Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34

Author Topic: *We need your help with game ending stress*  (Read 103095 times)

TheKingOfWays

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: *We need your help with game ending stress*
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2019, 05:35:38 pm »

Don't think I have anything that hasn't been said already, but these are my thoughts.

1. Too much micromanaging - I already find it somewhat annoying to make beds for each dwarf, and this adds more on top of that. I don't think the system is bad at its root, and it does add nice character moments for your dwarves, but as a player I (atleast) want to focus more on the fortress as a whole. Building taverns and temples is interesting, but having to search through each dwarf's preferences so they have the right labors and food is not.
In the version I was playing, I also couldn't satisfy my dwarves needs for martial arts, practicing a craft, or abstract thinking very easily. It isn't perfectly clear what satisfies these needs, and even then, you would have to cycle all dwarves through a training regime and micromanage all your dwarves activities to make sure THEY get to make crafts, and not your master-level mason with no other labors assigned.

2. It seems like a better way for this would be to just have "free" training grounds or workshops where dwarves can go when they need to work off stress. This gives the player another "thing" like taverns and temples to build. Another person in this thread had the suggestion of dwarves stowing away such items crafted in their rooms, which would lead to more emergent character moments too, though the inevitable flood of items from this probably isn't ideal.

3. Stress builds up too much, and doesn't go away over time? Specifically in my games, the penalty for corpses seems to stack too much. I don't know if it's already the case, but maybe there should be large diminishing returns. The goblin's kill many more dwarves through the psychological warfare of their dead bodies than their weapons. And even if you do try to fix a dwarf's problems, it's hard to turn it around. You can fulfill their needs and give them a nice room, make sure they're not in combat or overworked, and they won't get better, they just won't get worse. You almost need completely filled taverns and temples to make any progress, and dwarves seem hardier creatures than that.

All that said, I do think the game is better with it than without. Tantrum spirals feel somewhat inevitable, but they occur for a good (and generally intuitable) reason now.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2019, 06:02:23 pm »

Communication is so important for the question of frustration.

I remember reading a question/complaint in the Masterwork subforum from someone in adventure mode who couldn't move, and they were griping about stupid bugs. The helpful forumites there diagnosed it as a case of the adventurer being !!on fire!! after attacking a modded creature with magma-like body temperature. When this person understood that everything that happened was part of the simulation as intended, the tune changed to, "This game is so detailed! It's awesome!"

"Losing is Fun" but not knowing why you're losing is never fun. I can easily imagine that communication mismatches account for 80% or more of new player frustration, these things that the devs know what needs to be done but the interface as it stands is not conveying in any easy manner. If we can overcome that we're not newbs anymore and we come here to complain about bugs and tuning issues instead.

AwesomePurplePants

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2019, 07:23:00 pm »

Some thoughts I’ve had

———
One feature request I’d really like would be for child dwarves to be able to form godparent relationships with unrelated dwarves. If I have a lonely orphan, and a gay/asexual dwarf who wants a family, it would be nice if the two could hook up the way lonely singles can fall in love. I’d love it if sufficiently family-mad dwarves had the option to latch onto kids they became friends with as surrogate children. Stuff like that often happens in fiction, and it provides a solution to a stress state that right now can be impossible to satisfy.

———

I can assign a dwarf to figure out inventory so I don’t have to. I can assign a dwarf to handle justice so I don’t have to. They might do a terrible job sometimes, but I have some ability to delegate.

Why can’t I have a Matchmaker noble, with a honeymoon room they can compel Dwarf singles to spend time in if they are caught complaining/ are an eligible romantic match for someone who complained and happen to get in the Matchmaker’s way?

Could I have Head Priests who have a worship quota, that run around nagging Dwarves who worship their god to go to service with a bonus based on piety? A Master of Ceremonies who tries to throw parties that force dwarves to socialize? A Dojo Master who tries to get Dwarves who are pining to train to brush up on basics? A Counsellor who’ll chase down dwarves close to breaking and make them do something that makes them happy.

