Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 420631 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1860 on: March 30, 2020, 11:29:05 am »

I've used interferon in the past. People tolerates it better than I expected tbh. Most complained only of a slightly runny nose.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: March 30, 2020, 11:29:37 am »

Ah sad, my previous comment was not correct. Late additions to yesterday's (March 29) total (19913) puts the US with slightly more new cases than for March 28 (19452).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: March 30, 2020, 02:42:20 pm »

Grieve early, grieve often, and when you see a republican or other hate group calling it a hoax and laughing about practicing social distancing... why argue?

Trump had a press conference with leaders of various corporations about what they were doing and kept surprising them by shaking their hands, after they had all been touching the same podium... this seems like a good thing, right?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: March 30, 2020, 03:30:31 pm »

There are some indications that plasma donated by COVID-19 survivors may help those that are currently infected fight off the virus.  The US Food and Drug Administration is now allowing the use of plasma to treat very ill COVID-19 patients.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: March 30, 2020, 03:56:46 pm »

In Florida, pentecoastal church preacher Rodney Howard-Browne has been arrested for not stopping his mass church services and even actively bringing hundreds of people to his church (providing bus transport) despite multiple warnings by the police.

According to Howard-Browne, who is a fan of Trump,  the 'phantom virus' is a jewish conspiracy to close down churches.He claims he alone will heal all Americans from the virus, and social distancing is thus unnescessary.

The police were preparing for an armed raid on the church, for Howard-Browne is notorious for his love of guns and private security.
But this proved unnescessary when Howard-Browne turned himself in at the police station today.

EDIT: In other news, a judge has aborted the anti-abortion measure the state of Texas had declared.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:28:10 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: March 30, 2020, 07:55:38 pm »

Joining the discussion!

Need an opinion. First of all, I've been traveling to my parents home to work since I can;t work from home since I just moved and I got no internet hookup yet. Yes, I know this was unwise to start with.

So my wife is a nurse at an old folks home, and we just found out that the hospital that her patients make regular trips to when they fall or what have you has multiple cases of COVID-19. This is basically a daily occurrence, patients going to and from.

My dad is at risk, so this means I could officially be a vector. You think it's good to stop coming here to work? My boss is fantastic and I'm not too worried about my job going kaput if I have to stop working for a week until I have internet, but I really wanted you guys' thoughts as well.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: March 30, 2020, 07:56:43 pm »

I'd stop yes. Thats  how these things spread. Limit your social contacts...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: March 30, 2020, 07:57:30 pm »

Joining the discussion!

Need an opinion. First of all, I've been traveling to my parents home to work since I can;t work from home since I just moved and I got no internet hookup yet. Yes, I know this was unwise to start with.

So my wife is a nurse at an old folks home, and we just found out that the hospital that her patients make regular trips to when they fall or what have you has multiple cases of COVID-19. This is basically a daily occurrence, patients going to and from.

My dad is at risk, so this means I could officially be a vector. You think it's good to stop coming here to work? My boss is fantastic and I'm not too worried about my job going kaput if I have to stop working for a week until I have internet, but I really wanted you guys' thoughts as well.
Definitely tell your boss it's a quarantine risk and then try and rush your ISP.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: March 30, 2020, 08:00:51 pm »

I'd stop yes. Thats  how these things spread. Limit your social contacts...
Joining the discussion!

Definitely tell your boss it's a quarantine risk and then try and rush your ISP.

That was fast, thanks. I'm sort of aware that my judgement is a bit compromised here. I'm very much inclined to treat things like this with some, shall we say, prideful indifference.

This COVID is no joke through, and I want to make sure I do the right thing.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: March 30, 2020, 08:02:22 pm »

This is thus far an unprecedented kind of disaster - 9/11 was not so protracted, the recession not so publicly deadly, wars not so close to the soft shores of the """""developed""""" world.

On one hand, there's definitely a real risk, and even very intelligent humans are pretty infamous about undervaluing invisible threats until they have their hands around our necks. You could be an asymptomatic infectious case right now. Or you might wake up sick tomorrow. What I do know for sure is that people with risk factors appear to have a habit of going from first cough to lung failure at a rate and speed that is shocking even hardened nurses.

On the other hand, the economic disruption means you're in a very atypical situation vis-a-vis work. You both are probably at more risk of being fired and at more risk of getting your way than usual. You could, I suppose, easily claim you had no choice in the matter and your boss would be unable to prove otherwise.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: March 30, 2020, 08:15:51 pm »

This is thus far an unprecedented kind of disaster - 9/11 was not so protracted, the recession not so publicly deadly, wars not so close to the soft shores of the """""developed""""" world.

On one hand, there's definitely a real risk, and even very intelligent humans are pretty infamous about undervaluing invisible threats until they have their hands around our necks. You could be an asymptomatic infectious case right now. Or you might wake up sick tomorrow. What I do know for sure is that people with risk factors appear to have a habit of going from first cough to lung failure at a rate and speed that is shocking even hardened nurses.

On the other hand, the economic disruption means you're in a very atypical situation vis-a-vis work. You both are probably at more risk of being fired and at more risk of getting your way than usual. You could, I suppose, easily claim you had no choice in the matter and your boss would be unable to prove otherwise.

I appreciate this.

Yeah I think that's my best choice right now. I am covered for 15 days off the bat of unable to work (last I checked) and I've got sick days I can probably use. My hope is that I will be out fo work for no more than a week. Once my internet gets hooked up I can start working from my actual home.

Thanks for the support guys.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: March 31, 2020, 12:44:14 am »

I'm honestly sick(no pun intended) of hearing this described as a war that we will win. This is an onslaught, and the best we can do is to survive.

Also, it's not a fucking invisible enemy. It's a very small and mindlessly propagating organism.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: March 31, 2020, 12:51:14 am »

In terms of emotional reasoning, that's an invisible enemy. Your amygdala does not understand viruses, it understands tigers. It might, at best association, understand that sick people and corpses are dangerous, but even then it requires plain evidence of their sickness and deadness.

Regardless of what knowledge you have about covid, the most likely outcome is that you still will either over or under estimate the precautions you should be taking because of this, just as you do with most long-term and invisible threats. You cannot place a bottle of climate change on your table and say "here is the danger". Since we're still developing protocol on this disease, it is all the more likely outcome.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: March 31, 2020, 01:15:00 am »

It's a very small and mindlessly propagating organism.
They're replicators, technically.

Normally we'd use guns, but these seem to be of the Asuran variety. And we all know how those went down.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: March 31, 2020, 01:39:09 am »

Also, it's not a fucking invisible enemy. It's a very small and mindlessly propagating organism.
nice irrelevant pedantry
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 459