Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1442807 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I don't really get how you could 'accidentally' decouple, although I never keep a finger on a key until I need it so I might just be an oddity.
Nothing important here, move along.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I don't really get how you could 'accidentally' decouple, although I never keep a finger on a key until I need it so I might just be an oddity.
I respect your trigger discipline.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

Thanks.

Also, what's the minimum fuel can I'd need to land on the Mun and then get back to Kerbin? I'm not sure I'm a proficient engineer to make a lander stage separately, much less a good enough pilot to try and get back to the transfer stage.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First: Get something that reports Dv stats - Mechjeb and Engineer work.
When beginning a landing and takeoff, to bring back to Kerbin and making a parachute landing from a crash course (not attempting a kerbin orbit), you generally want to bring about 2,000 or so.  The amount of fuel you need depends entirely on your vessel's weight and engine type.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

If it helps anything I managed to land on the mun and return to kerbin without having to reconnect to a booster, with the short medium size engine and a single long medium size fuel tank. 

Fraid I don't know the part names, but hopefully the vague description helps.  But that should be all you need to deorbit, land, and return to kerbin from mun orbit.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:19:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I'm trying to stay completely vanilla, because I'm badass lazy. Honestly, I know nothing about rocket science, so I'd just be getting numbers that mean nothing to me anyway.

On top of that I'm playing Career mode.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because the same key does different things in different situations, and sometimes you may think you're in one situation but you're actually in the other (like in my case). My finger was on the key because I wanted to use it, it just didn't do what I wanted it to do!

Also, I had no idea Alt-L locked stages. That is amazing! Thanks for the tip.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really, something to measure your Dv is pretty vital.  It SHOULD be vanilla more than ANYTHING.  It's probably more important than maneuver nodes, actually - especially considering that nodes display the Dv required, without telling you how much you have.  And these mods are purely informational, just like the altitude display or the map.

A basic lander than can return, would be a capsule, science jr, 3 of the shortest 1m tanks, 909, and landing gear.  Easy way to land is to just face retrograde, then bring your velocity close no zero about 5km, and then do so again at 500m, and ease it down.  Use the IVA view, the radar altimeter in the lower right shows a more accurate view than the display in the upper view.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm trying to stay completely vanilla, because I'm badass lazy. Honestly, I know nothing about rocket science, so I'd just be getting numbers that mean nothing to me anyway.

On top of that I'm playing Career mode.

The whole point in getting your rocket's delta-v from Engineer (or mechjeb) is so that you don't have to do any math.  The numbers from maneuver nodes are in units of delta-v, so you can simply look at your maneuver nodes and see if you have enough delta-v left in your rocket to perform the maneuvers.  Otherwise, you just have your fuel meters, which is a horrible indicator since it depends entirely on vessel mass and engine efficiency.

Ninja'd.  What Girlinhat said.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

I've been looking into TAC's life support mod, but the spaceport link is off. Can anybody help?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Could always kinda guesstimate.  It takes roughly 4500 m/sec delta v to get in orbit around kerbin.  Just think of those big monster rockets you need to get into orbit and compare 4500 to how much delta v the node says you need.  Then imagine yer lifter rocket stripped down by that ratio.  That's how much rocket you need.

Yes I know upper stage engines are more efficient than the big berthas, and that 4500 delta-v to get into kerbin orbit is for an ideal launch.

It's incredibly unscientific, but that's what makes it dwarven, and so far I haven't run out of fuel for what I planned to do yet, and only once had entirely too much fuel for a mission.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

My go-to design-fix is "Am I running out of fuel? ADD MORE FUEL."

"Am I below 2G? ADD MORE ENGINES."

And "Am I wasting power? ADD SOLID FUEL BOOSTERS."

Hasn't failed me yet! :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

"Is it exploding prematurely? ADD MORE STRUTS."

"Is it working perfectly? ADD MORE PAYLOAD."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile

So what all mods do y'all recommend/use? Currently I am using engineer, but I was wondering if I should get FAR or anything like that. It took me a couple days but I got through career mode, but if I changed the game mechanics up a bit with mods I'd probably go through career again.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 848