Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203758 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2009, 07:39:25 am »

Thanks, I've got a few more question tough.

1: do you know a way to prevent a huge magma flood from turning the first tiles of my river into obsidian? If not, will carving fortification into the Obsidian let the water flow again?

2: Also, is there a efficient (Aka, other than built floor on the whole map) to clean mud? A terrific obsidian landscape with a sea of magma is not as cool if a lush vegetation grow out of the mud.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2009, 01:45:26 pm »

1) Build a floor over it, really.

2) Magma flood?

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:32 pm »

If I build a bridge over a river will wild animals use it to cross the river rather than repeatedly fling themselves into the carp infested water?  :-\

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2009, 03:30:03 pm »

1. Floors can't be built to the very edge... just use a bridge. It doesn't need to be bauxite, it think any fireproof material will do. Or use raised bridges as alternative to walls to wall the edge off (doesn't make a difference, I just find it more beatiful)

2. More magma :)
Honestly, there is no proper solution. I believe, outside mud will dissappear after a season, though that's not verified. Dwarves with the cleaning labor can remove mud, but I don't know if that works outside and they only do it when there's absolutely nothing else to do anyway.
Stuff grows, just live with it and burn and hack it down from time to time if it bothers you that much.

@Something creative:
Short: No. Wild animals don't actively path, they just wander around randomly. If a predator sees a dwarf on the other side of the river, it will try to use the bridge. A hoary marmot just randomly wandering around could still come too close to the water and be dragged in.

I never saw monsters (carp) attack other monsters (other wildlife)... are you sure, carp ate them?
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2009, 04:58:14 pm »

Thanks for the speedy answer.

I've never actually seen the carp attack them, but I keep finding dead foxes on the edge of the river and in the river itself. Lots of blood too.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2009, 07:08:54 pm »

1. Floors can't be built to the very edge... just use a bridge. It doesn't need to be bauxite, it think any fireproof material will do. Or use raised bridges as alternative to walls to wall the edge off (doesn't make a difference, I just find it more beatiful)
Are you sure about that? I seem to remember myself building floors over a river in the past, all the way to the edge, specifically to prevent my whole-map-edge-covering magma moat from blocking its flow, and I didn't use bridges for that purpose. If my memory is serving me correctly, that would imply that you're incorrect.

Now, walls cannot be built within 5 tiles of the edge, nor can any other building or construction that blocks pathing. Drawbridges are something of an exception, since they don't block pathing when they're built but do when raised, so they get a pass under the "no path-blocking building" rule.

I'ma go check to see if I can build floors next to an edge. Just checked (it didn't take long). You can indeed build constructed floors directly next to the edge of the map, in those tiles that you can't even designate digging and such in.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:13:24 pm by NecroRebel »
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:19 pm »

Regarding the weather and temperature settings in the init file: which of those enables water evaporation?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2009, 12:33:34 am »

I can build floor? Thanks!

And else, I guess that more magma is the obvious, all-purpose solution. Excuse me for asking :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2009, 01:16:32 pm »

Regarding the weather and temperature settings in the init file: which of those enables water evaporation?

Which evaporation are we talking about? The evaporation of surface water due to heat, or the typical evaporation that occurs to 1/7 water?

If the former, I have no idea. It might be weather. Try a year with temp off, weather on, see if murky pools disappear. If not, try temp on weather off.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2009, 11:35:10 pm »

Two questions, both of them involving stairs.
1: Is there a way to remove stairs going down? I get tired of building stairs to dig a channel and then being unable to get rid of the access stairs after.

2: Somewhat related to the first question, is there a way to remove all stairs and exits from z-1 and have all dwarves finish safely standing on z=0? That way there won't be a flashing set of stairs in my magma channel?
-st

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2009, 01:22:59 am »

You can (d)ig them into c(h)annels if they're natural.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2009, 10:20:01 am »

2: Somewhat related to the first question, is there a way to remove all stairs and exits from z-1 and have all dwarves finish safely standing on z=0? That way there won't be a flashing set of stairs in my magma channel?

Normally no, but there is a way if you using magma. Get rid of as many stairs/ramps as possible and fill it with magma like normal. Then use water to turn the remaining ones into obsidian. You can leave them as walls or channel them out from above. 

Insignificant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2009, 12:42:05 pm »

Ok just got it today (literally an hour and a half ago) tried reading the wiki but can't solve such, questions I'm sure are extremly simple and on there.
1) How do I start a farm (designated one outside)?
2) Why won't anyone gather the shrubs I designated so I can start a still?
Wait I think it won't build because I need a block for the still?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 12:44:50 pm by Insignificant »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2009, 01:02:29 pm »

Ok just got it today (literally an hour and a half ago) tried reading the wiki but can't solve such, questions I'm sure are extremly simple and on there.
1) How do I start a farm (designated one outside)?

First, you have to have outdoor plants to start a farm outside. All the seeds you can bring when you first start a fort are underground plants, so they can only be planted underground. So, first, you must dig out a chamber in soil, then (b)uild a farm (p)lot in it. Then, you must have a dwarf with the farming labor active to build it (to activate it or check if it is active on someone, hit v, then scroll over the desired planter, hit p, then l, then use +/-/*// to scroll up and down on that page to the Farming labor, then hit enter to activate it if it is dark grey; white is active). Then, you must select the crop that will be planted during each season, using abcd to switch seasons; I suggest Plump Helmets year-round to start with. Once this is done, your farmer will plant seeds automatically, they will eventually mature to plants, and they will be harvested automatically. Make sure you have a food stockpile for the crops to be moved to!

2) Why won't anyone gather the shrubs I designated so I can start a still?
Wait I think it won't build because I need a block for the still?

You don't need a block for a still; a wood log or stone will work just as well. To build a still, you use the (b)uild menu, the (w)orkshop submenu, and then the sti(l)l option. You also need someone with the Brewing labor active in order for the construction to actually be carried out.

To gather shrubs, you need someone with the Plant Gathering labor enabled.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Insignificant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2009, 01:07:20 pm »

Ah found the designating profession part.  Didn't have time to edit in post.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 181