Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This leather harvesting idea wouldn't work, would it?  (Read 3759 times)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This leather harvesting idea wouldn't work, would it?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 06:31:24 pm »

Do any animals give multiple hides, or am I best off buying from caravans, and slaughtering all my turkeys?

only if they are big enough and die in pieces and were NOT tame animals, so yes, slaughtering turkeys, dogs and cats is more likely to work

On the other hand, building automated death machines to breed and killdrop wild unicorns/elephants/rhinos/cave crocs in great quantities would be well worth it, as they breed like dogs or better, don't starve, and have 5x value modifiers... and superior tough leather in some mods such as Genesis.
Also you have a machine that breeds unicorns, then tosses them down into giant pits to explode in piles of gore.

Hell even if you don't get leather you've already summed up a good enough reason to build a fortress.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 07:29:09 pm »

My idea would be chaining the wild animals in a large room. Then, channel out all the floors, except for the floors around the chain (so the animal doesn't fall). Then build a retracting bridge, wait for them to breed and pull the lever in a 10+z drop.

Would this work? Of course big animals would make the bridge stop working, so opening it at the moment the animal breeds is the most likely scenario.

Tricky, the baby animals will want to stay with their mother on the safe central area.  You'll have to use a tame animal behind a window to scare them onto the bridges.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 04:42:33 am »

Also you have a machine that breeds unicorns, then tosses them down into giant pits to explode in piles of gore.

Hell even if you don't get leather you've already summed up a good enough reason to build a fortress.
Dwarf Fortress: where an exploding unicorn death factory is a goal unto itself.
Me gusta.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 08:49:53 am »

If you do build this, make sure you have a lot of butcher's shops and dwarves with the butcher skill enabled.  A falling elephant can easily create a dozen separate butcherable items when it splatters.  Each one of those will clog a butcher's shop to maximum clutter level when a dwarf tries to butcher them.  A single butcher dwarf simply won't be able to get to all of the body parts before they start rotting.  Be prepared with an army of butchers in advance.  Tanners too, if you're trying to harvest as much leather as possible.

I recently dropped four rhinoceros down a shaft in my fortress, and even with a dozen butcher's shops some of the parts rotted before they could be processed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:16 pm »

After 31.25 I don't even bother with animal husbandry. It always ends for me with hundreds of animals walking around my dining room and trampling grass, starving, fighting, etc. I just butcher every non pet migrants bring on the spot, but keep a few cats around, Even cats are an annoyance with all that dead vermin.

All you have to do is pasture them.  Non-grazers only need a 1x1 space and they'll be happy, egg layers need nests too.  Immature offspring can all be shoved in a cage until they grow up and are either slaughtered or bred.  I slaughter any stray grazers the immigrants bring in, because many of them require far too much space to be worth it, though sheep can be worth it since they only need a 4x4 space preferably dug out in a soil layer somewhere, and they can produce milk and wool as well as meat.  Also, junk pets like rabbits and cavies which I certainly don't want breeding in my fort get atom smashed.

I once put two animals, one dog or something, and one bird in a 1x1 watchtower, and they were fighting, so I don't think a 1x1 space will cut it. Besides once they have litter, I'll have to pasture that too, or put into a cage. It is just too much work to even bother. I kept some grazers for milk and wool, but they produced it slowly, and it is easier to order milk and wool from caravans, if I even wanted it. Egg layers are OKish, because I usually can pick up the eggs before they hatch, but I generally don't need the extra food. Bees are way below being rewarding for the effort it takes to have them.

I just find it easier to slaughter everything, and even with 2 or 3 butcheries I have trouble keeping up.

As for dropping animals to their deaths, I've heard somebody build an automatic breeder for elephants with pressure plates, but I only ever managed drop traps with goblins (and it killed some of my Dwarves too).
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »

If you put tons of dogs on top of a pillar, eventually they breed to the point where they start attacking each other and falling off. Instant automation right there.

The fact that you know this...  :o

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 04:08:13 pm »

it'll be difficult to get wild animals there though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 05:00:42 pm »

Oh hey, a signature.
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 03:08:57 pm »

If you put tons of dogs on top of a pillar, eventually they breed to the point where they start attacking each other and falling off. Instant automation right there.

The fact that you know this...  :o

Idea nabbed from someone else in a thread about making blood machines :P

'Have since used it to keep Dwarves nice and bloody clean :D
Pages: 1 [2]