Maybe some of these things are stuff I can’t assign - a dwarf will just decide they want the role and claim it if the rooms needed to do it are available and become a noble. Right now nobles are kind of annoying, often getting death traps if they get too demanding. But if a noble can randomly decide to take on a purpose that removes a pain point, maybe it’s worth trying to satisfy whatever silly thing they demand for themselves.

OrangeDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2019, 09:10:10 pm »

Does every need have a corresponding free-time action that attempts to complete it (like "Pray to ___!")? I expect that some (such as seeing animals) probably don't, and instead rely on accidental fulfillment. But if most or all did, then perhaps one partial solution could be to only update the unfulfilled needs penalty when they specifically attempt to fulfill the need but fail, rather than having a constant penalty per need over time. That way, players would never have a frustrating case where a dwarf complains that they haven't done X in a while even though they never even tried to do X during their spare time.

On another note, regarding rain: It'd be nice if dwarves who are currently having free time and get rained on would deliberately move somewhere that's under a roof; I'm envisioning a tavern that has both outdoor tables and indoor tables. I think the rained-on thought should also only occur after a certain period of time instead of instantly. Hell, you could even add craftable umbrellas, though that might be too much of a programming rabbit hole to go down.

5150wned

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2019, 10:48:56 pm »

I've read several pages and I want to share:
  • The stress statistics/system itself is debatable, but it does work.  Even corpse viewing is balanced numbers-wise.
  • Please don't punish not getting things a dwarf likes, producing a masterwork fine pewter statue of penguins studded with nickel and encrusted with fire opal cabochons should not be a requirement to keep a dwarf sane.
  • The way dorfs ai responds to needs/stress is not.  Dwarfs should take better care of themselves.

Alot of the problem comes from the unwieldy ui/menu/hauling inefficiencies.  I'd like to recommend changes/improvements to that over reworking stress.

• Make it so that dorfs can carry more than one item when hauling
  • Improve item storage
  • These first two will help alot by giving dorfs more free time to fill their own needs
  • dwarves stressed by lack of [thing] should tell their noble about it
  • that noble should then relay that to you through their demands screen, "construct [X] for dwarf [Y]" or "dwarf [Y] requests to join the [army/craftsdwarves/scholars/etc]"
  • maybe let the noble ignore requests for dorfs they don't like
  • fix the clothing system so that dorfs can change their xx_pig_tail_sock_xx even if their metal low boot is in perfect condition.
  • lose/nerf the negative thought from *items* that have only degraded over time.  It isn't art defacement if it wears out after 10 years.

fortunawhisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2019, 11:10:49 pm »

I want to know what kind of play style is causing people to quit in frustration.

Here's how my forts usually end up unhappy. I embark in a fresh new spot in a new world. It has everything I need: running water, trees, huge deposits of ore. This time, I swear I'll have something to trade with any caravans that show up. The first couple of years pass in a exciting blur of making rooms, stockpiles, and production orders. Then the first siege shows up. I've usually remembered to train a few military types, so it's no real hassle to send them outside to kill everything. Maybe this time I had a few bodies who weren't fundamentally opposed to the military. Assuming it all goes well, I usually end up with lots of dead bodies, their stuff, and no dead dwarves. That's when the trouble begins. My military is buried in bad thoughts related to see people die and/or hauling dead bodies around. If the invaders had the ill grace to die or lose a body part somewhere underground, they start to stink. My workers, always busy, now have lots more jobs up on the nauseating surface, hauling invader junk. I've basically given the dwarves lots more work in an environment they tend to find intolerable. Gods forbid it be raining too. Still, the fort survived and no one important died. Keep going! Cue the next siege, and the next, and the next. After a while, it becomes obvious the dwarves are unhappy. Maybe it was the parade of the flashing red arrows or the tantrums that took out the entire clothing industry, from sheep to spinners. I guess I need to do something about it. I begin checking each dwarf to find out why they're unhappy.  Nauseated by the sun and hate nature? No more farming for you. Badly distracted by an utter lack of a social life? Take a break from your labors. Misses... eloquent speech? Whatever, we'll schedule a poetry jam just for you. Generally, this is the final phase before I quit. I'm now hyper vigilant for the tantrum announcements. I'm constantly pausing to make sure whoever has the Attend Meeting job has access to the mayor. I'm endlessly manually locking and unlocking doors to manage access. I'm trying to manually juggle labors so workers have enough free time to meet needs. I'm checking the wiki and the forum for the latest lore on stress management. I'm forbidding all items on multiple Z's at once, then picking out the few I want or need. None of this is fun micro (for me). And I still need to do all the things I actually wanted to do. Eventually, Something Bad happens: the legendary whatever maker goes insane, magma crabs breach the liquor stockpile, a tantrum in the military results in a trail of dead bodies and toppled buildings.  Ugh.  I could save scum, and retry the last month or so... No, I'll just quit.

