Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 636

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 683813 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2400 on: May 28, 2016, 01:13:49 pm »

Or turn around and install vista or somethin'. I can tell you, I don't get notifications to update to windows 10 on this machine :V

... other than that, maybe consider checking the services, if that stuff works anything like it does on older versions? Would be an option to turn off whatever's overseeing the ad. Or consider a third party program... BES, ferex, can flag an application for immediate throttling -- you'd point it at the update screen's .exe or whatev' and set it to full stall. It'd stop the program from doing anything right out the gate, though it'd still show up in processes or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: May 28, 2016, 05:53:40 pm »

Is there a way to disable the 'get windows 10!' thing? Altering the update list thing worked for a while, but it looks like Microsoft decided that it absolutely shouldn't. Thus far I'm just force closing the update screen via task manager, but I'd rather not have it come up at all.
GWX is here to save the day deny windows 10.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: May 28, 2016, 07:32:44 pm »

How much effort is actually involved in upgrading to 10, anyway?
My computer sure doesn't get hassled to upgrade, but I would like to. I've made do without a start menu for far too long. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: May 28, 2016, 08:13:11 pm »

It would not be worth it for 7, for 8 the effort would depend on if you get a broken 10 or a working one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2404 on: May 28, 2016, 08:16:11 pm »

It took basically no effort for me, honestly. The hardest part is the adjustment to the new start menu, which i frankly don't like as much as the pre-8 one. If it's only the start menu that you're missing though, Classic Shell is pretty great, it made 8.1 tolerable for me. Hell, maybe i should install it here on 10 as well. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 02, 2016, 02:38:21 pm »

Considering if I should open a youtube and twitter account to host a four job fiesta lets play thing, but I've never actualy done such a thing, maybe with a thread on Play With Your Friends and naming characters after randomly picked thread posters, but a side of muh brain says nah.

Wat do?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 02, 2016, 03:37:07 pm »

For all you Windows 10 naysayers keep in mind that the free upgrade ends on July 29th, so even if it's not perfect if you ever have any intention of switching to it ever in the course of the next 5 years (which you probably should eventually simply because in a few years we are probably going to start seeing stuff that will require it to function properly) than you should consider switching by then.

It took basically no effort for me, honestly. The hardest part is the adjustment to the new start menu, which i frankly don't like as much as the pre-8 one. If it's only the start menu that you're missing though, Classic Shell is pretty great, it made 8.1 tolerable for me. Hell, maybe i should install it here on 10 as well. :P
You can also just start right click+unpin/removing things until stuff gets back down to a sensible amount (it's still somewhat bigger, but it no longer needs to have all those stupid app suggestions).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 02, 2016, 03:45:13 pm »

Considering if I should open a youtube and twitter account to host a four job fiesta lets play thing, but I've never actualy done such a thing, maybe with a thread on Play With Your Friends and naming characters after randomly picked thread posters, but a side of muh brain says nah.

Wat do?
First make sure your computer is actually capable of recording and uploading, then decide further.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 02, 2016, 04:09:24 pm »

For all you Windows 10 naysayers keep in mind that the free upgrade ends on July 29th, so even if it's not perfect if you ever have any intention of switching to it ever in the course of the next 5 years (which you probably should eventually simply because in a few years we are probably going to start seeing stuff that will require it to function properly) than you should consider switching by then.
By the time stuff actually requires it in a few years, win10 will either work well enough to be worth putting on my next computer, or be replaced by win11. I don't see why I should mess with a perfectly working computer for the sake of microsoft's due date.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: June 02, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »

win10 will either work well enough to be worth putting on my next computer, or be replaced by win11
Sure it will work or be able to be replaced by Windows 11... for around $120 more to purchase the OS of course.

I mean personally it took me a grand total of about 45 minutes of fiddling with settings/etc. to get my fresh install of the current version of Windows 10 computer working just as well (or better in some cases) than my other (not upgraded yet) Windows 7 computer currently does (and honestly almost half of that was spent just getting the menu bars/etc. to be able to actually be a "true" black instead of just a very dark grey color). For me 45 minutes of work is well worth saving future me $120+ somewhere down the line, but hey, to each their own I guess. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 02, 2016, 04:53:59 pm »

I have seen windows 10 on other peoples computers, it works fine.

When it actually bloody works. Except for one computer, every time I've seen windows 10 on someone's computer its because its not working correctly for them, be it mystery unclosable MS Edge windows or actual problems to fix. I have more interesting things to do than fix something I can fix by not using it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 02, 2016, 05:00:38 pm »

I have seen windows 10 on other peoples computers, it works fine.

When it actually bloody works. Except for one computer, every time I've seen windows 10 on someone's computer its because its not working correctly for them, be it mystery unclosable MS Edge windows or actual problems to fix. I have more interesting things to do than fix something I can fix by not using it.
Strange, of the 8 or so people that I know who have upgraded and are using it the only one who is running into anything even similar to what you are talking about was the person who shoved it onto a computer that was already halfway broken and experiencing those problems in the old OS anyways. I mean sure I heard stories of people running into problems like that because they jumped on the upgrade bandwagon when it first came out, but in the last 4 months or so I haven't heard anything similar that couldn't be reasonably linked to prexisting problems that they were already having during the update (most of which get fixed if you do a fresh install and then just migrate over what you need rather than doing a true "upgrade" on top of the old OS).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 05, 2016, 02:57:34 am »

Which book should I read now: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, or The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon?

(Posting from my phone, so I couldn't include the accent in the the latter name.) 

Edit: Never mind, I have decided on Shadow of the Wind due to how insanely windy it is here currently.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 04:54:36 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 06, 2016, 12:30:44 pm »

I know this sounds terrible, but I'm honestly just curious...
Many Patreons charge on the first of the month, and charge nothing when you join.  So you get the benefits instantly, but can cancel before the first of the month.  Apparently.

Er, is that right?  Am I missing something?  I guess the patrons have to have verified payment (which would stop casual leeches), and patron rewards are commonly shared via other channels.  But still, seems a bit odd.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 06, 2016, 12:34:58 pm »

I'd assume the better benefits/rewards are related to having been there long enough to be an actual patreon.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 636