Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1442849 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup:
Kerbin TWR 2 = Mun TWR 12

That's why you are finding such low values for TWR Nao: you are forgetting dividing by 0.166

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile

Hol-ee sheet. Just did my first dock (I know, behind the times) and hell, was it stressful. It took about 10 iterations of my craft (which was just 4 empty fuselages) until I managed it, and I still have to do that again for my station plan... YAY! :P
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Hol-ee sheet. Just did my first dock (I know, behind the times) and hell, was it stressful. It took about 10 iterations of my craft (which was just 4 empty fuselages) until I managed it, and I still have to do that again for my station plan... YAY! :P

Still haven't bothered to make a station or dock. :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

You'll never have had a stressful dock until you misjudge the speed of your 60-ton SSTO monstrocity and have to push RCS for all it's worth to pirouette the thing over the forest of solar panels and protruding habitation modules of your orbital refuelling depot. Fumbled approach disregarded, the docking itself went comparatively smooth afterwards. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile

Still haven't bothered to make a station or dock. :P
Don't. Just, stay away. :D

You'll never have had a stressful dock until you misjudge the speed of your 60-ton SSTO monstrocity and have to push RCS for all it's worth to pirouette the thing over the forest of solar panels and protruding habitation modules of your orbital refuelling depot. Fumbled approach disregarded, the docking itself went comparatively smooth afterwards. :P
Um... Yeah, I'll keep right away from that, thank you very much.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

During a ultra-heavy docking (something like fifty tons of extremely heavy, wobbly spare parts), I bumped the station and feared it would fall apart, what with all its shaking. XD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So.. in other news, I have now installed two extra mods to my usual complement of "KSPX and nothing else, if that".

First one is the FAR plugin, the one dealing with improved aerodynamics. I find that it greatly helps when you can designate surfaces to only control certain directions, as well as create flaps and airbrakes. The extra aerodynamics... well, on one hand they make things easier. For rocketry, they're a tremendous improvement (so much so that if KSP ever adopts a similar system, many rocket parts will need rebalancing), and I actually feel like an Eve ascent vehicle is now quite feasible. On the other hand.... some of its additions to realism are going to take some getting used to. Control surfaces can no longer be mounted "just anywhere". At supersonic speeds, they become less effective. The lift from wings is now modeled in such a different way that I'll have to relearn building spaceplanes. But all in all, it's a welcome change.

The second mod is the absolutely awesome subassembly plugin. It's not really a "mod" since it doesn't alter parts, but the VAB/SPH functionality it provides is... phenomenal. With it, you can build a rover in the SPH, then save it as a sub-assembly, so that you can put it on your lifter rocket in the VAB. You can save lifter stages, pusher stages, custom booster stages, escape pods, landers (unpiloted ones), anything. Anything that doesn't require crew to be in it at the start of the mission, you can save and load with this tool. It's very, very useful.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Both seem to be very much vanilla-worthy, without any people who would argue against. :D

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Both seem to be very much vanilla-worthy, without any people who would argue against. :D
Second one yes.
First one: Eh, some people find realism to be boring/hard/makes it difficult to make silly shaped things. :P

That said, I still find FAR to be cool. I'm just afraid to actually use the damn thing, I'm already a terrible enough pilot as is.\

EDIT: I have, however, done some research, Sky. This should prove to you that SSTO is hard. :P

Quote from: Wikipedia page 'single-stage-to-orbit'
For pure rocket approaches Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation shows that dead weight will prevent reaching orbit unless the ratio of propellant to structural mass (called mass ratio) is very high — between about 10 and 25 (i.e. 24 parts propellant weight to 1 part structural weight; depending on propellant choice).[citation needed]

IIRC, the ratio of total mass to dry mass of stock KSP rocket tanks is 9 (excluding the tiny tanks, which I don't remember off the top of my head). And that number is of course larger than the ratio of propellant to structure. So yeah. Pure rocket SSTOs are somewhat out of reach with stock parts. Obviously, airbreathing ones are not. I'm just not that good at piloting. :/

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:08:09 am by Twi »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I don't think SSTOs are supposed to be made with pure rocket fuel.... XD

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I don't think SSTOs are supposed to be made with pure rocket fuel.... XD

Yes, there's a reason for that. :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

IIRC, the ratio of total mass to dry mass of stock KSP rocket tanks is 9
8, actually. 16 mass units of fuel to 2 mass units of tank, scaled proportionally so that no one tank is more efficient than others.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

IIRC, the ratio of total mass to dry mass of stock KSP rocket tanks is 9
8, actually. 16 mass units of fuel to 2 mass units of tank, scaled proportionally so that no one tank is more efficient than others.

Total mass to dry mass, I said. Also I was laaaazy.

Silly Mirrsen, using numbers that weren't explicitly given to you. :P

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SSTO's are hard :<
SSTOs aren't hard, you just have to make them a little silly.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Aesthetically pleasing ones are. :P
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 848