TLDR: Keep playing. Even successfully run forts (appear to?) break down under unmet needs, mounting stress, and negative personality shifts. Finally: Love the game, praise the makers!

Swordtoguts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 31, 2019, 12:25:41 am »

Been playing a bit off and on usually after updates on the front page then I feel like playing again. I usually play my forts for around 20-30 years when feasible assuming I don't bug the game into crashing every spring or I don't FPS Death myself by accident, Firebreathing forgotten beasts making ungodly amounts of smoke burning troglodytes in the walled off caverns not withstanding

In regards to the stress system I don't hate it as a whole, There are just a few tweaks that need to be adjusted most just to maintain a playable level.
Most of my suggestions are about dwarfs handling their own problems because the unmet needs are across the board seem to affect the stress of my dwarfs the most

Food Needs
The food one is the most oppressive one especially in when the item in particular is impossible to procure and when you do they will almost always eat it straight unless its something that isn't eaten raw.
The Primary change I would throw in is make generally well cooked meals at least quell the general desire for a cooked meals and eating it raw (Unless it is their favorite foods) not reduce it in that case, Then when they eat a good roast with their favorite food it goes a long way into satisfying its need. But on the chance they eat Mastercrafted roast with their favorite food in it should provide a positive thought strong enough to possibly sway their personality slightly the other way from the dragging negatives as if he had a bite of heaven itself.

Worshiping 2 gods
Pretty low key a dwarf breaker in a few previous forts some dwarfs enter the fort with the need to worship only 1 god while another came in with the need for 2. The ones who worship 2 though are at a long term disadvantage the second god will always be passed over in a loop to worship the other god and that need for that god will never be fulfilled and that need in 10 years of continuous play will eat him insane because he couldn't fathom walking a few steps down the hall and kneeling at the statue in the next room over and praying. There is also the dwarfs who don't pray in a non-dedicated temple but for me that's less the issue because a temple for each god is a baseline design but not intuitive to a new player.

