Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963134 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #6120 on: August 31, 2016, 12:28:42 am »

B: "It doesn't produce babies!"
Yeah, actually... I belive this is all that Imperium has problem with when it comes to homosexuality.
Maybe a few planets dislike this aspect of homosexuality, but the Imperium really doesn't care. It gets billion upon billions of bodies to throw at problems every single day and it's utterly unnecessary to wring out a few more by banning homosexuality.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: August 31, 2016, 01:42:33 am »

B: "It doesn't produce babies!"
Yeah, actually... I belive this is all that Imperium has problem with when it comes to homosexuality.
Maybe a few planets dislike this aspect of homosexuality, but the Imperium really doesn't care. It gets billion upon billions of bodies to throw at problems every single day and it's utterly unnecessary to wring out a few more by banning homosexuality.
Utterly unnecessary? You say that like you are the sort of pansy who thinks flaming chain-swords aren't a practical idea. Yeah, well maybe it isn't, you know, but that's not much consolation when your insides get a radical renovation. Where do you think all those Imperial Guardsmen come from? There have to be a hell of a lot of excess children to fling into the fire and still, you know, not completely collapse economically. I don't think the Imperium is generally opposed to Homosexuality. I just think that on average, it merely tolerates it at best. And when it doesn't tolerate, it's because of my three reasons: No work, no baby-making, or insufficient love for the Emperor.

And as for official Imperial policy... When does something stop being the act of a single faction or local group, and become Imperial Policy? I mean most of the organs of state function like states unto themselves (looking at you, Mechanicus), so if, say, the Adeptus Mechanicus despises Homosexuality does that amount to an act of official imperial policy, or no? What about the High Lords? If the High Lord who is also the Lord General tolerates it, does that mean the highest authority in the Imperium tolerates something? It doesn't seem like it... It's almost remarkable how most people in the Imperium agree on most things, but there really isn't anything other than Emperor Worship that all of them have in common with everyone else. Even their perception of the Emperor differs radically, but all of them agree on that basic point that the Emperor is the building block upon which Humanity stands. No wonder the Imperial Cult got so much traction so quickly. It's an amazing tool.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: August 31, 2016, 02:06:40 am »

I dunno I feel like sexual deviancy gets a bad rap from the anti-slaaneshers.
I mean, Tzeentch's field is knowledge, let's accuse all librarians of being heretics. Khorne is bloodshed - guess all of our soldiers are at risk. Nurgle... Well ok, nurgle is pretty obv.

I think vigilance is the key, and past that you could get away with quite a bit before you're actively trying to get some higher power's attention.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: August 31, 2016, 02:20:59 am »

I mean, Tzeentch's field is knowledge, let's accuse all librarians of being heretics.
Wasn't this the primary reason Magnus fell, and the Horus Heresy happened?

Edit: The Edict of Nikaea:
Spoiler: Emp's Speech (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:31:36 am by My Name is Immaterial »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: August 31, 2016, 02:28:42 am »

I mean, Tzeentch's field is knowledge, let's accuse all librarians of being heretics.
Wasn't this the primary reason Magnus fell, and the Horus Heresy happened?

Ehm, was not primary reason Magnus fell the Leman Russ nuking his libraries, because Horus sent Leman Russ
,, Order of the emperor "  to destroy Magnus and his legion?
Magnus was loyal to the point, that he even ordered his legion not to resist and just die, if the emperor wants so.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: August 31, 2016, 02:29:35 am »

Magnus didn't fall until Ahriman bitch-slapped him out of his suicide-by-cop.

The Thousand Sons got declared tratoris accidentally, and from there on the only safe place was the eye.

Edit: Ninjad.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: August 31, 2016, 08:54:51 am »

Plus we're all aware that as a man the emprah was rather flawed.

"Let no legion have a librarius" seems like it's doomed to fail.
'Specially with wyrdvanes making a rise in M41.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: August 31, 2016, 09:07:59 am »

It was a reasonable decision at the time considering Tzeentch was actively interacting with one of the Legions.

