Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 155

Author Topic: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-36 Decisions, Decisions  (Read 665527 times)

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Necromancer! Chapter 2-2
« Reply #1110 on: August 10, 2012, 01:23:19 am »

Yes. Definitely.

Personally, you can post a little and fade for awhile. Just finish the cliffhanger!

I know I'm not one of your dedicated fans, but I love the story so far and want to see it brought to a natural sleeping point.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: August 10, 2012, 01:48:17 am »

Same here. Don't want to put undue (read: any) pressure on you, it's just that this story deserves to be completed.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: August 10, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »

Ha yes, same here. I don't mind a few updates every three months - I'll still be reading them ! But that's just me, and I'm patient.

But do what's the most comfortable for you I guess. You have a fantastic story, and I'm glad to see it's still alive :)

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: August 19, 2012, 02:00:32 am »

do i have to help raising it? :D
i have experience with such things, i have raised two thread already.

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: August 19, 2012, 09:38:14 am »

It's not dead. Monk stated that he was busy, and will get back to us when he can. So no, no necroing.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: August 19, 2012, 09:59:50 am »

I do believe this has been my most well received project... ever

If it helps to give you an idea...I first found this thread back on page 40-50 or so.

I caught up and read every post by the following day, and I'm still following it six months later.

Endymion107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: August 20, 2012, 07:20:05 pm »

I was lucky enough to find this thread by accident when it was still on its 3rd page or so, (every week or two I do a google search for pretty much anything involving necromancy, games, books, short stories, dnd rulebooks, etc.) checked the thread about 5-10 times a day for updates every day after that, until monk's post about being on a hiatus, since then I have checked every few days.

I do not mind waiting a few more months if it is needed.

As long as this thread/story never dies completely.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 24, 2012, 11:39:20 pm »

I've been following this thread for quite a while. Now it's one of the 3 or so on the "new replies to your posts" list that I actually check up on. I too don't mind the wait, and will be joyful indeed the day this story continues.   ;]

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: August 25, 2012, 12:08:14 am »

I mostly lurk, but pitch my two cents in every now, and again glad to be involved with this thread.

Fireiy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 26, 2012, 05:23:48 am »

Just finished reading all up to this point. Its a great story, too bad monk12 is distracted with other things. I'll wait if I have to however.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: August 26, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »

Best story is best. I haven't come across a game that's provoked the same amount of sheer thought from me before, and I doubt I will again. Whenever you're ready, Monk, we'll be waiting. At least, I will be. :)

I wish we could revive a bit of that old arguing/debating we used to do, though. That was the most fun I can remember having since I stopped having theological debates with a classmate of mine two of three years back. Maybe if we continue to keep this thread alive with such critical thinking and arguments, it'll help Monk with ideas and keep the interest going until he's able to come back.

For example, I took a few moments to reread parts of the thread, and I noticed a few things I hadn't beforehand. I don't know if anyone mentioned this before- I can't remember that far back, and I haven't reread the entire thread yet, but here goes:

One, it's mentioned that "an unlikely band of heroes [rose] up to slay [Balkoth] in battle and [ended] his reign of tyranny,or somesuch." Such a tale would likely be well-documented, if exaggerated- why don't we look for it? Knowing how those heroes defeated Balkoth might help in our own endeavors, both offensive (against the other necromancers) and defensive (against those who might use those same techniques against us). Besides, I'm honestly curious about it.

Two, I noticed something about the rope doll- at first, when we used Animate Object, it's specifically mentioned that the purple fire that was our necromantic magic seemed undirected. Then, when we used Alter Golem to create eyes by imagining we could see through them, the purple fire became predominantly consolidated in the golem's head, with two brighter points of light for eyes. And, when we cut the golem apart, the entire body and the head contained the same amount of vitality- one. Perhaps Vitality is what is needed in order to simulate senses and movement. Thus, in order to create muscles and the like, could we merely gather more vitality, insert it into the golem, and do the same thing, except imagine moving and the like? Could we even give the golem a necromantic mouth, allowing us to speak through it?
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: August 26, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »

Best story is best. I haven't come across a game that's provoked the same amount of sheer thought from me before, and I doubt I will again. Whenever you're ready, Monk, we'll be waiting. At least, I will be. :)

I wish we could revive a bit of that old arguing/debating we used to do, though. That was the most fun I can remember having since I stopped having theological debates with a classmate of mine two of three years back. Maybe if we continue to keep this thread alive with such critical thinking and arguments, it'll help Monk with ideas and keep the interest going until he's able to come back.

For example, I took a few moments to reread parts of the thread, and I noticed a few things I hadn't beforehand. I don't know if anyone mentioned this before- I can't remember that far back, and I haven't reread the entire thread yet, but here goes:

One, it's mentioned that "an unlikely band of heroes [rose] up to slay [Balkoth] in battle and [ended] his reign of tyranny,or somesuch." Such a tale would likely be well-documented, if exaggerated- why don't we look for it? Knowing how those heroes defeated Balkoth might help in our own endeavors, both offensive (against the other necromancers) and defensive (against those who might use those same techniques against us). Besides, I'm honestly curious about it.

Two, I noticed something about the rope doll- at first, when we used Animate Object, it's specifically mentioned that the purple fire that was our necromantic magic seemed undirected. Then, when we used Alter Golem to create eyes by imagining we could see through them, the purple fire became predominantly consolidated in the golem's head, with two brighter points of light for eyes. And, when we cut the golem apart, the entire body and the head contained the same amount of vitality- one. Perhaps Vitality is what is needed in order to simulate senses and movement. Thus, in order to create muscles and the like, could we merely gather more vitality, insert it into the golem, and do the same thing, except imagine moving and the like? Could we even give the golem a necromantic mouth, allowing us to speak through it?

We need to make the components of the doll real parts off a body. The doll's legs have the shape of legs but the doll doesn't "know" it are legs. Like you said we could do that by imagining we are the doll and do the thing we want him to be able to do. We tried it with the eyes but we never tried it with the muscles or brains and we keep thinking about: maybe so.... while we haven't tried the  most obvious thing, i think we should trie to make a golem walk as soon monk is back.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 03:01:06 pm by Child of Armok »

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 26, 2012, 03:08:11 pm »

We need to make the components of the doll real parts off a body. The doll's legs have the shape of legs but the doll doesn't "know" it a

But then what's the point of making a golem in the first place? Why not just use a corpse? The only possible benefit I could see is to be able to make a whole zombie from the parts of several other corpses that by themselves are missing their own parts- like attaching the head of another ant to the beheaded ant at the beginning of the story. I doubt it would do much for our image as the Good Necromancer to play Dr. Frankenstein like that. Besides, Ropey hardly had anything that resembled eyes on its head when we gave it sight.

(Also, I like how we tend to refer to You are a Necromancer as a story rather than a game. I think that says something about it.)
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: August 26, 2012, 07:03:01 pm »

A flesh golem would probably be less time consuming to make than say, a stone golem. It would take much more energy to get the stone golem fully functioning then it would to just attach parts that already have muscles, tendons, and ligaments. However one benefit I can see to the stone golem is it's resilience, stone is not as squishy as flesh. It would also pack more of a punch, because it's heavy. On that point it would take a lot of vitality to support the stone considering the muscles would have to be huge. So it's a trade off if we were to build a golem, and we're not willing to make a flesh golem we should find a sturdy material to build them with. 

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 26, 2012, 07:10:06 pm »

If we are going with golems then we should visit the dwarves as soon as possible, perhaps we can convince them to craft us some suitable vessels for our servants.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 155