Death and Dwarfs
I usually play with the pop cap somewhere between 30-60 I allow children to grow the population beyond that and wars are usually manually started now that raiding is a thing but i only have somewhere between 10-20 special selected military that I use on the fortress map because they can handle it.
But even though they are battle hardened as can be the dead doesn't bother them but it does bother traders so they all have to be moved out of sight but impossibly not out of mind each corpse of an enemy is its own negative thought and a 100+ dead corpses I can't make the military alone clean that up alone it will never be done before the next trader and before the next siege arrives. So it goes without saying a dead body bad thought needs a nerf only in terms how often it is allowed to occur in the same week. Or as well i have another solution that could work at least in terms of long term exposure.
Dump Wheelbarrows
This change I would suggest is for wheelbarrows to allow it them as a general usage possibly have them tied to a stockpile (I don't recommend because keas are awful if the wheelbarrow is outside) or make a specific work stockpile that only excepts wheelbarrows for labor hauling. Then when in use allow the wheelbarrow to load with multiple items to a maximum size or only 1 if the object in question is a giant 3000lb forgotten beast and then allow them to take those items to their proper stockpile and spread them around the stockpile as they see fit like they would if they took all the parts 1 at a time. So instead of weeks of 1-tooth ,1-hand, 1-severed head, 1 mangled torso, at a time and some of these are quite heavy depending on creature the dwarfs operate at wheelbarrow speeds and if multiple things destined for the same stockpile, dump location, or trade post. The overall time taken would be massively reduced to an in-game day reducing exposure times. Some might argue this can be done with minecarts but the problem with minecarts is they need a track and an already existing stockpile(Which won't be all over the map unless you were using corpse stockpiles to prevent trees from growing) to pull from and i see it as a kind of no dwarf necessary automated item mover than a cleanup item solution
But without some sort of reductions to the mental damage of seeing a dead body or at least a decay of its severity with each exposure (Outside of how the military won't care from seeing it all die) its still going to hurt but probably like 1/10 as much do to less exposure

Military needs
The need to practice martial art as I see it is a need for exercise I don't think this part of the needs system itself needs an adjustment as much as a way for dwarf to seek this out on their own like going to the temple, Tavern, Random meeting table, That wagon you forgot to disassemble 10 years ago, because some dwarfs don't need to be in a military squad they can't personally hand the rigors of battle without becoming exhausted and dying. Yet!
Easiest way is having an ability to designate an area as a training grounds that dwarfs can congregate too and off-duty military as well and dwarfs will personally pick up some stockpiled training weapons in the area maybe some temporary armor (Perfect use for an armor or weapon racks) and spar this could also include other dwarfs the ability to "Spectate Sparring match" and learn (which would handle that pesky "Unable to Learn Something" Need) or more importantly make conversation with those around them and make friends or rivals if some dwarfs like to argue.
But most Importantly how the martial art need is satisfied needs a small tweak to allow a full training session without increasing a skill level to satisfy that need. Right now the practice martial art need can even be the downfall for military dwarfs. They become so well trained that it takes forever just to satisfy this need. Legendary military dwarfs hit a cap some point in their tenure with the need itself becoming impossible unless you take their weapons away, which they usually became attached to and force them to start training another type just so they can train in something new.

Also if you train an easily stressed dwarf in the military just to sate his stress and his need for military training, He's a time-bomb. He now has to maintain training forever because as soon as he stops the backlog of needs he had been fighting off will take his 0 stress level at the slightest exposure to a bad thought (I don't understand which personality traits allow some dwarfs to build up happiness and others are hard-locked at 0) to something well within tantrum range he also won't stop training to take care of his other needs while off duty. Now you have a ripped body builder who just discovered that he can't make anymore gains no matter how much peahen egg he consumes, Then he'll tie the skinny gem-cutter to the ceiling by his beard and use his face as a speed-bag.

I Require to Acquire
This is one of the most frustrating need impossible to manually to anything about besides send the dwarfs on a never ending hauling job to move finished goods back and fourth till they find something they want and claim it they don't seem to actively seek out obtaining new things even clothing sometimes they'd rather wear the worn out sock over getting a new pair. But most dwarfs in my fortress are already wearing their pick of goods so they acquired something once right? I think the need itself needs a rework to either decay really really slowly or dwarfs attempt to trade up when they are stricken with the need but It seems to not be good for the game itself if every dwarf lives in a sea of old clothes and rings,crowns, etc. that they don't wear anymore one way or another it seems like dwarfs need to either need less in the long run or more willfully seek out something new and more easily discard their old stuff

