Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964460 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion: checking dates is for squares edition.
« Reply #360 on: May 05, 2015, 09:51:10 am »

I noticed your name because of the Iro- ... Coincidental funniness of that post, but that name is outstanding, just saying.

Irregardless, I think the End Times was very "Chaos Always Wins", I think.
... Which makes me really wanna check out the Total War game about it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 05, 2015, 09:53:22 am »

While gamesworkshop isn't exactly known for their ability to end the storylines of their games, they could at least indicate what happens when the emperor finally dies, IE terra is swallowed by infinite warpstorms/a new chaos god is born/the emperor reunites with the fragments of his soul and is reborn into a badass chaos mauling gigasoul/leman russ comes back and dances a tango with a daemonette/nurgle becomes infinitely more powerful/etc.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 05, 2015, 10:19:43 am »

While gamesworkshop isn't exactly known for their ability to end the storylines of their games, they could at least indicate what happens when the emperor finally dies, IE terra is swallowed by infinite warpstorms/a new chaos god is born/the emperor reunites with the fragments of his soul and is reborn into a badass chaos mauling gigasoul/leman russ comes back and dances a tango with a daemonette/nurgle becomes infinitely more powerful/etc.

As they like to put it 40k isn't a story, it's a setting. If it progresses much it ceases to exist.

That said the whole issue of what happens to the big E when he dies is supposed to be mysterious to us because no one in setting knows either, much like the issue of his divinity, the fate of the primarchs, the two lost legions, and pretty much every other mystery in the setting.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 05, 2015, 10:29:50 am »

Well, except that GWS has deliberately been lifting the veil on pre-Age of Apostasy lore with the Horus Heresy novels. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn more about the two lost legions in the coming years, for how often they get mentioned in the HH novels.

And frankly....the universe is more interesting as a mystery than a story. You simply cannot do justice to legends in fact. Talking primarchs...aren't nearly as awesome as you'd want to them to be. The Emperor talking to people isn't as awesome as you'd want it to be.

Which is why I'm afraid of 40k's "End Times." Everything dealing with the death and/or ascension of the Emperor sounds boring, and stupid. The Star Child is stupid. 40k is one of the few settings I require no forward motion in.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 05, 2015, 10:38:52 am »

As they like to put it 40k isn't a story, it's a setting. If it progresses much it ceases to exist.

That said the whole issue of what happens to the big E when he dies is supposed to be mysterious to us because no one in setting knows either, much like the issue of his divinity, the fate of the primarchs, the two lost legions, and pretty much every other mystery in the setting.

This has come up before, and I maintain that they could progress the storyline, and make it into a new status quo, with interesting new dynamics.

A Tyranid invasion so massive it blots out all the suns, and the necrons fully awakening and fighting the endless hordes with ancient technosuperweapons?
An Imperium after the fall, a once proud galactic society now faced with a choice: to continue the fall and end up as yet another forgotten race, or to reconquer their vigor and find new meaning?
A further expanding Tau empire, starting to feel the difficulties of managing vast expanses of space while holding of ever more alien and Chaos incursions?
The Eldar and dark Eldar, seeing the true danger of the growing eye of terror, and beginning an uneasy alliance to construct a network of pylons to hold the madness at bay?

Yes, I would sign up for that.

Oh, and even if you progress, you can still tell stories set in the current age. Like how they still write books on 30K, even though all the major events and course of history is known.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:41:01 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 05, 2015, 11:04:12 am »

Well it's very clearly stated in the harlequin codex that things are coming to a head.

Basically the book of Sheogorath Cegoragh was bound with a bunch of locks which only opened under certain conditions - I.E. Ahriman finding out about the Black Library-
Now that it's open, it's calling hundreds of Eldar to become harlequins which is why they've become so numerous lately.
Basically the book details the "great dance", which seems to be a massive elaborate prophecy detailing how in which the Eldar can trick Slaanesh into saving their race, at the cost of Slaanesh's godhood.

Which is cool.