Personally I wonder if the Emperor had noticed what Magnus had, that most Legions were subconsciously invoking numbers of sorcerous significance, but unlike Magnus knew that it was a sign of the gods influence but didn't want to address it overtly for fear of driving his sons to chaos accidently.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6129 on: August 31, 2016, 10:09:11 am »

baby-making

I really doubt it's official Imperial policy that citizens must bang for the Emprah and make babbies
It is in basically any world that produces Imperial Guard regiment (Cadia, for instance), and considering that the High Lords ran the math and discovered that there is barely enough humans (including babbys and wiminz) to fight off Tyranids (where they got the numbers I have no clue, but eh) so even if it's not Imperial-wide yet, it might be very, very soon.
The main currency of Imperium is manpower, after all.

not-really-ever-explained-straight Marines (but it proably differs from Chapter to Chapter)
I think that they get the sex bit of their brains chemically lobotomized.
Never really truly explained due to:
It's generally in line with 40k's policy of "let's not talk about sex baby."
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: August 31, 2016, 11:49:38 am »

Plus we're all aware that as a man the emprah was blessed, generous, noblehearted, totally the best father to his children, holy, awesome, absolutely glorious in melee, powerful, wise leader, supreme strategical, scientific and tactical genius. And is the only benevolent and true deity in the universe.
And then dispite being dissapointed by our sins and imperfection, he,  in his divine generousity ascended to the golden throne to watch over us and protect.

Fixed it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: August 31, 2016, 11:55:03 am »

It was a reasonable decision at the time considering Tzeentch was actively interacting with one of the Legions.

That's crap, honestly, when you consider who the Emperor is, what he's capable of, what he knows. This super being thought a simple edict was going to overturn the reality of the universe? Could he have honestly believed simple man power and technology would be enough to counteract the warp? He simply couldn't have. Could technology alone stop the Emperor or lay him low? No. It took the power of the warp.

It was said several times that he didn't want to pass the Edict, he did it because Leman Russ would not shut the fuck up about it, and Magnus did have censure coming. But it's been implied a lot that his hand was forced on the Edict of Nikea, not that he thought it was a bulletproof plan. Even that being said, the Edict of Nikea annoys me. It's a stupid plot point that serves one purpose (getting the Thousands Sons in trouble) before virtually all of the Legions disregard it and the Edict (which I think the High Lords or Malcador had to overturn by decree after the Heresy since it was still officially on the books.)

Basically, for a nearly all powerful god-like being with foresight and the warp at his finger tips, the Edict makes no sense. Unless you go in for the "Oh he saw the future and realized he had to do this stupid, mostly pointless thing." Which, I wouldn't blame you if you do, since him dying is also essentially one of those things.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: August 31, 2016, 11:58:26 am »

@SprinkledChariot. If you're going to bastardise my words, the least you can do is spell correctly.

But no. No perfect leader ever expects to get the most out of his soldiers whilst simultaneously keeping them ignorant.
You want to think the Emperor is perfect, go look at the origin stories for Angron and Lorgar.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: August 31, 2016, 12:27:54 pm »

Well that's another beef. Why does the Emperor create a person like Cruze or Lorgar? Angron might have been ok had he not landed where he did. But Lorgar and Cruze were basically preprogrammed to be fuck ups.

And the only answer I have is: plot. These characters were created a long time ago when we knew the Emperor a lot less than we do today. (i.e., before he ever had a speaking part.) As GWS has built up the Emperor over the years, these little bits of cool but honestly nonsensical lore never adapted. It gets handwaved with "he has a plan" like he knew all along the universe was going to end up in the shithole of the 41st Millennium and it was the best he could manage. (Lord knows plenty of other characters in the setting also knew exactly what the future was going to look like, 10,000 years before it happened.) Truth is, GWS wrote some awesome wicked bad guys then had to work backwards on detailing why they actually exist.

It's why I have increasingly mixed emotions about the entire HH. It's trying to justify stuff that cannot honestly be justified when stacked up against how they've built up the Emperor. I mean, dude fucking interacts with the adult Primarchs while they're traveling back through the warp and time to see themselves in their incubation chambers. And this is the guy that thought the Edict of Nikea was feasible?

Horus turning, I can buy. Angron getting dealt a shitty hand in life, I can believe. Perturabo being genetically inclined toward being bitter, I can accept.

But Lorgar embodying the opposite of what the Great Crusade was about though, and Cruze basically being a psychopath because it's in his genes, and the Edict of Nikea, I have a problem with those. Because unless you're drowning in an ocean of Imperial Koolaid, it just doesn't make any fucking sense.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:36:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: August 31, 2016, 12:36:40 pm »

Newcrons I'm okay with, but I will always be a man of the oldperor.

No weird chaos-secret-stealing. No weird six-shamans-in-one. No omniscience.

Just a normal übermensch apex human trying to do what's right and failing sometimes.
Up until he gets put on life support and has psykers fed to him to sustain the big Terran lighthouse.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 824