Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 683786 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

I would say my family's brand of Protestantism is fairly mild. They just go to church because they go to church. I don't think there's any real sentiment there, and from my father's words at least I'd say he's probably agnostic.
Much of the stuff they view as absolute
What stuff do you refer to? There's really very little that fits the bill...
On phone atm. Will respond when in possession of proper computing eqiipment.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Should I necro the Booze thread to ask a booze-related question, or start a new one?
The OP doesn't seem to have been active in a couple of years, not that that really matters.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

*shrugs* If you can improve upon the OP or intend to moderate the thread after starting it up, sure? New one's maybe a good idea in that case, just link to the old one in the OP or somethin'.

If you don't intend to do either of those, probably just go ahead and necro. Same effect, less effort, and necroing's fine so long as you bring something new to the thread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Wait, this isn't the religion thread? o.O
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

:v

The religion thread will ocasionaly possess other threads, sometimes along with its partners, the europol and the ameripol threads.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Catholicism just drips with dogmatic practice that seems unfounded in the core cannon of the religion-- It is the very thing that Jesus actually got lividly angry about in regard to prior behaviors by the pharisees and saducees. (Though to be quite honest, the "fundamentalist christian" movement in the US would equally raise his ire IIRC.)
I doubt that he got angry at people following stuff that wasn't explicitly mentioned in the bible... He got angry at people abusing their power and losing faith. Although the second implies the first, there is a world of difference in between.

I'll raise you one Matthew 15.

That is pretty specific about being religious hypocrites, and following secular doctrine over sacred edict. Catholicism fails big time at that. (and again, so does the fundie christian movement in the US.)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Is a show election generally considered to be fixed/rigged/fraudulent, or is it a thing all of its own?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The election is rigged, if the winner is predetermined, and the voting process itself is only there for show.

If the election process is impotent (does not actually mean anything), and thus is not engineered to have a predetermined outcome (because the outcome is meaningless) then it is not rigged, but still only for show.

So, it depends on what you mean by "show election."

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Catholicism just drips with dogmatic practice that seems unfounded in the core cannon of the religion-- It is the very thing that Jesus actually got lividly angry about in regard to prior behaviors by the pharisees and saducees. (Though to be quite honest, the "fundamentalist christian" movement in the US would equally raise his ire IIRC.)
I doubt that he got angry at people following stuff that wasn't explicitly mentioned in the bible... He got angry at people abusing their power and losing faith. Although the second implies the first, there is a world of difference in between.

I'll raise you one Matthew 15.

That is pretty specific about being religious hypocrites, and following secular doctrine over sacred edict. Catholicism fails big time at that. (and again, so does the fundie christian movement in the US.)
Well, that bit was about putting tradition above the spirit of God's law: He didn't mind the Pharisees washing their hands, after all. It's a different issue.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it wasnt about the washing of hands, the issue was about the dogmatic adherence to the tradition, over what was actually ordered by god. (the handwashing thing came out of the levitical laws, where there was a proscription against being uncleanly, at least in terms of sewerage removal, and basic civil hygiene. It was never ordered to wash your hands, and body religiously. You must understand that the Pharisees and Saducees had this dogmatic fixation on washing, and would actually charge people for the service of using the laver (basically a religious bathtub) to cleanse themselves before entering the temple.)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Precisely - over what was actually ordered by God. There's nothing in there about people doing stuff that's not mentioned at all, but is also not prohibited. IIRC this started with a question about saints: I dare you to find a prohibition against praying to saints in the bible.
The Bay12 postcard club

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

It kind of depends on exactly how you pray to them. If you're just asking them to pray for you, as in the Litany of the Saints, then it's fine - it's almost exactly the same as asking your friend to pass you the salt, but on a cosmic scale.

If, on the other hand, you're saying 'All hail (name of saint) (generic praise) (generic praise intensifies)" then you have a problem, as identified by 'You shall have no other god (before me).'

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's old testament though, so you're free to ignore just as much as you're free to ignore the anti-shellfish rules. After all eating invertebrates is an abomination and we decided later that it's ok to do this just because some of them are tasty. Whereas the "no gods" part is just a "don't do this" without the "abomination" label. So going off the biblical language, worshipping saints is not as suspect as eating oysters.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:48:15 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

The 10 Commandments are Old Testament too, I assume you're not allowed to ignore them?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Technically, yes. It's entirely possible to construct an argument that literally anything is Biblically okay if you're willing to ignore the spirit of the thing.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 636