Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 956402 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6090 on: June 25, 2013, 11:38:51 pm »

Yes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: June 26, 2013, 12:00:31 am »

Sounds interesting, although the inability to accidentally summon a nine foot tall spider made of liquid flame at the start of the game gives me pause.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: June 26, 2013, 03:33:53 am »

I really like the idea of the starved magus. Probably because food-based magic is such an oft-ignored concept.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6093 on: June 26, 2013, 03:45:26 am »

I really like the idea of the starved magus. Probably because food-based magic is such an oft-ignored concept.
Yeah, me too. I'd probably go wither for a SM (because I can eat the hearts of my enemies) or an Artificer (because it fits with what I've been doing in Perplexicon and because of magical robots).

What troubles me is how will faction combat work (a problem I also have with Perplexicon) since people can (probably) respawn after being killed. Except if there are NPCs fighting in the faction battles along with players and pure player teams only appear in missions. Or if you can somehow barricade or otherwise protect an area. Or maybe the bonuses that you receive when killing or protecting an area is enough. Or if you can only attack in turns between mission or something like that.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:18 am »

I don't think people will be able to respawn there, since I don't see any reason why that would be the case. It doesn't seem like souls are as important there as in Perplexicon.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: June 26, 2013, 04:30:18 am »

Yeah, especially considering that while Bloodskimmers primarily power themselves with souls, it would be likely that all magic users have that capability. Hence souls would be lost on death.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6096 on: June 26, 2013, 04:38:31 am »

((I was referring to the more metagamy sense of respawning, in the sense of rejoining the game with a different character, the same way you do on Perplexicon.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: June 26, 2013, 04:47:03 am »

((In that case it really depends on how similar the magic system is to Perplexicon, measures to restrict metaknowledge flow might have to be used to prevent factions suddenly gaining all the knowledge of their opponents. There are a few possibilities for ensuring this, one option is to have different magic for each faction since they use vastly different power sources, alternatively, a player might be restricted to their initial faction.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6098 on: June 26, 2013, 07:33:23 am »

That's actually starting to sound pretty awesome.  I love good post-apoc, I love the intricate magic system, I love the concept of a high level strategy game, with the people actually fighting it out in person, I love good roleplaying, and I love the term "Mad Max with wizards".  Actually, I think I'll sig that last one.

The one thing I don't love is the relative scarcity of magic.  The intricate system's no fun if you only get to play with it twice a week.

I'll switch my vote to go directly to 3, IF magic is common enough with any of those classes to cast a decent spell every other turn or so.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: June 26, 2013, 07:52:53 am »

((I think magic is scarce in terms of the number of people and objects that actually have magical capabilities. I doubt that the players would have much trouble powering their magic seeing as Bloodskimmers have plenty of victims, Starved Magus can access food to replenish bodymass and Artificers seem to create magical systems rather than directly employing it.))

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: June 26, 2013, 08:30:10 am »

((I think magic is scarce in terms of the number of people and objects that actually have magical capabilities. I doubt that the players would have much trouble powering their magic seeing as Bloodskimmers have plenty of victims, Starved Magus can access food to replenish bodymass and Artificers seem to create magical systems rather than directly employing it.))

Respawning could be a thing if it means a loss in power for your group. I like the idea of Mage Breakers and Artificers myself.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:04 am »

Respawning could be a thing if it means a loss in power for your group.
Maybe "respawning" and entering a "gang" requires an "initiation" rite?

Speaking of "gangs," I'd prefer it if the factions weren't just a Mage Eater faction, an Artificer faction, a Bloodskimmer faction, etc, but rather a number of groups which may focus on one kind of magic but can have other kinds in it, and are defined past "We use Magic X!"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: June 26, 2013, 09:04:33 am »

I think it's more how magic is obtained than what's used.

For instance-
I think a Starved Magi would be able to convert fat into a fireball, getting thinner in the process.
A Bloodskimmer could throw a mouse or two and sacrifice it on the fly, turning mice into a fireball
An Artificer could build a bigass fireball cannon
A Mage Breaker could have a flamethrower-like gun. But with fireballs. If they have a similar system, who knows.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: June 26, 2013, 09:13:11 am »

Same idea--there should be more than magical source tying the factions together.

And I'd imagine that there is differing methodology betwixt the methods.
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6104 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:30 am »

((They're gangs. Gangs have gang colours, methods, music, names. They're not government sanctioned, they're not in it for the science. They're packs of humans and to be part of the pack you have to obay its rituals. Just like you wouldn't expect to see a stereotypical Italian mobster without a suit and a funny accent, you can't see those mages follow different methodologies and continue to be part of the group, because anything different would set them as the enemy.

I dunno, that's the way I see it anyway. Seems natural to me. And there are lots of real life examples.))
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 435