Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 419867 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2205 on: April 07, 2020, 01:20:29 pm »

One more down. Three counties left for confirmation of full county level infection of florida. One of the remaining has tested 13/8354 (0.15%) of its population, going by census estimates and publicly available testing info. Other two are at 29/8422 (0.34%) and 74/18582 (0.39%). Soon!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 07, 2020, 03:19:56 pm »

US voting related: The polling places in Wisconsin (because people are being required to vote in person, in order to do voter suppression/make sure more people become sick) are wild. The videos of the lines I saw were several blocks long. One city (Waukesha) found 14,000 misplaced ballots today. I have also heard that Texas has not determined that "Coronavirus" is a valid reason to allow people to do absentee voting. We have systems in place to deal with things like this, but they aren't being used, because the people in charge are actively trying to kill everyone.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 07, 2020, 04:08:04 pm »

I think part of the problem in Wisconsin is they had to draft the state national guard to cover the shortfall in polling workers, ‘cause covid-19.

Republicans are the problem here, saying there’s no reason to postpone or call off the election or give everyone an absentee ballot.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 07, 2020, 04:36:10 pm »

Probably because they think the pandemic is "Just a little flu!"

You know, because of how deeply in denial they are about the situation. (Because actually allowing people time to vote properly would potentially upset their hegemony, which is based ideologically on the notion of keeping the status quo alive, and the current situation is anything BUT the prior status quo they want to protect and preserve to sustain that hegemony.  SO--- they operate with blind and callous disregard to public safety, pretent that the current pandemic is NOT fucking deadly and dangerous, and insist that everyone show up at polling places, knowing that only their most rabid supporters will show up.)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 07, 2020, 04:42:03 pm »

I think part of the problem in Wisconsin is they had to draft the state national guard to cover the shortfall in polling workers, ‘cause covid-19.

Republicans are the problem here, saying there’s no reason to postpone or call off the election or give everyone an absentee ballot.

True. The Governor did try, at least.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 07, 2020, 04:44:50 pm »

The US is going to screen donated blood for the presence of anticovid antibodies, hoping to extrapolate the prevalence from this.

For the record, a small pilot study of the technique in Italy (60 donors) showed a prevalence of 70%... the big question is how representative that is of the general population.

In spain they're going to screen random families instead
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 07, 2020, 04:47:29 pm »

Me wife is getting tested tonight, she's showing possible preliminary symptoms. Doc said go get a test.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 07, 2020, 04:50:07 pm »

Gods that sounds fucking incredible. Go get tested says the doc, when you're not already ready for hospitalization. How different wherever the hell you are sounds :V
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 07, 2020, 05:17:08 pm »

I think his wife works healthcare of some description, so she’s muy importante.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 07, 2020, 05:24:30 pm »

Me wife is getting tested tonight, she's showing possible preliminary symptoms. Doc said go get a test.

Dang. Hope everything works out okay.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 07, 2020, 07:36:59 pm »

Yesterday was four. This morning was three. This afternoon we're down to lingering plague death overtime, Liberty vs Lafayette, the two least populous counties in Florida and the last two without confirmed cases! Who will lose less by taking less time to actually identify the people in their county lines infected with the crow plague?! Find out probably fucking tomorrow or something. Next week at the latest I guess.

I'm kinda' thinking Lafayette's going to be the last one to find it, though. They're currently testing at like twice the rate of Liberty with tests actually pending (unlike Liberty), but I figure reality's feeling perverse so Liberty'll find one first.
Ask not!
Ask!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 07, 2020, 07:44:59 pm »

I think his wife works healthcare of some description, so she’s muy importante.

Dang. Hope everything works out okay.

Thanks! Also yes, she's a nurse whose facility has recently become infected. She works with people who are very at-risk to begin with, unfortunately.

She's one of the only nurses of her tier there able to work the overnight. The management there botched hiring hard before the virus, and now it's causing repercussions.

The good news: Her symptoms are not Covid. They are apparently pinkeye. We have never been relieved to have pinkeye before.

The bad news: They still need to test her for Covid. This was rescheduled till Thursday due to how bogged down they are.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 07, 2020, 07:49:33 pm »

Good luck man, I'll hope for the best for you both.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 07, 2020, 10:55:16 pm »

The US is going to screen donated blood for the presence of anticovid antibodies, hoping to extrapolate the prevalence from this.
No plans for this in the UK from what I checked earlier. They're certain that COVID itself does not transmit in blood (is what that page currently says), and they have no mention of the usage - described elsewhere - of recovered persons' bloods being apparently beneficial to (some?) current sufferers. Perhaps effectively an antigen/antibody 'serum' effect.

I originally looked this up a couple of weeks ago as it's about now I would expect my regular "time to make an appointment" SMS. Though as it's neither xmas nor summer, it's probably not going to say "at this time of year our stocks are low" - there may be a depressed number of donors, but a large number of elective surgeries will also be delayed that might have absorbed stocks a bit.

I really would like to donate (something like my 97th or 98th time, IIRC) before I start to detect my hay-fever 'tingle'. In past years I might have just made sure I'm not sneezing on the day (ok, so not quite as blasé, but YGTI) whereas this time round it's always possible the overlapping symptoms could be this (still) rather more unknown issue.

I'm far from likely to be routinely tested (antigen/antibody), assuming I don't obviously succumb along the way, until they decide to scale up to the capacity to mass-screen whole swathes of the population. It'd be nice to get such reassurance/confirmation out of the way but I'm rather resigned to being in the dark for the foreseeable.

(While I'm in here again correcting a trivial typo, let me also wish the continuing best for yor wife, Dun. Aside from being probably-not-COVIDiated, right this moment, it sounds like there's at the very least a potential for even more stress than her job would normally give. Even if there's no later exposure in her immediate future, I can't imagine the work-hours will become any more sane this side of a big change in the workplace.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:04:32 pm by Starver »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 07, 2020, 11:45:18 pm »

No plans for this in the UK from what I checked earlier. They're certain that COVID itself does not transmit in blood (is what that page currently says), and they have no mention of the usage - described elsewhere - of recovered persons' bloods being apparently beneficial to (some?) current sufferers. Perhaps effectively an antigen/antibody 'serum' effect
It's not for transmission (although I would not go as far as saying its impossible to catch covid from blood transfusion.. we simply don't know). It's to try to get an idea on how many people in the general population might have passed it already without knowing. Odds are the number is large

The convalescent serum thing is done in trials, which I'm sure are taking place in the UK. I'm surprised they're not posting it in the donor's website but, eh who knows what they're thinking.  NICE guidelines are absurdly restrictive, it could be that they dont even let them advertise a trial. My erstwhile mentor apparently is bitter because they dont let him try HCQ as compassionate use in his patients. 
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 459