Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 683786 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Seating algorithms]
« Reply #555 on: March 06, 2014, 03:26:31 pm »

is it weird to have a fear response to computer viruses? not like ''oh shit im gonna have to deal with this'' but actual ''oh shit what no'' accompinied by sweating and seekijg comfort

The only dreams I've ever had that I could consider "nightmares" were about computer viruses.

It's weird.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 09, 2014, 05:22:35 pm »

As someone who is going to be the first time in like a couple weeks or so, what should I do to start learning about the Illinois Democrat Primary's governer candidate.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 09, 2014, 05:37:46 pm »

The, uh. The internet is a good place to start? Search for name, background, news. Check what any major affiliated groups (Beyond the democratic party -- is there church affiliation? What school are they alumni of, if any? Work background? What reputations and histories do those groups have?) are. If the critter's had previous political office, you might be able to find voting record or -- if you can't find it straight up online -- you might be able to find out where you can on the ground. Focus on information that will give hints on how the person will act in office -- who they willingly associate with, what they've done in the past. Especially pay attention to how much -- and on what subjects -- that past information conflicts with their official position(s).

If you're going for hyperthorough, actually see about talking to whoever it is. Phone, personal meeting, letter, e-mail, whatever. May or may not get something, but grass-root/word of mouth is sometimes important to people running for office, so you may get a bite. Consider doing the same for any opponents or notable nay-sayers.

Just... look up information. There's bound to be a fair chunk out there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 05:40:58 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 10, 2014, 04:27:10 pm »

So I recently watched Disney's Frozen and it brought to my mind the question, what would falling into deep powder from a very high height actually feel like? I know that snow powder snow isn't as dense as water (a quick wikipedia check reveals it settles till it's about 30% of the density of water) and I was wondering if it would be a sort of soft falling feeling or a more hard one (such as water/concrete would be). I've checked online but the only replies I've found are from people who didn't know what they were talking about, anyone know anything that could shed some light on this?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 10, 2014, 04:55:39 pm »

Well, sponge has a density of around half that of powered snow, and is signifigantly more elastic in its behaviour... based on the behaviour of sponge crash mats and adding a non-Newtonian element (which is nothing more than an assumption about how low density powdered snow may react when impacted) I would imagine that falling into powdered snow at terminal velocity would involve an initial period of low deceleration, but as the powdered snow compressed, the deceleration would exponentially grow until you came to a fairly sudden dead stop with a signifigantly large jolt of force, probably within a few metres, maybe even as short a distance as a metre. Having jumped feet first into powdered snow of a few metres deep from a metre or so on occasion, I have tended to sink to knee/thigh depth, before coming to an abrupt stop, which tentativley supports my hypothesis.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:58:42 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 10, 2014, 04:56:00 pm »

So I recently watched Disney's Frozen and it brought to my mind the question, what would falling into deep powder from a very high height actually feel like? I know that snow powder snow isn't as dense as water (a quick wikipedia check reveals it settles till it's about 30% of the density of water) and I was wondering if it would be a sort of soft falling feeling or a more hard one (such as water/concrete would be). I've checked online but the only replies I've found are from people who didn't know what they were talking about, anyone know anything that could shed some light on this?
Sand is a powder. Have you ever jumped into a sandbox?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 10, 2014, 04:57:33 pm »

I'd imagine that sand is considerably more dense than snow, but I have never been snowed on, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 10, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »

I'd imagine that sand is considerably more dense than snow, but I have never been snowed on, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
A quick online check shows that play sand is indeed denser than powder snow, by a factor of about 5x-6x (Play sand is about 100-120 lbs/ft^3, powder comes in at around 18.7 lbs/ft^3).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 10, 2014, 05:18:32 pm »

Oh, you were specifically talking about snow. In that case, snow is compressible as opposed to most powders, therefore what MonkeyHead said.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 10, 2014, 06:51:54 pm »

Sand also has properties related to friction between particles, whereas I believe falling into show would slow you down because the impact melts snow, compresses snow against other snow thus heating it, and then immediately freezing the compacted snow.

I suspect it would be about as bad as falling onto moist sand. But I think it heavily depends on the freezing and thawing cycles the snowbank has experienced and which have changed the consistency of the snow. Certainly it doesn't take much for snow to get hard enough that falling on it means broken bones. 
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:23 pm »

Having actually lived where powdery snow is common:

It'd probably be akin to falling on a bed. Maybe a bit worse. You've got ~1.5 feet of snow that isn't fully compressed, and pretty much solid snow underneath (as the weight of the snow has compressed it).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 11, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

Oh you're right, he was talking about deep powdery snow. I'm a dummy!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 11, 2014, 02:43:12 pm »

So. What's a "magic girl" I know what Fire Emblem is, and but why are they is it so popular in the FGRP sections of the forum?
It's totally a different question now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 11, 2014, 02:49:24 pm »

So. What's a "magic girl" I know what Fire Emblem is, and but why are they is it so popular in the FGRP sections of the forum?
Because 1. People like Fire Emblem, and 2. Someone made a working system and people seem to like it. Basically the same reason as RTD and Mafia, as long as you aren't asking for a specific reason.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 11, 2014, 02:54:43 pm »

Because 1. People like Fire Emblem, and 2. Someone made a working system and people seem to like it. Basically the same reason as RTD and Mafia, as long as you aren't asking for a specific reason.
It's more of an idle curiousity, since it's apparently the third most posted in thread on this forum.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 636