Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 655480 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2490 on: October 01, 2013, 03:30:58 pm »

Quantum computers are mostly useful for problems that have algorithms in the BQP complexity class (such as Shor's Algorithm) that don't have algorithms in any other feasible complexity class. This is a pretty small selection of problems, I imagine, since I couldn't find anything other than integer factorization for which this is the case.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:50 am »

Another Kickstarter project has hit troubled waters, StarDrive, a sci-fi 4X had its Kickstarter funded with promised features including multiplayer.

On beta release, multiplayer was not available (Among other smaller issues), and the dev (Zero of Zero Sum Games, which appears to be a one-man company) commented that he would not be including multiplayer in any release of the game. There was outrage on the Steam forums, with people posting to warn potential buyers off like this.

The game was on a Steam sale recently, and during the sale, the Steam forums for the game were purged of any posts like that above, causing even more anger.

Post complaining about it on reddit, the dev posted a response.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:21 am »

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: October 11, 2013, 12:21:45 pm »

StarDrive

F*ck, I bought that on Steam.

It at least looks like the game has a lot of the promised features, it's just missing a few notable ones. Plus the dev's handling of the whole issue was horribly done.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: October 11, 2013, 03:16:58 pm »

So if I understand this... people are ornery over the multiplayer promise not being fulfilled?  (Plus the reactionary silencing of criticism afterwards?)  Or is there more to it?

I think we also had a thread of this particular game in our other games section, but too many space games and this one never stood out for me.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: October 11, 2013, 06:02:56 pm »

Kickstarter Funder has to learn, that anything promise on a kickstarter, isn't a guarantee.

Making things, tend to take a life on their own, and there are just road blocks that you might not be able to over come.

So Stardrive not getting multiplayer would never strike me as that big of a deal. If it was the lynch pin that made me want to support the game. Ah well. Kickstarter is always a gamble. And that time, I backed the wrong horse.

And maybe the Dev could have handle it better. But honestly, even if he was 100 percent transparent as to why he couldnt/wouldnt include multiplayer, that probably wouldn't stop the butt hurt of it not being there.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: October 11, 2013, 06:26:09 pm »

So Stardrive not getting multiplayer would never strike me as that big of a deal. If it was the lynch pin that made me want to support the game.

It was one feature that made me buy it on steam, as I would love a good multiplayer game to play with friends.
Not the lynch pin, but definitely one of those "oh and when X, then Y, that makes this totally worth it."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: October 11, 2013, 06:49:46 pm »

And maybe the Dev could have handle it better. But honestly, even if he was 100 percent transparent as to why he couldnt/wouldnt include multiplayer, that probably wouldn't stop the butt hurt of it not being there.
Wouldn't stop the butt hurt, but he's coming off as a dick, AND it's probably trashed his reputation.

Reputation doesn't matter. How many folks are actually aware of Fez developer being a whiny asshat?

EDIT: Erroneous is.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 09:51:46 pm by MrWiggles »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: October 11, 2013, 08:17:13 pm »

Wouldn't stop the butt hurt, but he's coming off as a dick, AND it's probably trashed his reputation.

Reputation is doesn't matter. How many folks are actually aware of Fez developer being a whiny asshat?

Considering the amount of lashback he got from his comments has caused him to quit the gaming scene?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52:59 pm »

Reputation is doesn't matter. How many folks are actually aware of Fez developer being a whiny asshat?

Considering the amount of lashback he got from his comments has caused him to quit the gaming scene?
Did he actually quit? I knew he took Fez2 home because the internet has bunch of meanies.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: October 12, 2013, 12:35:45 am »

Did he actually quit? I knew he took Fez2 home because the internet has bunch of meanies.

I believe he said he was done with game design in general, though hold your hats for the inevitable backtrack.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: November 22, 2013, 02:32:05 am »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: November 22, 2013, 02:47:23 am »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2503 on: November 22, 2013, 05:25:58 am »

What da heck does that mean.

Recursively chown from me to me? Why'd you even do that?
Course, -R probably doesn't mean recursive (which I guess is -r)...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: November 22, 2013, 06:51:52 am »

What da heck does that mean.

Recursively chown from me to me? Why'd you even do that?
Course, -R probably doesn't mean recursive (which I guess is -r)...

chown -R changes owners for subcategories and their files as well.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 213