Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964181 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #5865 on: August 22, 2016, 02:28:49 pm »

100%, but you're only half right. They're not Eldar. They're Dark Eldar. Who else has the ability to project a radically different appearance?

Tau civilization is actually the single longest and most complex Death Performance ever pulled off by a kabal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: August 22, 2016, 02:33:36 pm »

Can't, they aren't. Though the dark eldar doing it? Well given Kot's reactions to the tau I can believe it, especially since they've taken in the greater good themselves :P

As for ethereals getting into melee, given that they're more there as leadership, them getting into combat, melee or otherwise is something that tends to be avoided what with their death usually leading the others to run around like headless chickens. The honor blades are more symbols of office than something actually meant for combat (Not that they can't be used for it though.)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: August 22, 2016, 02:39:55 pm »

100%, but you're only half right. They're not Eldar. They're Dark Eldar. Who else has the ability to project a radically different appearance?

Tau civilization is actually the single longest and most complex Death Performance ever pulled off by a kabal.
Dark Eldar are Eldar. It's in the freakin name. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: August 22, 2016, 02:43:10 pm »

If you ran into a group of humans who looked normal, but could survive without food, water, or air so long as they could make someone else die in their place, and were addicted to this process, and actually didn't look normal but more like walking desiccated corpses who projected a normal appearance into your mind, and also will die if not allowed torture for long enough, and universally had a psychology that in normal human terms would be extreme antisocial disorder at their best, would you really consider them humans?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: August 22, 2016, 02:45:25 pm »

If you ran into a group of humans who looked normal, but could survive without food, water, or air so long as they could make someone else die in their place, and were addicted to this process, and actually didn't look normal but more like walking desiccated corpses who projected a normal appearance into your mind, and also will die if not allowed torture for long enough, and universally had a psychology that in normal human terms would be extreme antisocial disorder at their best, would you really consider them humans?

Donald Trump isn't THAT hideous.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: August 22, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »

Tem outta Tem, post of the year.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: August 22, 2016, 02:48:26 pm »

Also... less politically

That is the EXACT description of the Imperium Emperor.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: August 22, 2016, 02:49:29 pm »

Tbh 'murica hasn't had a somewhat human looking presidential candidate in a few decades.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: August 22, 2016, 02:52:31 pm »

Yeah? What else would they be? Human undead are still human, as opposed to elven undead.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: August 22, 2016, 02:53:01 pm »

Tbh 'murica hasn't had a somewhat human looking presidential candidate in a few decades.
Obama looked like an average human at the beginning, now he looks like he aged 50 years in the last 8.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: August 22, 2016, 02:59:10 pm »

Eh, it is implied that every Ark Mechanicus (at least the old ones) is like that to some extent, so there is at least two of them. :P
And no, they weren't made by C'Tan or Void Dragon, since they're actually the thing Mechanicus are looking for - complete, self-updating STCs in ship form. They represent the peak of Human technology, which really looks like it was way more advanced than even Old Ones/Necron stuff.

EDIT:
I just noticed I haven't actually posted this:
Well... outside sheer numbers Star Trek has a higher level of technology, weaponry, and shields.

Warhammer isn't so much "Overpowered" as it is vast and "EXTREME"
As for Imperium, sure, Star Trek proably has better tech (except for weaponry, I am not exactly sure). As for others... I am convinced that Necrons would genocide Star Trek and cackle mechanically whille doing so.

And while I have no actual idea what Rifts, but it sounds like it fucks any suspense of disbelief sideways.

It has more to do that the technology in Rifts has advanced to the point where things have started to sort of break down. A ordinary pistol in Rifts could take down aircraft carriers in 1 maybe 2 shots.
I am pretty sure that no technology is or ever will be possible that allows to take down an aircraft carrier that fits in a pistol-sized package. It can't even be rationally handwaved, really, unless said pistol is just a remote detonator for ridiculous amounts of explosives inside the carrier or something.

Gravity pistol( as the carrier size will make things actually worse for the carrier)
Also that archeotech kind of pistols, which uses subatomic munitions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:40 pm »

I am pretty sure that no technology is or ever will be possible that allows to take down an aircraft carrier that fits in a pistol-sized package. It can't even be rationally handwaved, really, unless said pistol is just a remote detonator for ridiculous amounts of explosives inside the carrier or something.

There are a few fictional examples... Though the ones I am thinking of it isn't that the pistol is amazing so much that it is the ammo.

Such as the pistol that fires basically black hole slugs.

Though... A Anti-matter bullet fired from a pistol would easily be able to destroy the entire aircraft carrier.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:24:43 pm by Neonivek »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5877 on: August 22, 2016, 03:23:10 pm »

Gravity pistol( as the carrier size will make things actually worse for the carrier)
Also that archeotech kind of pistols, which uses subatomic munitions.
Eh, not really. Grav-weaponry in WH40k still has limitations (you cannot, in fact, crush a whole aircraft carrier with one) and Volkite weaponry (if that is what you mean) is somehow similar to Meltas, but longer range, it mostly just makes people burt into flames and melts armour, so one shoot is not really going to do shit.

As for Tau and melee, there are few points.
First of all, Tau are in fact, in general, weaker psychically and have slower reaction speed than humans and Fire Warriors only overcome it by rigurous training and thanks to thousands of years of eugenics. So, Fire Warrior is an equivalent of a human Guardsman, which... isin't really that big achievment for a human. Humans can still be much, much stronger, while Fire Warriors are on their peak and yet they might have slightly worse reflexes.
Their eyesight is generally good but their pupils do not dilate, giving poorer depth perception and it takes them longer time to focus, so they automatically basically can't see shit in close combat. The high-tech super helmets do not really help, because they make all the downsides more down, though they do let them be better at range, which is... not bad, for a Tau.
Tau do not really have melee weaponry. Before Ethereals came they fought each other with melee and proably some kinds of bows, so they now think they're barbaric and a reminder of their violent (Tau were RIDICULOUSLY hostile fucks back then, possibly on par with Orks, even) past. And when they do, they're mostly ritual weapons - the bonding knives the squad leaders have are technically working weapons but using them in close combat with enemy and risking breaking it is... putting the honour of not only the leader in question but the whole squad at stake, which is something unthinkable for them. The Ethereals are obviously extempt because, while they do not really fight at all (the one time they did they all died and we got Farsight Enclaves), Tau are mind-boggling hypocrites who will accept anything they normally disagree with as long as the Ethereals do it.

Rollpgeek Theorm, which states that the Ethereals are exempt not because of their status but because of the artistic grace and skill of honor blade combat.
This.
I cannot stop laughing condescendingly.

Hey, Could someone give me odds that Ethereals are literally Eldar in fancy disguises?
Low. Very low. Lower than the odds that Ethereals are actually Necrontyr in fancy disguises.

Such as the pistol that fires basically black hole slugs.
Good luck packing an effective black-hole containment field into slugs that fit inside a pistol.
And fuck, you want to destroy the aircraft carrier, not reality in the dozen of kilometers around.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5878 on: August 22, 2016, 03:32:48 pm »

Tem outta Tem, post of the year.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5879 on: August 22, 2016, 03:45:26 pm »

But that guy is Rogal Dorn at best (Dorn wielded a sword, didin't he?) and just some Imperial Fists captain at worst, so...
I do, however, know one certain Anatolian political figure which could be God Emperor in disguise...
Spoiler: FOR THE EMPEROR (click to show/hide)
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 824