Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203404 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #1605 on: February 16, 2010, 04:33:43 am »

1. You just have to manage him carefully. Take off labors that are keeping him away from his duties, and do your trading quickly so he can meet with the liason too. You can have two separate dwarves for this if you want/need to.

2. You can't do that. I wish you could, and I think you should be able to, but you can't. You can view the locations of some creatures in the {u} menu.

3. You can place a depot wherever you want as long as it has proper access to the edge of the map. People advise placing them underground because most people can't defend the surface properly.

4. Dumping them is the only reliable way.

5. You need to forbid all items of that type that are available for use. Except the one you want the dwarf to pick up, of course. So forbiddin all unworn helms except "this bone helm" would be the way to do it.

6. You can't do that. You can do it a little bit in the next version with your military, but not yet. Just pray a little that Toady's work with the new release and bug testing will be relatively easy and quick :)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 16, 2010, 04:45:01 am »

Until we get better support for announcements, the best way to find out where a unit died is to look for its corpse in the stocks screen.  Doesn't work if its rotted already or if you haven't kept up with your bookkeeping. unfortunately.

Also, on depots: the closer the trade depot is to your workshops and stockpiles, the less hauling your dwarves have to do.  Since those things are generally underground, that's also often the best place for a trade depot.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 16, 2010, 04:58:34 am »

Thanks for covering my omissions, Nil!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 16, 2010, 05:30:15 am »

Thanks all so much!

Would it be possible to emulate burrows behavior by locking doors and restraining dwarves to some areas? Or it would screw their behavior or lag by erroneous pathfinding to 'frustrate' them in such way? :)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: February 16, 2010, 05:42:25 am »

How can I see the date in dwarf mode?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 16, 2010, 06:08:54 am »

1. Is this a problem of using my leader (which is the broker) when the liaison is around? In other words, should I have a broker for trade, and another guy discussing with the liaison? For example the caravan arrived then went, the liaison was around my broker, but I never got the exchange of messages (what do you want, etc.), is it because my broker has been busy?

2. When you get a message (that you can see with 'a') how can I focus on it? Example, I have a dwarf killed... I want to know where.

3. Why I would not want to have a depot outdoor? Because of attacks? Why do people always want to have the depot indoor?

4. How can I remove the stones of a specific area? Do I need to Dump them as opposed to stockpiling them? Because if I do a stockpile area, you an bet that the dwarves will haul all the stones but the one I want to be moved!

5. How can I tell a dwarf to wear a given armor piece and not another, i.e 'wear this bone helm, not this turtle helm'?

6. How can I give a particular object to a dwarf, i.e 'from now one this crossbow is you, and you have a weapon rack in your bedroom to store it'.

1: Yes. Meeting with the liason is a job, and has VERY low priority. Disable all labors on your leader until the liason leaves.

2: For most you can't. If one of your dwarves dies, though, go to the stocks screen (assuming you have accurate counts of everything) and near the end of the list is corpses. Hit tab to see individual items.

3: Because of attacks.

4: Dump them. If you want a specific type of stones, make a custom stockpile and only allow the stones you want in it. If you just want stones moved out of a given area, it's easiest to dump them. Or set up a mason's workshop in the center of the area and have it churn out blocks or something on repeat. A craftsdwarf's workshop can also be used.

5: Forbid or otherwise restrict access to everything you don't want him to wear.

6: Again, it takes some finagling. You have to forbid or otherwise restrict access to anything you don't want him to use. Once a dwarf picks up a weapon though, they generally won't drop it unless it's wreslted from thier hands, they're injured, you release them from duty, or you tell them to use a different weapon.

How can I see the date in dwarf mode?
Press z. It should be at the upper right corner.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:12:16 am by Particleman »

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: February 16, 2010, 06:39:42 am »

Thanks Particleman!

Just to know I'm not missing something, there is zero sounds effects in the game, right? Not a single pick sound, the slash of an axe, the thud of a bolt, right?

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #1612 on: February 16, 2010, 06:50:13 am »

Thanks guys, as usual, you are great with new players!

Another batch if you will? I feel like a sponge, craving for so many information!
My take is:
1. I usually have 1 x dwarf who at the start is my only noble. When traders turn up, I turn off ALL his labours. Don't set too much stuff to be traded, until he has had his meeting. Make sure you press the button to let him know you need him in the trade depot early enough.

2. As explained. The only way to see a corpse involves having your bookeeping up to date, then go looking for corpses.

3. Hauling distance is way more important than anything else. But good stockpile management can fix this (eg: only have 1 x stockpile for each output, only trade full bins, don't request too many full bins at once, request bins even if you aren't trading them to this merchant.... you want them there for next time!

4. If it's a 3x3, build "any" workshop - the dwarf building it will push the stones out of the way. If it's 5x5 build a kenel and an animal trainer will do the same. If it's on dirt, build a farm plot as big as you want. If you want to you can set up a whole row of workshops - JUST TO PULL THEM DOWN AGAIN WHEN THE ROCK IS MOVED.

Of course you could always designate the stone as hidden instead! Dwarves like stones.

5. Set them to "clothes" then mark for dumping all their items. When they are buck and unarmed, forbid everything except what you want them to wear/wield. Turn on clothes, then leather armour, then chain mail, then plate... let them put each layer on before turning the next one on. Of course, you aren't really intended to micromanage to that level. Note that once your fort is >5 years old most of your inahabitants will be wearing worn out clothes and you can't change this right now.

6. LOL. Playsome other game? Dwarves claim their own stuff. the only difference to this is nobles demanding "good enough " rooms, which you designate from their bed / chair / ... and then put "accessories" (coffers etc) in the room with them.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: February 16, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »

is there currently any means to display non-furniture artifacts so that the dwarven community can admire the fruits of a legendary leatherworker's labor, or any other item crafter?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Atlar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where are the nobles? o.0
« Reply #1614 on: February 16, 2010, 12:38:49 pm »

I hear people telling about all kinds of nobles, guildmasters, hammerers,dungeonmaster etcetc. but where are they?? My fortress has over 100 people now but I haven't got a single noble besides the ones I have assigned by myself...

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: February 16, 2010, 01:17:00 pm »

Does quality and material matter for shields? Or is the block chance always 20% + shield user skill?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: February 16, 2010, 02:20:44 pm »

Next newbie in line!

Oh, it's me :)

My question: why all my novices wrestlers reverted spontaneously to civilians?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: February 16, 2010, 02:31:19 pm »

is there currently any means to display non-furniture artifacts so that the dwarven community can admire the fruits of a legendary leatherworker's labor, or any other item crafter?
No
I hear people telling about all kinds of nobles, guildmasters, hammerers,dungeonmaster etcetc. but where are they?? My fortress has over 100 people now but I haven't got a single noble besides the ones I have assigned by myself...
Read the wiki, it tells you the requirements for each noble's arrival.
Does quality and material matter for shields? Or is the block chance always 20% + shield user skill?
The shield matters, an adamantine shield is obviously much stronger than a copper shield
Next newbie in line!

I'm not sure why that is happening, though it isn't natural.
Maybe a bug?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: February 16, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »

Next newbie in line!

You probably switched them all out of your military somehow. Try reactivating them.

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: February 16, 2010, 02:57:40 pm »

I want to change wolves to be trainable...
But in the init folder, none of the files in there have the options to change animals and such.

Which folder/file do I need to change those?
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 181