"Favored" Dwarfs
In a bid to talk about playstyle and how it can effect new players I often in the fort "Know of" 20 or so dwarfs the rest kind of vanish into an unimportant position in my mind because they haven't gotten my attention early enough. These 20 usually are also the most demanding the ones who turn bad from the first round of negative thoughts usually due to a thought targeting specifically the handling of stress something about rain and I end up having to dedicated a lot of time to just trying to placate them. I start off knowing up my starting seven I often forget to put some sort of nickname on them and they are lost after the sea of immigrants fill the fort at higher populations though these 20 sap the fun out of the game and eventually they are the ones I retire the fort from. They cry they trash everything they don't make friends they make enemies instead but do not gain happy thought about arguing but a need for it but they are also related to half the fort and banishment means everyone goes and I usually have a goal in mind and banishing half the fort would put a damper on that. Seas of corpses from invaders do kick the rest of the fortress into a frenzy of depressions bust most seem to rebound eventually but a few of those may push themselves through a few years of bad thoughts to make themselves part of the problem few but when the number of people I have to manually babysit gets so high I've just had it with the fortress so I quit and worst yet is I can't start a new fort in the same world because they will be back and they will be just as cranky as I left them
The saddest part is these handful of dwarfs will never find redemption their existence is marred by my negative feeling towards them they are more likely would be an "accident" That went missing and a slab made to commemorate them. What these individuals need is something that can push them back the other way maybe if they somehow survive going 10-100k stress and i drag them back down to 0 or better maybe they should get a very very strong change in their personality that only targets how they handle stress and insure they don't rebound again. Going through hard times should make even slightly better times feel like amazing times.

I don't think anyone starting on dwarf fortress is going to focus so hard on even 20 dwarfs just to survive. The dwarfs need a way to handle their own needs and wants without player input

Being Creative, Doing Work
Slightly related to my other paragraph but not addressed is while I cling to these other dwarfs hanging hand over foot on their needs because they cause the most trouble I would suggest a dwarf to have to ability to do freelance work on their own free time if they feel the need. What I would suggest is some sort of designation system when you can tag workshops for free work and dwarfs with a labor attached to that workshop will use it (Probably Sparingly unless its making bone-crafts or wood-crafts) just to make themselves feel better because the be creative one or keep busy although easy to focus on when your watching that dwarf like a hawk because your hovering over him the ones that are unobserved go and fester outside my vision till the interruptions start.

I would also consider new direct designations for Items allowed to be used. My idea on this part is to on top of said workshops have an allowed objects and you designate it much like you would forbid, dump, or melt. You tag these objects as free use and dwarfs who want will use those to make whatever they will. Maybe we can have the ability to make bone carving knifes and dwarfs will take a bone and knives around with them and make little figurines at a reduced rate while also hanging out in an tavern or temple on their free time.
This idea would tie nicely in with an economics update as some free market capitalism which would work for guilds but is not on subject so a spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Exciting life
I don't even know how to properly address this Need. It's a double edged sword at the moment. In my current fortress there are no keas but there are buzzards and grey langurs they run up cause a heap of trouble everyone gets a million stress from VENGEANCE! The animals retreat and come back again because they didn't steal anything yet. It satisfies the need for an exciting life but causes a whole heap of trouble. And That itch will be back. The number of times you can feel vengeance in relation to everyone who "Joined" a fight and the same animal retreating and coming back like a bomber on its second run, something with the vengeance needs a tweak.
I think some dwarfs should think about retirement from excitement. I think the vengeful or conflict thoughts should probably have a point where the personality changes to "Ok things have been exciting enough maybe i don't "Need" excitement anymore I'm Retired."

Rain is icky, Waterfalls are not
Rain holds too much sway on a dwarfs psyche oh how many have fallen to being slightly moistened it holds too much sway over the average dwarf but as someone else pointed out previously a change in how hoods and cloaks could prevent weather thoughts would go amazingly and the dwarfs stereotypical hatred for nature would be preserved.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This took me a few hours to articulate I probably missed some things I set out to say and I might remember later if that becomes the case I might edit in a new paragraph but I think the greatest of the problem is how changes to personality just beat down the poor dwarfs without relent and don't seem to allow positive thoughts to take the personality the other way.

