Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964323 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3915 on: April 25, 2016, 04:48:59 pm »

Loud Whispers...you realize that superior logistics/efficiency is the only reason the Tau have survived this long against the Imperium, right? The Imperium very specifically does not have a safe means of FTL travel. The Tau do. They don't dive deep enough into the Warp to get Daemons. They have to plan farther ahead to have good logistics, due to the slower speed, but in terms of running a galactic empire? You want reliability and not losing ships to the Warp every fifth convoy. They also aren't saddled with self-serving planetary governors, the inefficiencies and bulk of the Administratum, or worries about the Astronomicon, since their travel sticks to realspace enough to navigate without it.

Sidenote re: plot armor; what exactly do you think luck in 40k is?

Edit: oh yeah, and most Septs being basically self-sufficient helps with logistics too, versus the hyperspecialization of the Imperium.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:54:16 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: April 25, 2016, 04:49:49 pm »

*snip*
Yes. The Orks are the biggest and strongest.

Theoretically.

On a more practical level, it is likely that they will never truly unite, even under the banner of Ghazghkull. And without uniting, they will become (incredibly dangerous) space pests that rarely pose a true threat to the greater Imperium. There are exceptions (The Beast comes to mind) but even then it is important that humans can do that too, but with a far more impressive backbone and possible allies. And they have abilities similar to the Orks.

Sisters of Battle, ladies and gentlemen. Sisters of Battle.

Their faith, while not often having the effect of making da' red unz' go fasta', does bend reality to their psychic will. And the will of the SoBs is united, unlike the Orks who have difficulty deciding which god is which. If a SoB tithe, similar to the one the IG uses, was implemented and massive congregations were held, much !!Fun!! could be had on the Imperium's part.

That and the Imperium, although mismanaged, does have an actual logistic and strategic base with which they can act upon. Massive reserves, a vigilant navy, Tactical Genius and the use of actual tactics (instead of running with your choppa yelling "GREEN IS BEST" at the top of your lung) give a large advantage to the Imperium.

And that's not even considering how stupid Orks are. I would imagine it is fairly simple to mislead them.

Anyway, that's jut my opinion. You may bring forth the Exterminatus upon this heretic if it pleases you m'lord.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:51:32 pm by 90908 »
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3917 on: April 25, 2016, 06:40:40 pm »

Sidenote re: plot armor; what exactly do you think luck in 40k is?
There is a profound difference in 40k between luck, "luck" = warp shenanigery and Wardian plot armour

Loud Whispers...you realize that superior logistics/efficiency is the only reason the Tau have survived this long against the Imperium, right? The Imperium very specifically does not have a safe means of FTL travel. The Tau do. They don't dive deep enough into the Warp to get Daemons. They have to plan farther ahead to have good logistics, due to the slower speed, but in terms of running a galactic empire? You want reliability and not losing ships to the Warp every fifth convoy. They also aren't saddled with self-serving planetary governors, the inefficiencies and bulk of the Administratum, or worries about the Astronomicon, since their travel sticks to realspace enough to navigate without it.
The Tau can travel long distances faster than light, the Imperium can go from one end of the galaxy to the other with 0 distance traveled in realspace, there isn't really any comparison in who has the superior logistics. There is a reason why the entire Tau Empire could fit inside a single Imperial subsystem, whilst the Imperium is made up of the entire extent of most of the milky way with an uncountable quantity of worlds which they nonetheless futilely (yet must to maintain tithes) keep track of, because the adminstratum is grimdark like that. The Imperium has the second most-efficient method of warp travel after webway gates (whose usage is limited to those who have found/know of safe routes, with Imperials actually managing to occasionally find and use Eldar webway gates without getting flooded by demons or dark eldar). There is a reason why the Imperium is measured in control over stellar systems, not continuous control of territory as the Tau are.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the Imperial controlled galaxy

During the Third War for Armageddon, all 9 first founding chapters sent several companies (and the Black Templars diverted three crusade fleets) over this distance:
That's excluding the other 14 chapters from other foundings sent. Also all three Inquisitorial branches and their three militiant branches got involved, with SOBs, Deathwatch, Grey Knights and Assassins running about. The most distant Imperial Guard faction to send brigades as far as I can tell were the Death Korps of Krieg (Krieg being roughly half the distance to Armageddon as the Ultramarines or Blood Angels were), suggesting the Imperial Guard has around half the response time of the first founding chapters when it comes to redeploying to another warzone, which makes sense given how many more people the guard are organizing (and it makes sense the Death Korps were the most distant still capable of responding in time given their grimdark organization times). Excluding the Armageddon regiments already present:
67 Regiments and 17 battalions of Guardsmen (tank formations varying by regiment), 18 companies of storm troopers, 12 penal legions, 9 batteries of artillery, 3 Regiments of Ogryns and 3 tank legions were sent by guardsmen from other systems. Couple that with the 23 chapters of space marines, the 10 companies of SOBs, the 7 Titan Legions, 4 Ordinatus Machines and 14 Skitarii regiments sent - sending all this war materiel across 6 times the length of the whole Tau Empire without losing lines of communication with their origin points; it's incredibly easy to see whose logistical capabilities are superior. And that's whilst excluding the forces that were already present upon Armagaddon. With the Astronomicon allowing for an astronomical level of logistics to take place in rapid fashion and the Astrotelepathica allowing an Imperial world to quickly raise alarm from one side of the Galaxy to the other, vast quantities of resources can be redeployed at all the chaos incursions, secessionists, xenos raids, invasions, tomb awakenings e.t.c. there is no contest.
It's telling for example that in the preparation for the Great Crusade, despite having all the manpower, material and spehss mahrines needed to conquer the galaxy; it could not begin until the Terrans completed construction of the Astronomicon. Just as the Imperium could not expand further into the Eastern Fringe because it was beyond even the light of the Astronomicon (and the true limit of their logistical reach), the Tau have reached the limit of theirs - lacking a ready source of telepaths and navigators from their own people to make speedy warp travel and communication possible.

