Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 419878 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1440 on: March 22, 2020, 07:22:04 am »

I dunno about you folks, but my itinerary has been "Home->Work" and "Work->Home", and nowhere else.

I'm such an antisocial bastard though that this is NOT a change to my normal routine in the slightest, so I am basically unimpacted except for the occasional trip to the store every 2 weeks for supplies.

How can people just *NOT* understand that this is some serious shit, and to JUST STAY THE FUCK HOME?  I only go to work because I WORK in HEALTHCARE, and that is not something you can shelve.

Seriously-- This failure to buckle down and do the right thing (collectively) is why climate change is a thing, why poverty is a thing, and clearly-- why this pandemic killing thousands daily IS A FUCKING THING.

Seriously-- Your desire to drink some booze is just not worth it. STAY HOME.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: March 22, 2020, 07:26:35 am »

Welp, Croatia is in for a fun time, had a nasty series of quakes in Zagreb this morning, lots of older buildings are fairly damaged, some injured, atleast one dead, but most importantly, a ton of people have been evacuated without a place to go really, the biggest of which was the entirety of the maternity ward with like a dozen newborns and their mothers. So lots of people out and about and a diminished healthcare infrastructure at a point where things started going downhill already.

News says the magnitude is 5.3, which is not small. Bad time to have an earthquake.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: March 22, 2020, 07:33:50 am »

This is an exceptional situation. It's not only bar crowding. Its every single mistake that turns into a chain of mistakes.
We need a complete lockdown. And by "we" I mesn everyone
Everyone except medical staff, farmers, truck drivers, people making medical supplies, people refining fuel, firefighters, emergency services, people keeping power and water and waste management going, keeping the internet and telecommunications going, keeping the roads and bridges from collapsing....

It's like the worst possible ethics test:  "At all costs" is a dangerous attitude.  If you put 10 million people out of jobs for a decade to keep 1 million people alive - is that worth it?  I now know why only the type of people who get in national leadership get there - most people can't make such decisions without giving themselves a stroke.

ASIDE:  Utah in the US had a 5.x earthquake this week too.  Sadly, lots more fuel for the "it's the signs of the apocalypse" types, despite the fact that earthquakes happen pretty much all the time.  Add in the locusts in Africa... ::)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 22, 2020, 07:39:06 am »

This is an exceptional situation. It's not only bar crowding. Its every single mistake that turns into a chain of mistakes.
Everyone except medical staff, farmers, truck drivers, people making medical supplies, people refining fuel, firefighters, emergency services, people keeping power and water and waste management going, keeping the internet and telecommunications going, keeping the roads and bridges from collapsing....

It's like the worst possible ethics test:  "At all costs" is a dangerous attitude.  If you put 10 million people out of jobs for a decade to keep 1 million people alive - is that worth it?  I now know why only the type of people who get in national leadership get there - most people can't make such decisions without giving themselves a stroke.

ASIDE:  Utah in the US had a 5.x earthquake this week too.  Sadly, lots more fuel for the "it's the signs of the apocalypse" types, despite the fact that earthquakes happen pretty much all the time.  Add in the locusts in Africa... ::)
get real. it wont be one million people if left unchecked. It will be far more. All the covid deaths plus all the other deaths for other stuff that could normally get treated and isnt because of covid. In the US, the way it's going? It could be several millions dead.

And by the way those jobs are gone either way. EITHER. WAY. You can't have a small scale genocide withour economic repercussions.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: March 22, 2020, 07:47:53 am »

But his point still stands that putting *everyone* in lockdown is just not possible.
We still need healthcare workers, policemen, firemen, undertakers, road maintnance, truck drivers, gas station operators, farmers, illegal immigrants to harvest the crops, garbage collectors, people manning the cash registers in supermarkets, people working in daycare for children of those parents who work in any of the abovementioned essential jobs...
You can't keep society running if you keep 100% of people in lockdown. About 25% of our workers work in essential jobs and will keep spreading the virus, if you like it or not.
And about 100% of people will still need to shop to get food on the table. And not everyone has the means to shop only once every 2 weeks. Not everyone owns a car.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:51:35 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 22, 2020, 07:54:07 am »

get real. it wont be one million people if left unchecked. It will be far more. All the covid deaths plus all the other deaths for other stuff that could normally get treated and isnt because of covid. In the US, the way it's going? It could be several millions dead.

And by the way those jobs are gone either way. EITHER. WAY. You can't have a small scale genocide withour economic repercussions.
I'd still pose the question if it was 100 million jobs given up for 10 million deaths, or even 10 million jobs for 10 million deaths, or even 1 million jobs for 10 million deaths.

Also the question isn't "would we have economic disruption without mitigations due to virus deaths" - the question is "how much more disruption did we inflict on ourselves because of the lockdowns" - and the answer is "a lot, but we'll never really know exactly".

There is no such thing as a free lunch - you can't save all the people for free, and you can't let all the people die of disease for free.  I fully appreciate that.

The problem I have is the unequivocal declaration that sacrificing jobs for lives is always the better choice, or the unequivocal statement that keeping jobs is the better choice.

