Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1586016 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Your pets are adorabledible!
« Reply #6150 on: December 31, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »

Somehow, evolution has managed to hardcode it into adult's heads that they should care for their young.  In most species.  Not all.  And not every family. 
But there is some weird ju-ju-mugumbo going on with that, you have to admit.  It isn't necessarily... y'know, the Greeks had a good explanation for this, let's see if I can remember it.

Agape: Unconditional love, which is really just used to describe God's love or the love between two lovers who really, really like each other.

Eros: Lustful love, typically.  Where we get "erotic" from.  It's not always used to describe lustful relationship, but most commonly is.

Philia: Friendly love.  As in friendship.  As in: not sexual in nature, but not strictly well, natural.  Loyalty, really.  (Oddly enough, this rung of love was missing until Aristotle thought it up.)

Storge: Natural love.  Hardcoded, that is.  What parents instinctively feel for their young.  Also means acceptance.  But it's more of a general affection than love that we think of.

Well... yeah.  There we go.  Looked it up, to make sure I wasn't misremembering.

While most parents feel Storge, good parents and good children have Philia or even Agape as well.  (The absolute worst ones have Eros, before anyone else makes that joke.)

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: January 01, 2013, 12:31:44 am »

Parents shouldn't need to feel storge for their child to realize that they brought a person into the world without their permission and in a state of complete helplessness.  This is why it's the ultimate responsibility, not instinct.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: January 01, 2013, 12:36:10 am »

Agape love isn't just unconditional, it's universal. Agape love applies to all humanity.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: January 01, 2013, 12:42:16 am »

Agape love isn't just unconditional, it's universal. Agape love applies to all humanity.
Right.  I think.  I mean, I never said it wasn't universal, but... yeah.  I guess I never said it was either.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: January 02, 2013, 05:00:17 am »

The fuck is happening in this thread?! Get the fuck back on those sexy rails, people.

I'd hit it.
With an axe.

I may be late, but that quote made me burst out laughing. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: January 03, 2013, 05:49:35 pm »

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Ok, so I was a drunk depressed mess for just a week or so, (winter holidays have always had that effect on me) and couldn't actually find enough strength to check the forums and cats are posted! Threads are derailed!
But worst of all, I miss a great hat.

Dr Poo, I demand more pictures of you and that awesome hat. I'll even trade!
Here's one of my many military-themed hats!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Erm... that's not me in the picture. It's my friend, Lt. Lamp.
He's a good friend and a great listener. I don't know what I would have done without him in these troubling times.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #6156 on: January 03, 2013, 07:18:25 pm »

To bring it near but not quite on the rails, since it's not exactly a photo. But my face is in it! I recently hung a green fitted bedsheet off a wall and pointed 3 cheap desklamps at it. The result was surprisingly acceptable...a few issues, but I still haven't nailed down the right lighting yet...maybe need a stronger green too xD
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:21:45 pm by MorleyDev »

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #6157 on: January 04, 2013, 03:05:00 am »

That reminded me of the sign language people they bring on at like 3 in the morning, clearly catering for all of the insomniac deaf people in the country.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: January 04, 2013, 06:47:05 am »

[offtopic] Hey, DW, may the gods bless you for your work on the Cataclysm continuation project.[/offtopic]

Back on topic.
Morley, for a first, low budget attempt, the result is really good. I like to see such creativity.

Now, fate has it that I've been working with Orad and Ultimatte virtual sets for about six years now.
Obviously, such technical solutions have price tags that are way off-limits for mere mortals like us...however, I can give you some hints and tips about compositing.

-A green screen requires less lighting and less perfection within those lighting conditions. Green is brighter than blue, and since you are working with a luminance key here, it will require less light. However, since it's that bright it will inevitably "spill" creating those uneven edges around you.

-A blue screen needs better lighting, but when properly done, it will get you better results, such as more defined less "clippy" edges on your actor. Because blue is the opposite to most skin tones. The blue spill is a lot more faded than the green one.
And most cameras are somewhat more sensitive to the blue colour of the spectrum (or used to be? I don't know  if this still applies to the latest models).

-Yes, the number one issue is lighting. It has to be quite equally spread, however you should focus to obtain such homogeneous lighting on the green backing primarily. Your background needs to be as perfect as you can get it. So think about washing, starching and ironing your sheet cloth before you start.

-After that, you place yourself (or a placeholder) in front of the green screen and add more light in order to eliminate shadows as much as possible, however, you need to do so while affecting the previous light settings as little as possible.
Essentially, yes, you are working with 2 separate light sets, one for the screen and one for the actor.