This is why the Tau expand in spheres, because their travel goes through realspace, whilst the Imperium's logistics goes beyond realspace and time into some quantum bureaucratic fuckery that nevertheless, makes it all possible.
The black squiggle is the space crossed and time taken for both forms of warp travel (obviously not in any way quantifiably linear).
The Tau engine slingshots in and out of the warp, never really being in it too long to be dangerous, just enough to ride on warp currents and make it ftl. Yet every time they're back in realspace they're following the laws of physics again and this slows things down immensely. Gothic spaceships on the other hand only have the distance they need to get away from habitated areas and the distance they need to fall short of habitated areas to travel in realspace before they enter/exit the warp. Once in the warp as long as your navigator doesn't die you'll be able to take the currents quickly without interruption and arrive at your exit point having not traveled through realspace at all, which is why a journey that should take Imperials 100,000 years takes a few days (or if warp fuckery gets involved, makes you arrive earlier or later. I wonder if an Imperial has warp jumped out and met their future selves yet). Of course the obvious downsides being to be "safely" immersed in the warp your ship needs a gellar field and a warp drive, meaning you can only travel in bulk. Given that the Imperium only knows how to transport in bulk, not much of an issue :P

And this is all why the webway gates are pretty much the only thing that could one up this... If it worked. Small (on the cosmic scale), efficient, doesn't require personnel to man it, doesn't need gigantic gellar field or warp drives, can transmit in bulk or small quantities in times shorter - would be pretty damn neat if it wasn't broken to hell and all cryptic / full of mindrape / evil robots / sadist space elves / a literal god trying to eat your souls
I suppose the latter is a moot point if the warp is full of four of those though, so the only real issue is it's exclusive to those who have the maps :D

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3918 on: April 25, 2016, 06:51:41 pm »

(or if warp fuckery gets involved, makes you arrive earlier or later. I wonder if an Imperial has warp jumped out and met their future selves yet)
Ordo Chronos exists... existed... will exist to deal with that, but the guys themselves fuck with time a lot so at the point of 41st Millenium there is apparently none of them left, but yet they apparently appear when there is apparent need.
Apparently Wh40k Doctors Who.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3919 on: April 25, 2016, 07:15:17 pm »

(or if warp fuckery gets involved, makes you arrive earlier or later. I wonder if an Imperial has warp jumped out and met their future selves yet)
Ordo Chronos exists... existed... will exist to deal with that, but the guys themselves fuck with time a lot so at the point of 41st Millenium there is apparently none of them left, but yet they apparently appear when there is apparent need.
Apparently Wh40k Doctors Who.
"Perhaps Puritan Ordo Chronos Inquisitors (‘Time Hunters’?) ruthlessly hunt down anyone who has fallen prey of a mistimed warp jump, just in case anything happens to alter the Imperium’s fate. Equally, perhaps Radical Time Hunters seek to utilise heretical technologies, and consider changing the course of history a valid way of keeping the Imperium alive? Just imagine the wars that these two factions could be fighting without the rest of the Imperium ever even knowing about it!"

THE ORDOS RETCON'S IDENTITY IS REVEALED

*EDIT
You get some hilarious fan theories on this, like the Ork who kills his past self to get two of his favourite gun, or the vessel that rushes to the aid of its own distress signal. Also pretty neat is that the Ordo Chronos were born out of some far flung place called Jericho Reach that took years by warp travel to reach it, until Imperials found a warp gate to use to attack Chaos in it. Makes sense that in the time it took to find this gate the sheer volume of people getting displaced in time from years of warp travel all concentrated in one place would've warranted an Ordo where all the various isolated incidences elsewhere could be passed by without too much notice
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:23:11 pm by Loud Whispers »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: April 25, 2016, 07:40:38 pm »

...A Dark Heresy game with the party being acolytes for an Ordo Chronos Inquisitor could be awesome.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: April 25, 2016, 07:58:30 pm »

*A man wearing a long black leather coat rushes into the room*

"STOP! I've come from the future to warn you about a terrible decision that will spell ages of darkness and misery for all humanity!"