Even Still love the game will keep playing new forts regardless but with stress as it is I can't live without Dwarf therapist
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:32:56 am by Swordtoguts »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 31, 2019, 02:59:59 am »

Mostly played adventure mode with a lil fort mode experience, I notice some of the stress building seems to be tied to fear and creatures with lil to no fear end up avoiding a huge chunk of stress from seeing of death and corpses, which means moving in spider-folk or barkscorpion people into a fort to manage corpse hauling and military while the dwarves do everything else.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2019, 06:06:07 am »

The main problem I have personally is that I think managing a fort should not be all easy and self-resolving, but harder parts of it should be more engaging, e.g. if a thing requires player input this thing should also be in player's control. Otherwise the player turns into a passive receiver of bad news.

The secondary problem is stress/needs system is 99% punishment, 1% reward. As was said here earlier, making a token dwarf's "absolute favorite statue ever" should be "the best day of that dwarf's life", not "the first non-miserable day so far". This is further amplified by the main problem, in that the player often has no control over things they get punished for. Which leads into...

The secondary-secondary problem: the default state of the overwhelming majority of (non-psychotic) dwarves should be "whatever+-" instead of "I'm gonna kill myself and everyone I love". What that means is, if there are no current threats to a token dwarf's survival and freedom, but nothing exciting in their life either, that dwarf should slowly drift towards ambivalence, not insanity.

To sum it up, there are way too many places in the needs system where the game tells the player: "If you don't do X, you will have a bad time, but there is only one way to do X and you have no direct control over it". This leads to the player having to force X to happen through arranging the very rigid favorable conditions using meta knowledge of the game - what is essentially an exploit.

Separately, I'd like to address the issue with corpses also. The way it works right now is rather bizarre from both simulation and gameplay point of view:
1) The hauler goes into the corpse field, pedantically counts every single body and severed limb and gets individually affected by each and every single one. The state of the corpses is irrelevant: even the ages old skeletons are horrifying.
2) The hauler picks up one of the bodyparts and drags it to a place designated by player. Usually the one with an exploit (atom smasher), because, again, there is no other way to solve the spookiness of skeletons.
3) The hauler returns to point 1. If a season has passed by now, those ages old skeletons are as spooky as if the hauler never seen them before.

I see three (non-exclusive) ways of resolving this problem without having to turn all dwarves into cold-blooded sociopaths:

- Make corpses disappear over time. Either with the help of predators/vermin or slower, but on their own, ages old bones would be carried off or simply hidden by the soil and growth.

- A new job or an expansion upon an existing one (such as Furnace Operator, for instance). The worker will similarly go to each and every corpse, but, instead of hauling, perform a job that turns bodyparts into unusable but harmless "ashes" item (or something like that). To prevent valuable corpses from being destroyed, the exact work area can be defined through a zone, the same way fruit gathering works. This solves the repeated spook, the slow drag of hauling and the need for exploits all at once. The player still has to clean up the mess (the "ashes" clutter), but no longer gets needlessly punished in the process.

- Make invaders more dignified in defeat. Say, there would be a commander noble that is appointed in each siege. When the siege is considered lifted, your dwarves and invaders become neutral to each other, and their commander (if alive and not caged) will go attend meeting with your militia commander. Invaders will request to retreive their dead for burial, to which the player can either agree, refuse or order to continue fighting. If player agrees, each remaining invader picks up a (non-citizen sentient) corpse and leaves the map; if mechanically possible, they may also be made to pick up items to add to the player's dilemma ("They are running away with my loot!"). If the player refuses, invaders simply leave without fighting. The third option equates the way things always happen in the game currently. This is the "hard, but engaging" approach where player gets to choose between having clean up and loot, as well as between letting the invaders go (to surely return next siege) or making even more corpses.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:10:36 am by Sver »
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2019, 06:56:08 am »

