Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cracked Mirror  (Read 267 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Cracked Mirror
« on: May 01, 2024, 11:12:18 pm »

Well, it could have been worse?

You probably shouldn't have been out there alone at night. You'd heard the rumors, the stories, but would it really happen to you? You know how to take care of yourself. It should have been fine.
It didn't even make sense really, you'd been paying attention to your surroundings, there should have been no way for them to sneak up on you.
But no, somehow, despite all your precautions, the first notice you had of their presence was their arms reaching over your shoulders as something stabbed into your lower back. Your strength quickly, unnaturally, faded away even as adrenaline rushed through your veins, and despite your attempts to break free, to fight back, the world soon blurred and faded away.
It was hard to remember what even happened after that. All you have are momentary fragments, flashes of memory, brief moments while your blood was being drawn, or a delerious sense of being contained, restricted. Something being forced in you, something being taken away.
Your life from before, your self from before, it was... difficult... to even associate yourself with that anymore. It had been so long... or had it? It was so hard to tell. You hadn't lost everything, but... there were gaps... pieces that were lost, fragments had gone missing. Something... something precious... was missing. If only you could remember what it was.
Still, you were alive. Which, on the whole, was... rather suprising. At least you had that. Even if...
The last thing you remembered before waking here was being bound to the cold floor, as if you had the strength to try to move anymore, of people moving and muttering around you, of brief moments of pain around your ankles and wrists, and of the dark, poorly lit ceiling above faintly reflecting flickering orange flame before changing to being lit in a mixture of greens and purples and blues and reds and blacks? how-?, the voices around you grow louder, responding to the changes, some speaking to each other, others chanting in unison, others barking commands, then suddenly it all went dark, the voices disappeared completely, and the bindings upon you fell away, leaving your weakened body feeling empty and free, like you're falling

And now you were here. Wherever here was. You briefly looked at your surroundings, finding youself in... a bed? a rather firm bed, with a pair of thin brown sheets, one over you, one under you. beside the bed was a tiny wooden table. and on the table was a tiny nub of a lit candle, resting in an open brass candlestand and coated in a massive layer of molten wax, which had formed a mountain and dribbled all the way down to the floor. the walls were made of large stone blocks, and so was the floor, the square room as a whole quite tiny and barren, barely over 8ft, probably about 2.5m, to a side. there was a single door, made of wood, with a simple brass handle on this side underneath a brass keyhole, and hanging from a coathook on the center of the door was a single key.

Where are you? Why doesn't your body hurt anymore? What exactly happened to you anyway? Where can you get some food or water?

What are you even going to do now?

Welcome to me attempting to run a game again. After many years of a break I finally have the time and self-confidence to make another attempt.

Gameplay is inspired by my favorite games I got to play in previously: Einsteinian Roulette, Special People, and Omega Legion. Meaning the general gameplay loop of going on missions, exploring worlds, breaking stuff, stealing stuff, coming home again, and gaining power from mission to mission, with the hope of the game being long-running. I'm not convinced that I'm going to be able to do the concept justice the way those other games did, and I intend on making quite a few personalized changes to the formula, but I don't see anyone else making an attempt and I've missed that type of game quite a lot.

Rolls will be based on 2d6 + modifiers in most cases, so an average roll is a 7 before modifiers, and 2 or 12 will be relatively rare. +/- 1 bonuses or penalties will be impactful but not the end-all-be-all of a simple d6 system.

Turns will run after at least half the players have posted, a minimum of 48 hours have passed since the last turn was posted (if all players have posted then I'll skip this timer, assuming I'm up for it), and I have the time and energy to run them. If an inactive player's character is out of the way, they'll be ignored and skipped, but if they're in the middle of the action, I'll make simple arbitrary actions for them with the general goal of getting them safely out of the way as soon as possible, meaning they'll likely go hide in a corner somewhere, but if they get attacked while their player is idle anyway, then they'll get hurt or killed just like anyone else. Going inactive while a gator is gnawing on your chracter will not protect them, and I'm not going to waste my energy poking players individually every turn. I've seen too many games die from one player lacking the energy to post.

Characters will be accepted on a most-developed-designs-get-priority basis, acccepted characters will have their players have a pm conversation with me to determine the "Unknown" parts of the character sheet and give me a feel for how they're interested in their character developing, changing, and growing as gameplay progresses. Do not feel a need for your character to start out strong or experienced, they'll get there. It's more important for them to be a person. My initial goal is about 4-5 players, but with some stretch room if there's interest and interesting designs.

Character sheet:
Spoiler: Name (click to show/hide)

Discord Server for discussion, character planning, and OOC: https://discord.gg/eEhb3HC9nR
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked Mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 11:12:53 pm »

Reserved for links and compendium
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 11:13:53 pm »

Reserved for character sheets

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 09:39:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2024, 03:11:51 pm »

Well, count me interested. Will be making a character shortly. Who is Cerp in discord, by the way?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:46:35 pm by MCreeper »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2024, 05:27:00 pm »

Cerp is a veteran DM that has run multiple multi-year campaigns of ADnD, DnD 2.0, DnD 3.0, and DnD 3.5, several of which I played in, and who agreed to help co-gm for me, and is especially helping me with worldbuilding.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2024, 06:08:31 pm »

she/her

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2024, 06:50:12 pm »

Sleep-deprivedly done (?).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 06:54:48 pm by MCreeper »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 09:22:19 pm »

I, like, dmed Lenglon a character sheet.  Depending on whatevers, I'll properly submit it here too, or not.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Megam0nkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Today at 05:19:54 am »

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Today at 05:21:31 am by Megam0nkey »