Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1104

Author Topic: What's going on in your adventure?  (Read 2028769 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your adventure?
« Reply #13725 on: February 18, 2017, 10:06:54 pm »

That is glorious. Meanwhile, well...it's sheer tedium actually designating ONE HUNDRED PUNCHES but fuck it, I'm gonna do it. Wish me luck and hope my PC doesn't die weeping tears of blood.

EDIT: Combat messages log now has 17 fucking pages of punching.

EDIT 2: Chased down two fleeing bandits and had the good fortune to get them both next to me. Multiattack spam go!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neither of them had a good time.
Huh, never had the designated attacks list roll off the bottom before, well done.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13726 on: February 18, 2017, 10:51:38 pm »

Huh, never had the designated attacks list roll off the bottom before, well done.

I should've screencapped the attack list when I had what led to this set up:

On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13727 on: February 18, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »

So went over the event timeline.

Num had just reached the outskirts of hillock Rainylabor when it was discovered he'd become sheriff. I figured I'll read his thoughts, so I duped the save and retired him. When I unretired him, he ended up at the mound where Thob's corpse lay. I realized she must have been killed just as Num was slow traveling out. The reason is when Num had returned to Rainylabor, he had checked every mound with a cabinet for hoods as he was without. So he converted some wool bags into hoods, reorganized his inventory and decided to head to fortress Machinewall. He had been in the mound where the crime had occurred.

Since Num's sheriff, might as well investigate this incident. Num heads to the mound and surveys the area.

There's confirmation that Thob had been slain not all that long ago. And it's revealed various dwarves have attacked Rigoth.

Num enters into conversation with Rigoth and listens to the conversations around him.
Not only does Rigoth have high anger propensity as she becomes easily enraged, but she's also given to alternative facts. Not quite worth experiencing horror just to goad her into combat.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13728 on: February 19, 2017, 01:22:38 am »

I've been swimming for three hours real time... How the hell am I supposed to reach land like this? I've had to fight off a shark, butcher it while drowning, avoid angering the giant sperm whale that swam by, and swim waaaay too much... I'm a great swimmer, when I hadn't swam at all before hopping into the ocean. I learned I had started on a dwarf-only island, and wanted to reach the mainland... According to the quest map, I still have a loooooooong ways to go.

A town just popped up on my site thingy! SSE! Going that way now, so I can finally make land fall when I get there...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:59:26 am by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13729 on: February 19, 2017, 04:17:14 am »

Well... After hours and hours of swimming, I finally "reached" land... I was a few squares away from the shore, when suddenly the ocean freezes...!
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13730 on: February 19, 2017, 10:54:40 am »

Ha ha, no one expects the sudden phase transition!

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13731 on: February 19, 2017, 12:36:09 pm »

Num waits out Rigoth's bout of rageahol. She goes back to conversing with the others as if nothing had happened and they stop bringing up her crime, normalizing her actions.
As there's word that an insurrection is afoot here in Rainylabor, Num does the sheriffy thing and scouts the local area and stops into each mound, but when all that materializes is a horse recruit, Num travels west back into The Forest of Bowels and toward The Field of Insight, where there have been sightings of a murderous giant wolf as well as mentions of another sasquatch.

That brings him to his encounter with the sasquatch Sparkvandals. So far, skill/event milestones as seen in the express emotions menu, are pretty organic as everything is happening at the right time.
Getting to location is where tracking and ambusher rollover into legendary.

The conflict, aside from a grounding spear stab to the foot, is an accumulation of sharp teeth to bring bite, that greatest of attack skills, to novice.
Interestingly enough, Num experiences grim satisfaction at somebody's death and feelings of triumph while killing somebody. He's only slain two creatures. Both non-sentient, but both were named historical figures.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:37:55 pm by peasant cretin »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13732 on: February 20, 2017, 07:19:22 pm »

So, here's something interesting. It's generally known that jumping bypasses some interactions with the environment. One of those is that you can jump onto a web and then either pick it up or move off it without destroying it.

If you have an empty hand you'll pick it as thread. What's interesting is that if don't have an empty hand and are wearing a container - like a backpack - you'll pick the web up as web. You can then drop - or throw - the web wherever you want.

I've not yet tried throwing it at something I'm fighting.
Edit: Meh, pretty much like throwing anything else:
Code: [Select]
The spinning cave spider silk web strikes the widely-spaced-teeth troglodyte in the left upper arm, bruising the muscle!
The force bends the shoulder, left upper arm!
except then there's a web sitting there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:32:34 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13733 on: February 20, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »

So, here's something interesting. It's generally known that jumping bypasses some interactions with the environment. One of those is that you can jump onto a web and then either pick it up or move off it without destroying it.