- Make invaders more dignified in defeat. Say, there would be a commander noble that is appointed in each siege. When the siege is considered lifted, your dwarves and invaders become neutral to each other, and their commander (if alive and not caged) will go attend meeting with your militia commander. Invaders will request to retreive their dead for burial, to which the player can either agree, refuse or order to continue fighting. If player agrees, each remaining invader picks up a (non-citizen sentient) corpse and leaves the map; if mechanically possible, they may also be made to pick up items to add to the player's dilemma ("They are running away with my loot!"). If the player refuses, invaders simply leave without fighting. The third option equates the way thing always happen in the game currently. This is the "hard, but engaging" approach where player gets to choose between having clean up and loot, as well as between letting the invaders go (to surely return next siege) or making even more corpses.

I've never come across a suggestion like this (I also just did a lazy search and came up with nothing). There's lots of scope in it. I suggest putting it in the Suggestions Forum, too, so that it isn't lost. People can argue in that thread whether goblins would care etc. Post Battle Corpse Retrieval Truce maybe or, instead, an actual good title.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2019, 07:18:18 am »

Guess I'd need to flesh it out a bit more for a dedicated suggestion, but yeah, will probably do that.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

CheeznWhine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2019, 07:54:55 am »

I created an account just to comment here *I am impervious to stress as a result of having to create a bay12 account in 2019* and say that there is absolutely nothing game-breakingly wrong with stress at all. This is THE GAME. This entire thread is unreadable and reminds me of the people who complain about "micro" in Rimworld. Or my moody dwarf who feels better after crying on someone in charge.

I regularly start a fort with little to no planning and can end up in year 5 before I have significant stress problems. Learn to build a bedroom. Learn to have a variety of crops. Set-up a decent clothing industry.

Don't get online and cry until my game is game-breakingly easy. FFS you can dupe metal and two farmers can feed like 50 dorfs. You should try managing 40 to 100 people in real life (especially if you control the entire economy); I think you'd find DF is not unbalanced.

I was recently in a conversation about Skyrim and all the new live support games out there and the one thing we all agreed on is that the player feedback is almost always off-base. Basically, outside some guy like me who doesn't want to see the nature of the game ruined, you are far more likely to get some outspoken noob or a set-in-their-ways veteran who wants you to match their play style to give you an opinion than hear from someone who wants you to stick to the crazy kind of focus and thinking that got you into the MOMA in the first place.

Burn this thread o7

*by significant stress problems I mean 3 or more (out of 100) dorfs I expect to lose to insanity; obviously higher in evil biomes buuut that would be expected no? I also always have one level of discipline on all 7 dorfs- I continue to maintain that if you think stress is broken in 44.12 you need to "git gud"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 08:00:18 am by CheeznWhine »

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2019, 08:17:47 am »

- Make invaders more dignified in defeat. Say, there would be a commander noble that is appointed in each siege. When the siege is considered lifted, your dwarves and invaders become neutral to each other, and their commander (if alive and not caged) will go attend meeting with your militia commander. Invaders will request to retreive their dead for burial, to which the player can either agree, refuse or order to continue fighting. If player agrees, each remaining invader picks up a (non-citizen sentient) corpse and leaves the map; if mechanically possible, they may also be made to pick up items to add to the player's dilemma ("They are running away with my loot!"). If the player refuses, invaders simply leave without fighting. The third option equates the way thing always happen in the game currently. This is the "hard, but engaging" approach where player gets to choose between having clean up and loot, as well as between letting the invaders go (to surely return next siege) or making even more corpses.

I've never come across a suggestion like this (I also just did a lazy search and came up with nothing). There's lots of scope in it. I suggest putting it in the Suggestions Forum, too, so that it isn't lost. People can argue in that thread whether goblins would care etc. Post Battle Corpse Retrieval Truce maybe or, instead, an actual good title.

I'm going to second this, this is an amazing suggestion.  I think it could fit in well with the current move to having diplomacy pre-battle on artifact reclaims, and is a natural continuance for the post-battle.  I like this a lot. 

