Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 419876 times)

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1560 on: March 24, 2020, 07:37:42 am »

Polish government announces plan to introduce new limitations. Will be introduced today.

In public transport one may no longer stand, only sitting in half of seats is allowed (to limit number of people traveling together).

Going outside in groups larger than 2 will be outlawed (families excluded).

Going outside without good reason - banned (going with dog, going for a walk, going to family member to help, shopping will remain OK. So it is a very mild restriction).

Claims that large scale testing will finally start.

The plan is to switch to South Korea situation, will schools and work open but with COVID reduced using other less harmful methods.

Number of people allowed to take part in funerals, religious ceremonies reduced to 5 + personnel like priest/gravedigger. Reduction from 50.

Up to 5000 PLN (1200 $) for violating rules (more than 2 months of a minimum wage).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:49:02 am by mko »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 24, 2020, 07:58:29 am »

To be fair that would happen a good deal later.... but yeah I'm dubious about their motivations. Though I see a point in cancelling as many interventions as possible.
On that topic, I think we can expect a worldwide baby boom in about 8-9 months, with everyone locked in their homes and doctors too busy to prescribe the pill.
Also a surge of divorces right after the quarantine, I suspect...

And
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 24, 2020, 08:24:17 am »

Yeah, over here pedadgogues and psychiatrists are already worried for those kids who used to be able to escape home abuse by going to school, sports and hobby clubs.
They now have to suffer the abuse all day every day.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: March 24, 2020, 08:29:48 am »

Which may make it more noticeable for bored neighbours who go on to report it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:30 am »

Paranoid asshole stepdad is now making everyone at home take temperature. Given that I've been stuck inside for almost a week now, everyone else even longer, and nobody has had any reasonable possible contact with possible infected for even longer than that, I think this is pretty unreasonable. That said, two different thermometers have also given me a surprisingly low body temperature: 97.6°F for one* and 98.2°F for the other.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 24, 2020, 08:50:48 am »

Where you taking the temperature, bud? A degree lower isn't unusual in armpits or the roof of the mouth.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 24, 2020, 09:45:50 am »

Or a degree higher in the anus!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 24, 2020, 10:06:22 am »

Average body temperature has been dropping over time, there were some headlines on this recently but I'm lazy so won't look them up.

My "normal" temps always read 97.6-97.9 when taken with a forehead IR thermometer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 24, 2020, 10:13:41 am »

Right now the only thing that worries me is groceries. Isolation? No problem. Services shutdown? I can deal. No fast food/restaurant food/delivery? I'll manage.

But if I can't get anything resembling what I'm used to at the grocery store and am just grabbing random consumables.....le panic.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 24, 2020, 10:26:33 am »

Where you taking the temperature, bud? A degree lower isn't unusual in armpits or the roof of the mouth.

First one was oral, second was ear. I put the oral one under the tongue, but it's an awkwardly flexible probe so I'm not sure I'm putting it in the correct part of my under-tongue.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 24, 2020, 11:04:42 am »

You know, i had a depressing thought: the reason we don't have governments who are on top of this sort of thing, is because if we did, then these sorts of crises would never get a foothold, and then that government would get absolutely pilloried in the next election by people who are freaking out about the steps the government needed to take to avoid the problem, going "look how much they reacted, and it was only the flu!"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 24, 2020, 11:11:33 am »

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Democracy isn't an ideal method for distributing and exercising power, despite our rose-tinted impression of it.

Not that any other system is better, mind. Even an absolutist system run by me would be endangered... by me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 24, 2020, 11:44:04 am »

Oh shit, I just chucked on ABC News 24 (Australian ABC) and there's a bit on Cossacks in Russia. The Cossacks have formed anti-coronavirus vigilante forces who are marching around in the streets in some cities, mostly without masks mind you, putting on a show of holy force to show that virus what's what. They're a sort of hardline pro-Putin conservative Christian militia, and their weapons against coronavirus include plentiful supplies of holy water and prayer, and they're saying there won't be an epidemic because Russians be Tough compared to the lowly asiatic immigrants*, and they're God's chosen people more or less.

* They may have a point here. Russians don't live long enough to get into the danger-zone for coronavirus unlike long-lived Asians.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:50:13 am by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 24, 2020, 12:00:04 pm »

For that same reason African poor countries might get less severe outbreaks fatality rates, because less people there reach an age that is at high risk.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:03:30 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 24, 2020, 12:02:28 pm »

Oh shit, I just chucked on ABC News 24 (Australian ABC) and there's a bit on Cossacks in Russia. The Cossacks have formed anti-coronavirus vigilante forces who are marching around in the streets in some cities, mostly without masks mind you, putting on a show of holy force to show that virus what's what. They're a sort of hardline pro-Putin conservative Christian militia, and their weapons against coronavirus include plentiful supplies of holy water and prayer, and they're saying there won't be an epidemic because Russians be Tough compared to the lowly asiatic immigrants*, and they're God's chosen people more or less.

* They may have a point here. Russians don't live long enough to get into the danger-zone for coronavirus unlike long-lived Asians.

Getting down right medieval. When can we expect the flagellants?
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 459