Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3740758 times)

PeterisP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #7635 on: September 30, 2013, 08:16:40 am »

There have been a lot of changes during the past year or so - are you planning to continue with more features, or to wrap up some of them for a new release of DF?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: September 30, 2013, 08:28:17 am »

I love that sadistic empathic dwarf girl. New personalities are absolutely brilliant.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: September 30, 2013, 08:29:29 am »

There have been a lot of changes during the past year or so - are you planning to continue with more features, or to wrap up some of them for a new release of DF?

We are on the downward-sloping cart ride towards a release.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: September 30, 2013, 08:43:17 am »

[snip]

Also, sadistic with a good sense of empathy? Those traits kind of conflict there.

Did some quick googling to find a good short explanation of the difference between empathy and sympathy, and came upon this quote...

"[M]aximum cruelty makes use of empathy without sympathy. To hurt someone, you must know what that person's sensitivities and vulnerabilities are, without having compassion or pity for the person's suffering. This is perhaps most obvious in the emotional abuse of intimates or family members. Intimates can say the most hurtful things because they know the other person's areas of vulnerability. The empathic bond is to the other person becomes an instrument to facilitate cruelty."

Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty, p. 245 by Roy F. Baumeister, Ph.D.

This dwarf sounds like a prime candidate :D

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: September 30, 2013, 08:48:30 am »

Thanks Toady! Those new values and personality additions look quite interesting. At first glance, though, I kind of miss a Knowledge and/or Wisdom value (Cunning and Skill may be sort of related, but likely not quite) and maybe an Age value, but we can't get everything in one go, obviously.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: September 30, 2013, 08:49:10 am »

[snip]

Also, sadistic with a good sense of empathy? Those traits kind of conflict there.

Did some quick googling to find a good short explanation of the difference between empathy and sympathy, and came upon this quote...

"[M]aximum cruelty makes use of empathy without sympathy. To hurt someone, you must know what that person's sensitivities and vulnerabilities are, without having compassion or pity for the person's suffering. This is perhaps most obvious in the emotional abuse of intimates or family members. Intimates can say the most hurtful things because they know the other person's areas of vulnerability. The empathic bond is to the other person becomes an instrument to facilitate cruelty."

Yes, exactly. This dwarf sounds like a prime candidate for diplomatic relations with elves.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: September 30, 2013, 09:50:54 am »

[snip]

Yes, exactly. This dwarf sounds like a prime candidate for diplomatic relations with elves.

I guess that dwarf is sort of Bay12's spirit dwarf or the High Priest of Armok.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: September 30, 2013, 10:16:37 am »

Awesome stuff.

Just want to point out that 'overflated' should either be 'inflated' or 'overinflated' - overflated isn't actually a word.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: September 30, 2013, 10:19:32 am »

Bay12, lets try to figure this out: What historical person is that emperor dwarf? I'd say Frederick the Great...

Could work, though Frederick the Great was a bit of a naturalist and he did serve in the army. I don't see that dwarf as ever having been or being a soldier, at least a melee dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: September 30, 2013, 10:24:37 am »

overflated isn't actually a word.

Well it is a word, just not one in the dictionary.

Times like this makes me think Franklin and Oxford are evil emperors of the English language.

Though another way to say it that it is word. It is Inflated with over being used as a prefix.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: September 30, 2013, 10:28:58 am »

Oxford's goal was never too control the English language, only to document it.
People are constantly adding new words into dictionaries that come into common usage.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: September 30, 2013, 10:49:24 am »

Dreams to see the natural wonders of the world?

Sounds Elfy, but bear in mind that Dwarfs have an appreciation for nature, too. They probably wonder at natural geological marvels such as Mountains, the Caverns, and the Magma sea.

I can just imagine the whole Gimli vs. Legolas thing. "I'll come look at your pretty forest, if you'll come see these awesome crystal formations in this cave."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: September 30, 2013, 11:04:58 am »

Lots of cool info in there.  Thanks!

In adventure mode, I'm still not sure overall how I want to handle it.  The game occasionally tells you when your character won't do things, but that's odd.  You could do anything you want without personal penalty, do it but get some sort of broad depressiony minuses if it clashes with how you wanted your character to be (or some other penalty), or just not be allowed to do it.  I'd lean toward the first two.  The trick is to find the proper penalty.  We'd like to unfetter your options but find some proper cost if the game knows how you want to play (the flipside would be "rewards" for playing according to ethics/role/etc.), without it being too game-y.

This is different from someone else in your civ seeing or hearing about you doing it, which would always be looked on through their own ethics and not yours.

It would be interesting for your companions to gain insight into your ethics over time, and remark on you not acting like yourself.  Maybe your answer to them could result in a permanent personality change.  Arguably game-y, but also a way to intertwine plot and character arcs, as in the Hero's Journey.  It's probably even more important for your companions and other NPCs to be similarly transformed by their experiences, for better or worse.  The storytelling will go to a whole new level when contextual motivations like revenge come into play.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:09:34 am by Footkerchief »

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: September 30, 2013, 11:23:01 am »

I'm excited :D

Sounds Elfy, but bear in mind that Dwarfs have an appreciation for nature, too. They probably wonder at natural geological marvels such as Mountains, the Caverns, and the Magma sea.

I can just imagine the whole Gimli vs. Legolas thing. "I'll come look at your pretty forest, if you'll come see these awesome crystal formations in this cave."

Just accept it dude, only hippy dwarves have an appreciation for nature, others would rather flood the caverns with magma than marvel at it, especially with all the hideous creatures that crawl out of them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: September 30, 2013, 11:28:44 am »

Like I said, not all natural wonders of the world are neccesarily about plants, there are natural geological wonders as well.

I wouldn't mind having such outliers in dwarven society as the ones that Toady listed, variety is a good thing.

Can't wait for the new version so that we don't have to destructively abandon forts that are functional or even self sustaining.
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 748