I also liked the suggestion of having corpses eventually rot away completely, or at least become less horrifying as decomposition lengthens.  Personal example:  Seeing a deer that's recently been killed isn't so bad (road kill, coyote, etc).  Seeing a deer after 2 weeks in the summer sun as it's stinking and bloated, torn open and covered in maggots is terrible.  Seeing the skeleton of a deer, really not so bad at all. 

Suggestions for corpse hauling being able to pick up multiple objects are also great.  I believe you can already assign wheelbarrows to a corpse stockpile, but again you're left with that 1 item at a time problem.  Also the downside of having only 1 item to 1 stockpile square (without exploiting quantum stockpiles anyways, or having a garbage dump and dealing with the corpses that way).

I know there are also people who mention wanting to see stress disappear completely.  While I respect their right to an opinion, I'm going to strongly disagree with that direction.  It was great after the .3X versions suddenly not having to worry about stress anymore, but it got very boring VERY quickly, as there was no longer any real threat to your fort after learning to take care of the basics and creating effective militaries.  I like the multiple threats to your survival, even stress, since LOSING IS !FUN!, so really don't want to see stress disappear.  Just to be balanced more realistically, instead of always swinging from one extreme to the other.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2019, 08:51:30 am »

*by significant stress problems I mean 3 or more (out of 100) dorfs I expect to lose to insanity; obviously higher in evil biomes buuut that would be expected no? I also always have one level of discipline on all 7 dorfs- I continue to maintain that if you think stress is broken in 44.12 you need to "git gud"

Um, no.

3 dwarfs out of 100 is not an acceptable number of losses when the fortress is otherwise running well.

The first insane dwarf should be a sign that your fort has started to fail.

janxious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • buy me a coffee
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2019, 09:09:06 am »

I created an account just to comment here *I am impervious to stress as a result of having to create a bay12 account in 2019* and say that there is absolutely nothing game-breakingly wrong with stress at all. This is THE GAME. This entire thread is unreadable and reminds me of the people who complain about "micro" in Rimworld. Or my moody dwarf who feels better after crying on someone in charge.

I regularly start a fort with little to no planning and can end up in year 5 before I have significant stress problems. Learn to build a bedroom. Learn to have a variety of crops. Set-up a decent clothing industry.

Don't get online and cry until my game is game-breakingly easy. FFS you can dupe metal and two farmers can feed like 50 dorfs. You should try managing 40 to 100 people in real life (especially if you control the entire economy); I think you'd find DF is not unbalanced.

I was recently in a conversation about Skyrim and all the new live support games out there and the one thing we all agreed on is that the player feedback is almost always off-base. Basically, outside some guy like me who doesn't want to see the nature of the game ruined, you are far more likely to get some outspoken noob or a set-in-their-ways veteran who wants you to match their play style to give you an opinion than hear from someone who wants you to stick to the crazy kind of focus and thinking that got you into the MOMA in the first place.

Burn this thread o7

This came to from someone who is having issues posting on this forum but asked for help getting her reply here:

Listen dude, I don't care if you want to be all "Oh I don't have problems with stress, git gud", but if >95% of the playerbase outside of this forum has significant problems with stress - to the point veterans are complaining and the developers ask for help diagnosing(!) - then there has to be SOME fix.  If you've been around so long, you'd know the aim isn't to be a very hard game that gatekeeps newcomers - hell, the whole point of the Steam release IS to be welcoming to newcomers.  The point of the game is the simulation mechanics - which, as of right now, are broken.  Even with a perfect crop rotation, clothing industry, and Legendary dining halls with perfect Royal bedrooms for every dwarf, you're still going to have forts fall because it rained outside.  Regardless of how "hard" you want the game, the developers don't want stress to be the endemic problem it is right now.  Regardless of that difficulty preference, having One Right Solution (small 2x3 taverns, microing labours, wagon-dumping to avoid rain) is not how a simulation is meant to be played.
so many orthoclase blocks
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34