Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964440 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K thread: from the Warp it cameth forth: Plot Advancement.
« Reply #8550 on: March 22, 2017, 06:41:55 pm »

A MOBA where you have to micromanage the creeps, what an amazing innovation. :P
We've come full circle.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8551 on: March 22, 2017, 06:44:34 pm »

A MOBA where you have to micromanage the creeps, what an amazing innovation. :P
We've come full circle.

Oddly enough in early MOBAs manipulating and creating new creeps was part of the gameplay.

It stopped around the time they made heroes so strong that creeps stopped mattering.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8552 on: March 22, 2017, 06:50:08 pm »

That is not actually odd at all.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8553 on: March 22, 2017, 07:01:23 pm »

Yeah. AoS was a starcraft map, and DotA 1 a warcraft 3 one. They were all about making units with a hero that was good but not too strong. Then those maps increased how relevant the hero was compared to the units, and now we have this. Soon, we'll have a game where you control the creeps/minions, while AI heroes do their shit.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8554 on: March 22, 2017, 07:05:59 pm »

That could be entertaining, someone should make a prototype.
Sorta like fighting an urban war while Kaiju are wrestling in the same city. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8555 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »

Im telling you guys.  A game about being a warlord on terra with BigE roaming around.

Or, similarly, an Old Knight Civ living during the Great Crusade.

A 4x game of some kind.  Its all there:
- diplomacy
- deception
- combat
-resources
-chaos

and you can make customized factions, teching out like a nerd or getting your own weaker versions of SMs like some of the civs did.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:15 pm »

Im telling you guys.  A game about being a warlord on terra with BigE roaming around.

Or, similarly, an Old Knight Civ living during the Great Crusade.

A 4x game of some kind.  Its all there:
- diplomacy
- deception
- combat
-resources
-chaos

and you can make customized factions, teching out like a nerd or getting your own weaker versions of SMs like some of the civs did.

How do you win though? Assuming Emps is redonkulous in his army-leading, empire-destroying, terror-inspriring, armor-sundering, mind-melting, perfect-in-almost-every-way usual self.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: March 22, 2017, 07:31:32 pm »

Losing is fun.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: March 22, 2017, 07:36:15 pm »

How did the mechanicum of mars survive as an entity?  A -seperate- entity, no less, that was technically an ally of the emperor rather than subservient.

The crusade on is harder.  I mean some of the legions didnt give more than half a hoot what you were doing if they could find an excuse to land and take some heads with them.

But essentially, you start the game pre-emps.  Play a bit.  You define your faction a little before the game to simulate history, then play as a faction on terra/old night.  Then, midgame or w.e. E shows up, or distant planets start to fall under the imperial banner.  Then, depending on your nation you can make allies  with the imperium or fight them.  The empire can hangout for a bit, and AI can react to your choices pre and post Emps.

And that says nothing of internal politics, which can be rife with God-worship, proto-heresy, or even Endgame Emperor worshipers.  The bringing of your nation into the fold does not have to be the end of the game, since your internal structure changes and politics.  And even then there can be threats from other nearby planets.

I mean, the space marines werent everywhere at once, and E took his damn time conquering the planet.  And the tithe paid by a planet can be hard to come up with.

The game's end is very 40k.  because you dont 'win' as you would imagine a 4x game.

P:

Fighting against emps was not impossible.  And he wasnt a godhead until later.  There are lore examples of very powerful counters or independently devised variants of the SMs.

And if you disregard the whole 'canon Emps is unstoppable and divine and fate' bitty, theres a lot of appeal in an endgame horde of super-soldiers that you have to defeat.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:38:19 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: March 22, 2017, 07:48:26 pm »

It'd be a fun, flavorful little part of the tech tree as he upgrades away from Proto-Astartes to the Thunderwarriors to the true Astartes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:17 pm »

Make chapter master a real thing, and throw dawn of war in a sad, tiny grave full of metal bawkses. There, new succesful franchise ahoy.

Seriously though, a grand strategy 40k game using the aesthetics and the setting would be p good. Hell, give us a turn based game in which we can ACTUALY CUSTOMIZE our units (paint, parts, look, equipment, etc) and that would make me pretty happy.

Here's hoping the necromunda game won't follow the path of mordheim into the land of boring "LEL COMPETITIVE GAEMING GUYS" warhammer titles.
I know I often mention Mordheim in regards to this, but I'm still salty about how they managed to fuck up such a great concept just by being worried about faction balance for multiplayer and fucking up the game with the most boring and inane set of abilities possible, plus the whole singleplayer AI debacle, all for the sake of somehow attaining a competitive scene, and then failing massively at that too.

I can't believe that cyanide's blood bowl is the only series I can cite that realized that games such as these were never meant to have completely balanced skills and factions.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:05:53 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:28 pm »

Chapter Master becoming a real licenced game would be such a dream come true.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: March 22, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »

Chapter Master becoming a real licenced game would be such a dream come true.

Yes.

Also DoW III is gonna give me a heart attack just so I can roll in my grave. EDIT: That's how bad it is.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8563 on: March 22, 2017, 08:12:23 pm »

With the FFG split GW has returned to having fucked up literally everything good they managed to create, so don't hold your breath. They occupy this weird space where they're both inflexible to the extreme and bumble aimlessly into horrible changes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: March 22, 2017, 09:12:36 pm »

Bumbling idiots with the proverbial golden goose in their hands. What they do? Omelets with the eegs and stuffed goose for dinner. Bunch of morons
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 569 570 [571] 572 573 ... 824