probably not though).

And i wont do as many changes as Angle was triying to do. Plus hes a Nul Sheal person, i dont know if he works same way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:21:30 pm by Sarzael »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6010 on: June 22, 2013, 01:54:56 pm »

I think that was Angle? And isnt Angle a Nul Sheal Fungus Man? He doesnt have anything to do with me. Aside of that we will probably be allies.

What Angle was triying to do was use his will to directly increase is strenght. I dont do that, i simply change my organism in order to be stronger (Which may or may not end up in getting better stats)
Read post again.
Rhetorical Question: What is Angle trying to do?
Answer: Angle is trying to modify his body.
Rhetorical Question: What are you going to try to do?
Answer: Modify your body.
Rhetorical Question: What does piecewise say about that?
Answer: It can't be done the way you want it to be done.
Rhetorical Question: Why?
Answer: Those bonuses cancel each other out.

There is little difference in what you're trying to do and what Angle was trying to do.

And to control your other (non-living) things you need to do a will roll. The more things you control at the same time, the more it strains you, so you start having things like headaches, bleeding nose and worse.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:56:56 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: June 22, 2013, 01:56:32 pm »

I'm actually really wondering about Parathun worship. What sorts of things would he get you once you get in deep enough with him, that kinda thing. Could make for very interesting results.

Now to figure out how "spilling blood in his name" works.

As for a way to decrease slowdowns, I'm in favor of just adding a player cap of, say, 10 to 20. Though I hope that respawning still works in that case. Sure, the world will feel emptier, but at least you won't have to wait 4 days to get your word-science or walk through the woods over with. Also, I wouldn't have much of a problem with keeping up with my own status.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6012 on: June 22, 2013, 01:59:08 pm »

What Angle was triying to do was use his will to directly increase is strenght. I dont do that, i simply change my organism in order to be stronger (Which may or may not end up in getting better stats)
Read post again.
Rhetorical Question: What is Angle trying to do?
Answer: Angle is trying to modify his body.
Rhetorical Question: What are you going to try to do?
Answer: Modify your body.
Rhetorical Question: What does piecewise say about that?
Answer: It can't be done.

There is little difference in what you're trying to do and what Angle was trying to do.

And to control your other (non-living) things you need to do a will roll. The more things you control at the same time, the more it strains you, so you start having things like headaches, bleeding nose and worse.

I edited my post before you posted this. I can still do something though... Make an armor to cover up my endurance and will to make it light as air. Then make it glow spikes outward to hurt who tries to hit me. And make those spikes extremely poisonous. There are options. If you cant do something, theres always a workaround.
And i dont think that if i barely make my blood acid and give me regenerative powers (As those dont up any stats, except maybe endurance) will make the other stats go down.

And you CAN modify your body, just not to much. Then for speed and strenght ill just use tatoos. There is kinda no difference beetween have 1 speed and strenght as to have 2.

It only cancel each other out if you put them to levels to high. If you put three additional points in different stats you wont lose anything
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:09:25 pm by Sarzael »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6013 on: June 22, 2013, 02:07:07 pm »

What if your enemy has better speed then you? What if he gets to attack first (or even ambushes you) and manages to throw a cluster blackhole at you? Or even worst, what if he's desperate enough to use Zentol against you?
And there are other words you do not know about, words that can bypass anything physical and affect things directly. One would only need a good speed and dex roll to kill you using those words, perhaps by turning your armor into a blackhole, or by simply turning the air around you into Destruction.
What I'm trying to say is, there is no perfect build. Whatever you do, there will always be a way for someone to be able to defeat you. That's why I'm continuing this argument, because I find it hard to accept that somebody could believe otherwise.

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6014 on: June 22, 2013, 02:18:53 pm »

What if your enemy has better speed then you? What if he gets to attack first (or even ambushes you) and manages to throw a cluster blackhole at you? Or even worst, what if he's desperate enough to use Zentol against you?
And there are other words you do not know about, words that can bypass anything physical and affect things directly. One would only need a good speed and dex roll to kill you using those words, perhaps by turning your armor into a blackhole, or by simply turning the air around you into Destruction.
What I'm trying to say is, there is no perfect build. Whatever you do, there will always be a way for someone to be able to defeat you. That's why I'm continuing this argument, because I find it hard to accept that somebody could believe otherwise.

When did i say my build is perfect? I said that in my opinion, will is the best stats. Such as someone can tell you strenght is better than magic.
Who would be desesperate enough to add eyes to kill me? Maybe someone who wants souls. But i know there are ways to survive Zentol.

Also, there are 44 material words. That means i wouldnt need more than 24 channeling to be able to control all of them. That gives me 5 points which i can put in speed and awareness.

Pretty sure there is also a way to survive black holes in armor or turning air around myself into destruction. Theres anti-magic metal. I just make my armor out of anti magic material and then modify it as i like.
What if theres no air around myself to turn into destruction? I could probably get an speed roll to use my air control to move all air away from myself for a seconds, then breath again.
If they say Zentol, well, i know black hole words. And somewhere they told that it can be used to counter Zentol. I will have control over vacuum (And thus over black holes) thus i will be able to make it safe for myself, but not for anyone else. (Or i can just create a wall beetween it and me)

Also ambushes will be unlikely as i will have five sentient minions to help me.

Anyways, apart of the mask what more powers Scarlon gives you?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:21:38 pm by Sarzael »
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 435