-The recommended position for a green screen would be 1.5-2 meters (that's 5 to 6 ft to you imperials) from the screen. However, makeshift lighting may not allow that, setting your actor in shadow. But remember, the closer you are to the screen, the more spilling you get.

-You need to position your lighting in various spots, to cover all possible angles. However, you should take special care with face-level lighting. It should come from about the same height as your actor's height, and subsequently be at the same level as your camera.
Too little face lighting and you lose details and turn your actor in a gipsy. Too much and his face will burn as the sun.

-Whatever you do, do NOT light the actor significantly more than the screen!

-And here comes the main problem. Floodlights rather than spotlights. Ideally, you will need a mixture of these two, but that is advanced stuff. 
You could also use a diffusion filter for each individual light, that will help enormously by casting less shadow and making the light more uniform.
Tracing paper works best as a makeshift diffusion filter. White shower curtains, rice paper and similar things work as well. But such things will catch on fire when placed too close to powerful hot lights.

-I'm trying to estimate this by ear... I only know pro lighting sets. But. I think you should get something like two 500W quartz lights. Diffuse them if you can. (Safely, please). Place them at both sides of your wall, angled at 45 degrees to the wall. You should put them at about 1-1.5 meters away from the screen. Here experimentation works best.
You primarily need to preserve the saturation of the colour, and make sure it's not too dark or too washed-out.

-Ok, now for the actor lights. Again, 500W quartz lights, but this time you do not want them pointed at your actor. Face lighting should be "bounced" rather than projected. You could use a couple of those photoshoot umbrellas if you can get them cheap... but I strongly recommend 2 large white styrofoam sheets that are normally used for insulation.  Which, *cough cough* coincidentally, it's also extremely flammable. *Cough*

-Horrendous green muslin works rather well for chroma key purposes and you should be able to find some cheap. It does not wrinkle easily, it is not that reflective and can be ironed.

There you go.
I hope I managed to properly punch through the language barrier with all these technical terms. And if you have any questions, just shoot, I'm more than happy to help.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #6159 on: January 06, 2013, 01:24:35 pm »

Yeah, the Green Screen was mostly I saw a cheap green sheet and wondered if I could do it, the Lighting stuff I bought just to light myself up better for Vlogs and what-not (hence the budget). Wanna try to do proper edited videos for reviews and the like. I was fiddling in Kdenlive and was able to chromakey away the white background with only a bit of my neck vanishing. Made me curious if I could green screen with that set-up, saw bed sheet and decided to give it a try ^.^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:28:15 pm by MorleyDev »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:58 pm »

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Ok, so I was a drunk depressed mess for just a week or so, (winter holidays have always had that effect on me) and couldn't actually find enough strength to check the forums and cats are posted! Threads are derailed!
But worst of all, I miss a great hat.

Dr Poo, I demand more pictures of you and that awesome hat. I'll even trade!
Here's one of my many military-themed hats!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Erm... that's not me in the picture. It's my friend, Lt. Lamp.
He's a good friend and a great listener. I don't know what I would have done without him in these troubling times.

You will have some soon :D

Maybe.. if i am alive.. this assignment is killing me
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: January 06, 2013, 07:47:27 pm »

You seem to be taking this assignment too seriously.
That being said, I know nothing about the importance of this assignment, or anything of the people who assigned it.
What's the problem? Maybe I can help?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: January 06, 2013, 07:57:31 pm »

You seem to be taking this assignment too seriously.
That being said, I know nothing about the importance of this assignment, or anything of the people who assigned it.
What's the problem? Maybe I can help?

Its score will basically determine wether i will be qualified for enrolling on a certain school. I have to write about a space station and present a practical example, wich me and my teacher has agreed should be docking a module to a station in Kerbal Space Program. I tried fixing it but then technical issues with my craft fucked shit up. I have now ragetquit and i dont know what to do. :U

I have a massive headache and its due 8th and its in the middle of the ngith and i obnly made liek 25% percent of the writing part

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: January 07, 2013, 03:19:44 am »

Well, if everything goes to hell, describing what went wrong where and why and how to prevent it in the future might be the next best thing.
Don't know how that goes for schools, though, but in the workplace, that's the guy I would hire.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: January 07, 2013, 04:25:58 am »

Well, if everything goes to hell, describing what went wrong where and why and how to prevent it in the future might be the next best thing.
Don't know how that goes for schools, though, but in the workplace, that's the guy I would hire.

I always describe what went wrong, mentally.
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 987