*A mass of half-starved bond slaves chained to their bolt shell pressing machines with Imperial scripture forcibly tatooed on their faces and grotesque and unnecessary augmetics grafted to their flesh looks up at the man. One says:*

"You wot mate?"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: April 25, 2016, 08:56:47 pm »

However, the Eldar have pocket holography, organic structures, spirit stones and monofilament.
An STC was found for a monomolecular blade that never diminished or dulled.

Very very big tanks doesn't surpass that, IMO.
I heard that humanity figured out how to make a sword made of black holes. It's also confirmed that they used anti-matter engines instead of plasma engines like the Imperium uses. They're called annihilation drives, if I remember correctly.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: April 25, 2016, 09:00:49 pm »

However, the Eldar have pocket holography, organic structures, spirit stones and monofilament.
An STC was found for a monomolecular blade that never diminished or dulled.
Not quite the same as monofilament. Besides which...Eldar have that too. It's called magic.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: April 25, 2016, 09:10:40 pm »

I will say that (as others have said) it is very firmly implied that humanity at its full potential (in the 40k universe) would be one of the most naturally intelligent and powerful species in existence.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: April 25, 2016, 09:17:09 pm »

I will say that (as others have said) it is very firmly implied that humanity at its full potential (in the 40k universe) would be one of the most naturally intelligent and powerful species in existence.
Well duh, who's it written by?

And what gets purchased the most?

What I'm hearing right now is that humans are not actually the underdogs in this scenario, they're the Big Bads. I mean, if the Stalinist and Nazi iconography, ritual sacrifice of minorities, explicitly genocidal intentions, and theocratic regime based on hatred, fear, and ignorance wasn't enough to show that.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: April 25, 2016, 09:23:50 pm »

Besides which...Eldar have that too. It's called magic.
So they need to tap into the realm of impossibility and imagination to get a monoblade while humanity merely needs a decent factory. You haven't really made a good case for the Eldar.

I will say that (as others have said) it is very firmly implied that humanity at its full potential (in the 40k universe) would be the most naturally intelligent and powerful species in existence.
FTFY

What I'm hearing right now is that humans are not actually the underdogs in this scenario, they're the Big Bads. I mean, if the Stalinist and Nazi iconography, ritual sacrifice of minorities, explicitly genocidal intentions, and theocratic regime based on hatred, fear, and ignorance wasn't enough to show that.
That's what they are now but that doesn't mean they're intrinsically evil, they're just doing what's necessary to survive. Should they become completely dominant in the galaxy, they wouldn't need these policies and would abolish them, ushering in an era of eternal peace and prosperity for all (including intelligent xenos, so long as they didn't break that peace and prosperity).

It sounds stupid, naive, and idealistic, but it's true. That's what would happen.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: April 25, 2016, 09:31:24 pm »

So they need to tap into the realm of impossibility and imagination to get a monoblade while humanity merely needs a decent factory. You haven't really made a good case for the Eldar.
Eh, as mentioned earlier, all Eldar tech involves magic. They all have it and can all use it, so it's an everyday thing for them to have to psychically project in order to call someone on the phone, or meld souls with your dead twin in order to pilot a warmachine.

Eh. I'm just following occam's razor. Things which have been around longer know more.

However that does provoke an interesting question- could the dark age of technology humans have been on the brink of following the Eldar hedonistic degeneration, except the age of strife stopped that action?

Also, what on earth were Khorne, Tzeentch and Nurgle doing during the age of strife? Was nobody being corrupted, or was there just a big cordon built around the maelstrom so renegades had nowhere to hide?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:33:20 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: April 25, 2016, 09:32:26 pm »

...Eldar factories tap into that realm. That's the default for Eldar. I'm talking about the 'never degrades' bit. Hell, we don't really have any idea what shit the Eldar actually had at their peak. You're comparing post-apocalypse Eldar tech to pre-apocalypse Human tech. Real even comparison there, huh?

That's what they are now but that doesn't mean they're intrinsically evil, they're just doing what's necessary to survive. Should they become completely dominant in the galaxy, they wouldn't need these policies and would abolish them, ushering in an era of eternal peace and prosperity for all (including intelligent xenos, so long as they didn't break that peace and prosperity).

It sounds stupid, naive, and idealistic, but it's true. That's what would happen.
Oh please. That's what every dictator regime says. "Once we win, it'll be peaches and cream!" No. The Imperium would start to crumble without an enemy. Without a war effort to be in desperate need of material. Humanity would splinter, like it always does, and you'd be back to the same old thing. Hell, you could say that about literally every other race, too. Except for Orks, but that would be war and prosperity, is all. They would also genocide all even mildly interesting xenos.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: April 25, 2016, 09:42:29 pm »

Yeah, it's far, far more likely that Tau would be the 'Everything could be peace and prosperity' race.
However, the Farsight stuff has entered a few doubts as to the severity of the hold which the Ethereals have over the Tau.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 824