Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My confession....  (Read 5980 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My confession....
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »

I find ambushes to be far more troublesome than sieges. Siegers announce their presence and appear at the edges of the map, but ambushes don't show themselves until they're in striking distance.
dont ambushes only come late in the season at the same time with caravans? i dont usually have trouble with them since i give my dwarves other jobs that dont involve going outside at that time. In fact i like ambushes better since they dont prevent caravans from showing up unlike a siege.

i have a confession too, since i noticed quite a few players treat their starting 7 like royalty. I treat them no differently than any other dwarves and if a migrant comes that has better skills and the same job early enough then one of the starting 7 may even end up as a peasant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 09:02:34 pm »

I have a confession too, since i noticed quite a few players treat their starting 7 like royalty. I treat them no differently than any other dwarves and if a migrant comes that has better skills and the same job early enough then one of the starting 7 may even end up as a peasant.
The starting 7 have no promises of wealth. No promises of safety. They are pioneers to a hostile world creating an outpost for the glory of Dwarvenkind. The only thing they know is they must strike the Earth and make their fortunes by bolt, plow or hook ere Winter comes and the natives get hungry.

For every outpost that grows to a city, how many are lost? Abandoned? Destroyed?

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, short, sturdy creatures fond of drink and industry. Your journey has ended and your legends shall begin.

This is why we praise them. This is why they are The Seven.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 09:16:34 pm »

^epic.

but to me their just another 7 dwarves that can be replaced by migrants if they die out.

Not easily though ofc, some of them do tend to end up as legends, especially the miners, but i tend to make others start mining as well when i start producing more picks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2013, 10:47:48 pm »

dont ambushes only come late in the season at the same time with caravans? i dont usually have trouble with them since i give my dwarves other jobs that dont involve going outside at that time.
Sieges turn up late in the season as well, iirc. Usually I keep dwarves inside, but if they do happen to be outdoors then siege squads aren't so invisible.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2013, 12:27:00 am »

I have a confession too, since i noticed quite a few players treat their starting 7 like royalty. I treat them no differently than any other dwarves and if a migrant comes that has better skills and the same job early enough then one of the starting 7 may even end up as a peasant.
The starting 7 have no promises of wealth. No promises of safety. They are pioneers to a hostile world creating an outpost for the glory of Dwarvenkind. The only thing they know is they must strike the Earth and make their fortunes by bolt, plow or hook ere Winter comes and the natives get hungry.

For every outpost that grows to a city, how many are lost? Abandoned? Destroyed?

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, short, sturdy creatures fond of drink and industry. Your journey has ended and your legends shall begin.

This is why we praise them. This is why they are The Seven.

I would think the dwarfs more deserving of praise are those first few migrants who trickle in after your fortress becomes such a deadly hellhole that no migrants dare come at all for several years.  Those guys have some promises, they're all bad, and they screw their balls on tight and come anyway.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]