Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1439010 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tried reentering with a heat shield but screw that my ship flips over and starts facing the wrong way, destroying all of the science that I got (but leaving Valentina intact)

This is a problem with the heat shields right now. For some reason they are marked as physicsless so their mass is ignored, but thanks to the new aerodynamics they still affect the airflow. This makes the pod want to flip on an angle, and it gets even worse if you have parts between the pod and the shield.

To "fix" the problem you can edit the part config. The heat shields all have this line: "PhysicsSignificance = 1", which makes the part physicsless. Comment it out or delete it and the heat shields will have weight. I haven't tested extensively but with actual mass the heat shields seem to behave much more realistically. It still isn't as stable as just a pod on its own but you won't have to fight to keep your craft from flipping over and burning up.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I tried reentering with a heat shield but screw that my ship flips over and starts facing the wrong way, destroying all of the science that I got (but leaving Valentina intact)

This is a problem with the heat shields right now. For some reason they are marked as physicsless so their mass is ignored, but thanks to the new aerodynamics they still affect the airflow. This makes the pod want to flip on an angle, and it gets even worse if you have parts between the pod and the shield.

To "fix" the problem you can edit the part config. The heat shields all have this line: "PhysicsSignificance = 1", which makes the part physicsless. Comment it out or delete it and the heat shields will have weight. I haven't tested extensively but with actual mass the heat shields seem to behave much more realistically. It still isn't as stable as just a pod on its own but you won't have to fight to keep your craft from flipping over and burning up.

THANK YOU. This is the second most annoying thing I have found in this version. Top is that Kerbals still don't know what welding is and thus all my fuel tanks are not the solid block of metal they should be, but are instead a loosely strung together wobbly piece of bullshit.

Ok, that WOULD HAVE been helpful if I knew how the shit to open stupid config files. Because no one in the fucking universe ever thinks "Hey, maybe we should actually use files people can OPEN with common utilities like notepad" they think "Hey, you know what we should do? We should make a NEW file type no system has ever seen before, that way when people try to edit them their OS will go "DUR, DUR, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRR" because FUCK those people."

EDIT: Figured it out, please excuse the rage, BFEL lost many good Kerbals to bullshit aero today
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:06:14 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, that WOULD HAVE been helpful if I knew how the shit to open stupid config files. Because no one in the fucking universe ever thinks "Hey, maybe we should actually use files people can OPEN with common utilities like notepad" they think "Hey, you know what we should do? We should make a NEW file type no system has ever seen before, that way when people try to edit them their OS will go "DUR, DUR, DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRR" because FUCK those people."

It's actually a windows file association problem, not an obscure file format problem. Don't doubleclick the .cfg file. Instead, open notepad. Then open the file from within notepad.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's actually a windows file association problem, not an obscure file format problem. Don't doubleclick the .cfg file. Instead, open notepad. Then open the file from within notepad.
Ah, I actually just temporarily renamed the file to a ".txt" for the editing.  EDIT: and that MIGHT have been a bad plan. Fuck again. EDIT: fixed with super awesome smartness.

But, once again, please excuse my venting.

EDITTHELAST: YAY, first successful orbit/reentry of the campaign! Thank you nogoodnames and LordBucket.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:47:04 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it harder to make SSTOs with the new model?

Air breating engines seem to have been nerfed hard. Previously the Turbojet could go 2200m/s at 60km pretty easily but now it seems to only be able to do 1400m/s at 20km. The Rapier didn't get hit as badly and looks like it can do 1700m/s at 25km.

Throttle now takes into account your intake air so you can no longer flame out from having the throttle fully open.

A big part of the problem seems to be that the space plane parts can't stand up to the heat stress of being a space plane. Another is that whether or not something burns up makes no sense. I keep having a Mk2 Cockpit burn up while accelerating but the Mk2 Drone Core behind it is fine despite the plane moving faster than before and it being a flat surface and having the same Max Temperature.

EDIT: Pre-Cooler intake can survive going 1660m/s under 10km. but Ram intake cannot. Ram intake has its max temperature listed as 100 degrees higher than the Pre-Cooler. Looks like space plane construction has gotten very trial and error.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:33:11 am by Leonon »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

rediscovering all the old tricks to get places, like burning at munrise to intercept the mun when you have no patched conics

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the administration strategies are no longer horribly broken. Now they just aren't worth using at all. Though do note that I'm still early in the campaign, so no idea if this changes yet.

Also, now trying a Mun landing with the crap tiny landing legs. The quicksave is going to be strong with this one....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 06:16:38 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So the administration strategies are no longer horribly broken. Now they just aren't worth using at all. Though do note that I'm still early in the campaign, so no idea if this changes yet.

Also, now trying a Mun landing with the crap tiny landing legs. The quicksave is going to be strong with this one....
I dunno, I am using the one that trades rep gain for science in order to advance a bit quicker. Seems to help some.

I haven't landed on Mun yet but I did do a flyby. Was supposed to be a landing but my delta-v budget was blown by an accident en-route.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Is it harder to make SSTOs with the new model?

Air breating engines seem to have been nerfed hard. Previously the Turbojet could go 2200m/s at 60km pretty easily but now it seems to only be able to do 1400m/s at 20km. The Rapier didn't get hit as badly and looks like it can do 1700m/s at 25km.

Throttle now takes into account your intake air so you can no longer flame out from having the throttle fully open.

A big part of the problem seems to be that the space plane parts can't stand up to the heat stress of being a space plane. Another is that whether or not something burns up makes no sense. I keep having a Mk2 Cockpit burn up while accelerating but the Mk2 Drone Core behind it is fine despite the plane moving faster than before and it being a flat surface and having the same Max Temperature.

EDIT: Pre-Cooler intake can survive going 1660m/s under 10km. but Ram intake cannot. Ram intake has its max temperature listed as 100 degrees higher than the Pre-Cooler. Looks like space plane construction has gotten very trial and error.
I think you also need to take into account how much heat the part itself actually puts out, is your ramjet intake attached to the same engine at the same throttle and altitude as the pre-cooler was?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wild bugfixes appears:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v1-0-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-%28Release-v1-0-0-27-Apr-15%29-Misc-Utilities-%2818-Jan-15%29

well except for the chute drag fix, which is more balance than fix (but still fixes couple of things).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

If anyone (like me) was waiting for KCT and StageRecovery, there are dev builds up for 1.0 now.

http://magico13.net:8080/job/Kerbal%20Construction%20Time%20Development/
http://magico13.net:8080/job/StageRecovery%20Development/

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay for stage recovery!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Going to wait a few weeks for mods and then try to go beyond the Mun for once. I never could get the hang of interplanetary transfers.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 749 750 [751] 752 753 ... 848