EDIT: And yes, what martinuzz said. And I also clarified that I don't like unequivocal statements on either extreme.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:58:33 am by McTraveller »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: March 22, 2020, 08:43:11 am »

But his point still stands that putting *everyone* in lockdown is just not possible.
We still need healthcare workers, policemen, firemen, undertakers, road maintnance, truck drivers, gas station operators, farmers, illegal immigrants to harvest the crops, garbage collectors, people manning the cash registers in supermarkets, people working in daycare for children of those parents who work in any of the abovementioned essential jobs...
You can't keep society running if you keep 100% of people in lockdown. About 25% of our workers work in essential jobs and will keep spreading the virus, if you like it or not.
And about 100% of people will still need to shop to get food on the table. And not everyone has the means to shop only once every 2 weeks. Not everyone owns a car.
Well  yes, full lockdown means "everyone not in essential jobs". I thought that much was obvious.

Before you say it's impossible consider that we know it has been done, that it works, and that the latter you do it the worse it is.

Italy already came out and said that their former partial lockdown wasnt working snd they'd do that. Spain's lockdown IS tighter than Italy's... but I suspect we'll do the same at some point next week.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 22, 2020, 10:28:20 am »

Oh right... As if the Norwegian population hasn't already been handling things poorly (the restaurant pictured has decided that "It's now the right time to close" after those pictures got out and the comment section lit up, so... There's that, at least?), there's a curious and somewhat unexpected development that's been popping up recently...

Covid has been seriously taxing the sewage network.

How, you ask? Is this the super-diarrhea we've suspected all along, the true reason for the TP hoarding? No no, it doesn't have any symptoms like that. No, this is the result of people using vastly larger quantities of things like sanitary wipes, tissues, paper towels, q-tips, cotton balls etc.... And then flushing it all down the toilet.

The rapid increase of items that should not be flushed getting flushed has been clogging pipes and gumming up processing machinery all up and down the line. Because that's really the kind of problem we want to be having now.

This is even worse than when the medical response network said "Do not leave for your remote wilderness cabins, if there's a medical emergency we will not be able to come get you", and so the people went to their remote wilderness cabins for a lovely retreat since they had so much time off now and then they got sick and went "We're sick! Come get us!".

Fucking mongs.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: March 22, 2020, 11:04:16 am »

A few governments:
"Ok this might be nothing but be prepared."
"Ok, maybe being prepared isn't enough, be careful."
"Ok, when we said be careful we mean avoid crowds."
"Ok, please stop tongue-kissing strangers and sneezing in each other's mouths."
"Ok, since you are assholes we're gonna have to lock everything down."
"Ok, seriously, that means stop dicking around like you're not at risk, YOU'RE PUTTING EVERYONE AT RISK!"
"Ok, we understand being asked to avoid being social is hard for social creatures but we're all going to fucking die, knock it off!"

Me:
*laughs in aspergers but really crying slash horrified*

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 22, 2020, 12:04:37 pm »

Almost all retail liquor in the US is limited to about 80 proof - vodka included - so it's unclear why only that variant was wiped out.  I prefer brandy myself.

Have you considered that people are stupid as fuck?

Same reason we're keeping people healthy here by preventing them from going into the grocery store as a group. No more than 10 people, including employees, are allowed in the building at once. So everyone is spending hours waiting in close proximity to each other in the rain for their turn to go shop. I guess it *is* an efficient way to make sure to infect as many shoppers at once as possible.

Is there any factual basis to the cremation thing. As far as I can tell it's related to a website run by Steven Bannon, and a wealthy Chinese ex-pat - so Breitbart-related and from a Chinese guy who's not even in China but has a bone with the Chinese government.

To my knowledge, there has never been a factual basis to anything Lidku has said. Unless you are willing to ignore most of the sentence, so it just says "China is."

So Trump was already warned by the intelligence agencies that the virus would become pandemic back in january, and again in february, but he disregarded that and called it a hoax.

When are you guys going to get rid of this dangerously insane president?  I'd start a new impeachment, for he has endangered the life of many US citizens.

I dunno about you folks, but my itinerary has been "Home->Work" and "Work->Home", and nowhere else.

We finally got permission to work from home, after a week trying to figure out how to get the programs to work.

Seriously-- Your desire to drink some booze is just not worth it. STAY HOME.

Come (don't) to the hot new drinking spot: Alone at Home, In the Dark, Like the gods Intended.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:15:27 pm by Iduno »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 22, 2020, 12:42:54 pm »

Starting this evening, people in Germany are no longer allowed to come together with more than 2 people (with an exception for households).
The 1.5m distance advice is also no longer an advice, but it's obligatory. Police will be deployed to enforce the new rules.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:52:05 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 22, 2020, 12:46:49 pm »

Germany will survive this crisis handily, as there is nothing they love more than obnoxiously following rules.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 22, 2020, 01:00:00 pm »

So far our problem has been that the old people are the ones who ignore the voluntary lockdown.
When the nearby Weinfest was cancelled literally hundreds of old people still went there, going "well, they've closed the booze stalls but I can just bring my own booze".

Pisses off the you folk who stopped partying and then see 20+ seniors crowded into a cafe.
Hopefully this will finally put a stop to oldsters flaunting the rules.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:02:52 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: March 22, 2020, 01:06:20 pm »

We are now on an active countdown to the first AfD boomer publishing an article about how they survived the DDR and won't let their liberty be taken away now for a little flu.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: March 22, 2020, 01:10:31 pm »

Merkel has just been placed in quarantine, after it was discovered that a doctor who adminstered her vaccin (against streptococcus pneumoniae) last friday, is infected with Covid-19.

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 459