Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 181

Author Topic: The 40d Little Questions Thread  (Read 203405 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Questions Thread
« Reply #930 on: January 24, 2010, 05:18:29 pm »

What's the difference between war dogs and hunting dogs? Are hunting dogs faster while war dogs are stronger?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 24, 2010, 05:26:28 pm »

What's the difference between war dogs and hunting dogs? Are hunting dogs faster while war dogs are stronger?
War dogs deal double an untrained or hunting dog's damage. Hunting dogs, if assigned to a hunter, will sneak alongside the hunter, letting the hunter hunt effectively while also giving them the added defense and offense of having a dog along (untrained/war dogs will make prey run away, as will other unstealthed animals).

In my experience, hunting animals seem to spot stealthed enemies from 2 squares away more reliably than other animals. Any animal can spot stealthed enemies from a distance, but hunting animals seem to do it more often. Toady is quoted in the wiki's article on Dogs in the Hunting Dogs section. He claims that hunting animals "notice creatures from farther away" which would appear to back up my experience.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 24, 2010, 07:20:51 pm »

Thanks. :)

Also, I have a dead champion, who I want to bury in an aluminum sarcophagus.
I also have a dead hunter and fisherdwarf, who will be buried in iron sarcophagi.
How do I keep the champion from being buried in an iron coffin and the other 2 from being buried in the aluminum coffin?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 24, 2010, 07:24:15 pm »

Also, I have a dead champion, who I want to bury in an aluminum sarcophagus.
I also have a dead hunter and fisherdwarf, who will be buried in iron sarcophagi.
How do I keep the champion from being buried in an iron coffin and the other 2 from being buried in the aluminum coffin?

The only way to control what dwarf is buried in what coffin after they're dead is to have the coffin you want them buried in marked as the only available one, either by making the other free coffins unusable in the 'q' screen or by waiting until all the bodies are buried in whatever coffins, then deconstructing the coffins of the dwarf you want moved and then building the one you want them moved to.

Generally it's easier to mark each special coffin as a tomb, but many players (myself included) forget to do this until afterwards. Kind of a pain to micromanage burial procedures, but eh. DF's like that.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 24, 2010, 07:24:52 pm »

far as I can tell, it's "claims coffins in the order they died. So it's all int he order they died, and the order you build the coffins.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 25, 2010, 02:15:20 am »

Ok let's say I build a fortress and place a statue blocking a secret entrance/exit, will I be able to walk through that statue in adventure mode or will it be a solid object?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 25, 2010, 02:48:51 pm »

It will be a solid object.

ballisticvole

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 25, 2010, 09:23:10 pm »

I had a cave-in and my miner was knocked out but survived, but I found a stack of dwarf bones at the cave in site even though nobody died, where did they come from?

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 25, 2010, 09:40:45 pm »

Milking questions:

Has milking been fixed yet? Last I red you could only milk purring maggots.

What animals can you milk if any besides purring maggots?

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 25, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »

purring maggots and purring maggots, also on the rare occassion purring maggots.
Oh i almost forgot, purring maggots.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

gopher dude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 25, 2010, 10:39:20 pm »

purring maggots and purring maggots, also on the rare occassion purring maggots.
Oh i almost forgot, purring maggots.
HMPHF! and again; HMPHFHFHMMHPHF!!! >=C

How do I catch these..... "purring maggots"?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 25, 2010, 11:17:33 pm »

How do I catch these..... "purring maggots"?

Never bothered with it, but I think you do this by setting up animal traps near a chasm or bottomless pit.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 25, 2010, 11:23:29 pm »

Be warned: Purring maggots are a delicacy. If your dwarves catch them, make sure not to let any dwarves run by and eat them up.

EDIT: My dwarves keep stopping work because they're interrupted by goblin X, but the only goblins around are behind three walls and totally unseeable. How are they getting scared?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 11:45:43 pm by Cheddarius »

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:41 am »

perhaps they can hear their vicious howls and black-tongued curses echoing through the walls and echoing through the fortress?

is there any way to force sand onto your map? short of futzing with the eldritch files of my region?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 26, 2010, 02:48:30 am »

no.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 181