Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964305 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #9180 on: September 21, 2017, 02:38:28 am »

I just said I wasn't going to derail the thread into an extensive discussion of human psychology, so drop it or open a thread for that purpose, as the fundamental problems with 40k have nothing to do with its lore.  The argument that "It has literally happened in human history" has no bearing on the subject either, and I don't care enough to start a thread on the matter myself.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:41:35 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9181 on: September 21, 2017, 02:52:26 am »

I just said I wasn't going to derail the thread into an extensive discussion of human psychology, so drop it or open a thread for that purpose, as the fundamental problems with 40k have nothing to do with its lore.  The argument that "It has literally happened in human history" has no bearing on the subject either, and I don't care enough to start a thread on the matter myself.
If you do not wish to discuss a matter relevant to the thread, then I don't care enough about what you say to create a thread about it either, and mantain my claim that I am right unless proven otherwise.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9182 on: September 21, 2017, 05:23:03 am »

> tau encounter chaos cult
> Ugh, can we look at your religious rituals?
> Yeah, sure
> Earth caste scientists calmly watch as cult does its shenengians
> Suddenly big hole in reality and word bearers come in
> *unholy bolter fire intensifies*

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9183 on: September 21, 2017, 06:35:12 am »

tau doing stupid shit
At this point I'm convinced, that upon their first contact with Tyranids, Tau tried to jet some diplomats into the Hive Fleet.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9184 on: September 21, 2017, 06:41:36 am »

I know they tried to assimilate genestealers.
Their naivety is frankly sometimes appealing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9185 on: September 21, 2017, 09:27:51 am »

No, the argument being presented is that the humans of the 40k fictional universe, by virtue of possessing any form of active psionic ability (or latent for that matter) are not really anything like the humans of reality
I am not going to argue that everyone posses inactive psychic ability, and active one much less so, but in the context we are discussing here, which is Warhammer 40k universe, humans possess innate inactive psychic ability, as do nearly all living things, with some of them possesing active psychic abilities, which means that if, theoretically, Warhammer 40k were to be actually real, you wouldn't really differ from the regular people, which is contrary to this assumption:
You... what? Real, modern-day humans aren't psychic. If you existed in WHAOK-verse, the imperials would hate you for being a blank, because you have meat brains rather than soul. So yes, WHAOK humans are very different from real humans.
Unless you were actually a blank, but in that case it'd probably be evident by now because you'd have to have no friends, your family would hate you and it was horrible in general, although you could just be an asshole and achieve the same effect.
Wut? Unless you think that real humans really do in fact have latent warp powers, then everyone on real earth is a blank. People don't irrationally hate you because they are also blanks like everyone else. Normal real human =/= normal 40k human. You wouldn't magically change from one to the other if you were transported there. There are no warp souls in this universe, so if you went to 40k land, you would be a person without a soul and a bunch of creepy hive mind "humans" would hate you for not being part of the hive.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9186 on: September 21, 2017, 09:35:18 am »

Both hypothesis fit the data. We could all be blanks, or we could all/nearly all be weak psykers as per wh40k lore. There aren't enough of us on Earth to expect noticeably anomalous psykers, yet.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9187 on: September 21, 2017, 10:11:10 am »

Wut? Unless you think that real humans really do in fact have latent warp powers, then everyone on real earth is a blank. People don't irrationally hate you because they are also blanks like everyone else. Normal real human =/= normal 40k human. You wouldn't magically change from one to the other if you were transported there. There are no warp souls in this universe, so if you went to 40k land, you would be a person without a soul and a bunch of creepy hive mind "humans" would hate you for not being part of the hive.
No, simply because you do not need to be a blank to not have psychic power. Regular humans in Wh40k do not have any real resemblance of psychic power, they just are regular folks, but they have the basic soul and connection to the warp that is generated by being simply a living being, that literally doesn't manifest in any way under most circumstances. It's the blanks AND psykers that are different from regular humans. If you somehow went into 40k land, then automatically WH40k history IS real, which means that you do have soul and a connection to warp, UNLESS you happen to be a blank anyway. I am not saying that current humans are actually WH40k humans, but if you assume that 40k is real, then, unless some freak alternate universe where everyone on Earth is blank is involved, you do have a soul, you have connection to warp and wouldn't be anything out of ordinary for hivers, although you'd probably be hated anyway because you'd probably be dressed in exotic way, and in general looked too good, which must mean you're a noble scum that got lost in the hive, and they would promptly murder you for your shoes.
Also, you're mistaking humans for Tau, we do not have a hive mind. :V

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9188 on: September 21, 2017, 12:54:41 pm »

you'd probably be dressed in exotic way, and in general looked too good, which must mean you're a noble scum
In the 41th milenium there's only contrived pickup lines.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9189 on: September 21, 2017, 01:32:25 pm »

umm yea any xenophobic culture would murderhobo you if you zipzopped into their home dressed as you are now and speaking a foreign language.

wonder how likely it would be that you lived long enough that they understood you.  or believed you.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9190 on: September 21, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »

Well right now I'm dressed in such a way that I might just pass as a guardsmen recruit or a factory worker or something, down to security boots and all. The language would be telling nevertheless.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9191 on: September 21, 2017, 05:10:50 pm »

I should note that, going by my psyker distribution numbers, even with an M42 level of baseline psi-power there aren't enough humans on Earth for the average to have produced even one explicitly powerful psyker. At best we'd have a few of the unnaturally lucky types, who are probably Elon Musk and that guy who made several hundred billion on bitcoin and is hiding out on an island somewhere.
Or a particular ascii dorf simulation maker

umm yea any xenophobic culture would murderhobo you if you zipzopped into their home dressed as you are now and speaking a foreign language.
wonder how likely it would be that you lived long enough that they understood you.  or believed you.
Eh, you can't take it for granted. Some xenophobic cultures valued really foreign people, but killed on sight those that were somewhat familiar but recognizably not. Reason being that the extra foreign foreigner is not a threat, while the latter potentially is, by virtue of geographic separation and closeness

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9192 on: September 21, 2017, 05:12:56 pm »

Assuming, that, what people speak in books is low gothic, it is more or less english with ocassional latin thing and mentioning the emperor every 10 sentences.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9193 on: September 21, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »

Assuming, that, what people speak in books is low gothic, it is more or less english with ocassional latin thing and mentioning the emperor every 10 sentences.

Canon is that english is extinct, the only people in 40k who still speak it are Orks who kept a few words from early encounters with mankind in the Dark Age. Kommando is pronounced as written and is noted as coming from an archaic human language, but no humans seems to  realise it refers specifically to spec ops.

Gothic of all kinds is meant to be a language unrelated to modern ones in any meaningful way, it just gets rendered as english and psuedo latin because the people who made it spoke english. Because of the themes involved in the Imperium Low Gothic is to High Gothic what German/French/English/Italian and so on are to Latin.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9194 on: September 21, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »

and mentioning the emperor 10 times every sentence.
Fixed for you.
Pages: 1 ... 611 612 [613] 614 615 ... 824