If you have an empty hand you'll pick it as thread. What's interesting is that if don't have an empty hand and are wearing a container - like a backpack - you'll pick the web up as web. You can then drop - or throw - the web wherever you want.

I've not yet tried throwing it at something I'm fighting.
Edit: Meh, pretty much like throwing anything else:
Code: [Select]
The spinning cave spider silk web strikes the widely-spaced-teeth troglodyte in the left upper arm, bruising the muscle!
The force bends the shoulder, left upper arm!
except then there's a web sitting there.
touch upon this when playing a spider who could just walk ontop of a web and pick one up freely several months back.
pretty neat way to webslinging sadly you can't keep the webs with you as fast traveling or walking great distances away will break the webbing.
the webs even float in the air if you drop it while airborne, or climbing.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13734 on: February 21, 2017, 09:50:12 am »

Got infected as a wereboar, spent my entire time until the next full moon drinking and partying in the tavern, trading dragon bone rings and mugs as payment. The next full moon? Went on a rampage, slaughtering everyone, but each kid would just get a bite on the foot. Except the king, he also just got a bite. Can't wait to learn about how this city turns out in legends, with around 200 corpses to bury and 30-ish wereboars, including the king.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13735 on: February 21, 2017, 03:40:03 pm »

I'm a vampiric necromancer dueling an expert goblin swordsman. He's gotten one hit on me, a powerful attack to the hip, which knocked me over. It's at a stalemate, we are parrying, dodging, and blocking every attack. And the fat lady is sleeping through it all.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13736 on: February 21, 2017, 04:58:56 pm »

I'm a vampiric necromancer dueling an expert goblin swordsman. He's gotten one hit on me, a powerful attack to the hip, which knocked me over. It's at a stalemate, we are parrying, dodging, and blocking every attack. And the fat lady is sleeping through it all.
Ah, I love those fights. The ones where you're just barely surviving, perfectly matched against the opponent.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13737 on: February 21, 2017, 08:07:46 pm »

Heh.

"I wonder if I could turn the octopus hide trick into a smokebomb thing."
"Well shit, guess I'll go ahead and do a dorfaboo full conversion thing while I'm at it.
"Ha ha, it works, wonder if I could use trailing dust flow instead for the smoke cloud?"

So yeah, ninja rocket boots?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13738 on: February 21, 2017, 08:50:00 pm »

Is that red the stain you dorf left on impact?

//////////////

As Num Muddyboots hasn't populated his map with lairs and isn't using "ask for directions to," he's discovered both sasquatch recruits (RampagedLute and Sparkvandals) by coincidence. Hunting a historical animal only through slow travel is random as you don't have much info to go on. You check a vision field and you find the creature, but that's by chance. You could find tracks and that's also by chance. You could cross into the area of a site and get an announcement and that's again by chance.

So to have less chance, you're forced to pop into fast travel to check for asterisks. If I'm remembering correctly (probably a false memory), presuming the asterisk is a historical animal, then it's a recruit that's out and about. Otherwise it's only a historical animal hanging out in its lair.

There are two giant wolves in sighted The Field of Insight and The Steppe of Spires. When checking fast travel map, the only asterisk Num finds is another named sasquatch who he skips. So now the thinking is neither are recruits and they won't be asterisks on the map, and we're back to either: slow travel randomness; play around with fast travel to trigger the zoom-in; or get lazy and directional and ask an NPC to populate the quest map with their lair(s).

Slow travel randomness is a waste of time here. Though it limits what will be exposed, lazy and directional means there's no discovery work. Moving around in fast travel to trigger the zoom-in has the side effect of finding not the site you're looking for, but possibly others. So Num enters fast travel to break those eggs.
He find the lairs of the sasquatches he's slain, and manages to trigger grizzly bear and wolf pack encounters.

When Num returns to Rainylabor, he finds his group has waited out the insurrection. But better than that is the horse recruit who's now living amongst dwaves.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13739 on: February 21, 2017, 10:06:12 pm »

I once found a priest who was talking to a stray cat...

It was really weird, because occasionally he would say things like "It was inevitable" or "I agree". No idea what's going on there.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee
Pages: 1 ... 914 915 [916] 917 918 ... 1104