My personal opinion is that the setting requires progression- but that doesn't necessarily mean it needs to Go anywhere.
Why not just have each particular theatre get wrapped up in a player campaign, and then spawn new theatres from those results, etc etc.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 05, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »

Yea, there's actualy tons of cool things in the 40k universe that require progression to happen. The 40k universe isn't centered around the emperor vs chaos conflict (despite what fanboys and pretty much any 40k based game developer likes to say), and there's tons of ways insane shit can happen that can possibly break the stalemate.
The eldar have both cegoragh and the artificial god they're creating by siphoning their dead souls into their craftwords and whats left of the webway;
There's the tyranids going around as a near infinite wave tearing shit up;
There's many primarchs which are possibly alive and waiting for a cue to return (leman russ, jaghatai khan, vulkan, corvus corax, maybe robot girlyman too);
Non imperial factions like the illuminati;
The necrons, both awakened and unawakened;
Mars and the void dragon;
Chaos primarchs/people which could cause a lot of shit if they stopped being two dimensional villains (magnus, lorgar, magnus, abbadon the armless, MAGNUS).

Games worshop will just keep milking the stalemate forever, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:05:12 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 05, 2015, 12:22:31 pm »

As far as I and the wiki are aware, the emperor's "alive-ness" is minimal and contentious.
Basically the only things he is capable of doing currently is being a passive conduit of psychic energy which powers the failed warpway gate in the back of the palace, and being the figurative "north" on the astronomicon's psychic compass.

Yeah. The Imperium's basically just been doing the Sci-Fi/Fantasy equivalent of "Weekend at Bernie's" for the past few thousand years.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 05, 2015, 01:15:34 pm »

The 40k universe isn't centered around the emperor vs chaos conflict (despite what fanboys and pretty much any 40k based game developer likes to say

Uh, GWS pretty much disagrees with you too.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 05, 2015, 04:06:20 pm »

He has the Emperor's Tarot, if that's what you mean.
The whatnow?

a new chaos god is born/the emperor reunites with the fragments of his soul and is reborn into a badass chaos mauling gigasoul/leman russ comes back and dances a tango with a daemonette/nurgle becomes infinitely more powerful/etc.
I reckon he'll become the first (and only) Order god once he dies. His psychic powers (or something else) is anathema to the Chaos gods so it makes sense, and who's to say the millions of psykers sacrificed to him just went away? What if they've actually become a part of the Emperor as his soul fragments and gets lost in the warp? Then once he dies all the fragments rejoin and we have a new Emperor empowered by the souls of several million psykers gathered over the course of ten thousand years....JUST AS PLANNED.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 05, 2015, 04:19:38 pm »

He has the Emperor's Tarot, if that's what you mean.
The whatnow?

Decks of psychically resonant tarot cards that are used to divine the future and the Emperor's will. Since they're highly based around symbolism and interpretation it's unclear if the Emperor actually influences them or not.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #371 on: May 05, 2015, 05:47:31 pm »

There's also all the cool factions that don't have an army to their names like the Hrud.
There's also whatever happened with the Old Ones.
The Orks possibly doing something bigger than what they've been doing since their creation like maybe evolving into the Krork or something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 05, 2015, 07:04:56 pm »

Basically the book of Sheogorath Cegoragh was bound with a bunch of locks which only opened under certain conditions

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets those two mixed up
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 05, 2015, 09:30:44 pm »

There's also all the cool factions that don't have an army to their names like the Hrud.
The Orks possibly doing something bigger than what they've been doing since their creation like maybe evolving into the Krork or something.
The Old Ones were eaten first by the C'Tan and then daemons. "Krork" is just the old name for "ork".
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 05, 2015, 09:49:17 pm »

The Old Ones were eaten first by the C'Tan and then daemons. "Krork" is just the old name for "ork".
While what you said is mostly accurate kinda...that video is just about the most inaccurate thing I've seen, and I say that as a fan of the series.
No one really knows what happened to the Old Ones after the Enslaver plague; they might have fled the galaxy, they might have died, no one knows.
There is the Hrud's deity Qah who's heavily implied to be the remnants of an Old One, however.
About the Krork, no one really knows. It could be the old name for Ork, it could be the intended form of the Orks as made by the Old Ones (because they certainly wouldn't have relied on the goddamn Orks to fight the C'Tan for them), it could be nothing. It's the problem of the lore being so vague.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 824