Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 419875 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1545 on: March 24, 2020, 05:00:02 am »

Ohio and Texas cancel abortion rights.
They deem abortion to be an unnescessary strain on the taxed healthcare system.

Oh righto  ::) and having a baby isn't any strain on the health system at all, luckily.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 24, 2020, 05:04:36 am »

Oh righto  ::) and having a baby isn't any strain on the health system at all, luckily.
To be fair that would happen a good deal later.... but yeah I'm dubious about their motivations. Though I see a point in cancelling as many interventions as possible.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 24, 2020, 05:08:32 am »

To be fair that would happen a good deal later.... but yeah I'm dubious about their motivations. Though I see a point in cancelling as many interventions as possible.
On that topic, I think we can expect a worldwide baby boom in about 8-9 months, with everyone locked in their homes and doctors too busy to prescribe the pill.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 24, 2020, 05:11:17 am »

On that topic, I think we can expect a worldwide baby boom in about 8-9 months, with everyone locked in their homes and doctors too busy to prescribe the pill.
Also a surge of divorces right after the quarantine, I suspect...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 24, 2020, 05:22:24 am »

It is not sensible to get pregnant during epidemic. Some medicine cannot be used as they interfere RNA and cause deformity. Low blood oxygen level can occur even on healthy pregnant women. Cancelling abortion is not a good idea imo.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: March 24, 2020, 05:28:13 am »

Nor is sending a doctor away for 6 months.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 24, 2020, 05:39:45 am »

I live in Australia.

I work in healthcare, as a community Pharmacist.

It looks like the virus has finally reached my town.

I have a friend who's in the morgue at the local hospital. We're seeing our first deaths now.

They should be announcing it officially in a few days to prevent panic and give us time to prepare.

I'm doing what I can to protect my team. It's hard when access to basic medical supplies are so low now.

I've been trying to take the riskiest jobs personally where I can, like vaccinations. No sense spreading risk across my other staff if I can help it.

I hope my wife and kids will be okay.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 24, 2020, 05:46:02 am »

I live in Australia.

I work in healthcare, as a community Pharmacist.

It looks like the virus has finally reached my town.

I have a friend who's in the morgue at the local hospital. We're seeing our first deaths now.

They should be announcing it officially in a few days to prevent panic and give us time to prepare.

I'm doing what I can to protect my team. It's hard when access to basic medical supplies are so low now.

I've been trying to take the riskiest jobs personally where I can, like vaccinations. No sense spreading risk across my other staff if I can help it.

I hope my wife and kids will be okay.
I'm sorry

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 24, 2020, 06:08:34 am »

The real number is probably lower.... there's a lot of silent infection.  The problem is that everyone gets infected at once and the system collapses. And that complicates things a lot, for what is covid and what isn't covid.

I think that's the conundrum. Any given rando has pretty good odds with covid (maybe even pretty good odds of never even learning he had it). But socially it's utterly destructive.

By extension it can only be fought if everyone is careful. If anyone is doing his own thing... the strenght of quarantines vs covid19 weakens

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 24, 2020, 06:16:37 am »

So Trump's ordering more international border close-downs, aimed at asylum seekers, while at the same time, talking about having businesses inside the USA to stay open, against the best expert advice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/world/americas/coronavirus-mexico-border-migrants.html

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-promises-us-will-open-business-soon-this-country-wasnt-built-shut-down-1493854
Trump's administration has been touting a 15-day program to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, telling reporters that the White House would look at easing some restrictions at the end of the 15-day timeframe.

A 15 day plan? Woo, color me impressed. The whole thing's going to blow over in 15 days, you heard it here!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:23:06 am by Reelya »

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 24, 2020, 06:27:25 am »

I enjoyed this one and a half hour discussion of COVID-19 by Joe Rogan and Professor Michael Osterholm. Great in depth discussion of how we're going to have to live and die with this virus until we achieve critical mass with herd immunity.

Personally, I'm hoping for silent symptoms. If I have mild symptoms, I have an ethical obligation to self-isolate. If I don't, at least I can still keep working.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 24, 2020, 07:00:17 am »

If you don't have visible symptoms but still think you may be infected aren't you doubly obligated to isolate yourself?

Nobody envies the aysmptomatic carriers for being able to Johnny Applepox all over the place.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 24, 2020, 07:19:56 am »

How can you think you're infected if you have no symptoms?
Basically what you are saying is, everybody stay home, including doctors, supermarket workers etcetera, because you just *might* have corona even though you feel fine.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 24, 2020, 07:26:26 am »

It has a 5-day incubation during which it is infectious, so you could have it and not know it, putting everyone you come into contact with at risk.

People should be staying at home if they can.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 459