Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 419867 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3495 on: July 04, 2020, 09:11:03 am »

If it's not directed at them then why are they being targeted :P
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: July 04, 2020, 09:16:31 am »

All americans are MAGAs!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: July 04, 2020, 09:18:35 am »

Make Americans Guilty Again :P
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: July 04, 2020, 09:24:33 am »

If it's not directed at them then why are they being targeted :P
:P Joke understood, may I play along? Clearly the projectile (words in this case) is too broad and can hit bystanders. Like if a person were to target wasps but ends up killing flies that look like wasps on accident, along with the wasps. The flies that mimicked wasps were not the target, but got hit as well.  :P End of play-along attempt. Now back to Coronavirus
It seems that Iowa is having fluctuations up and down since the major spike on the 26 of May. The trend seems to be mostly stable since then. Here’s the graph if interested. If you want, I can do this for the other states too
I chose Iowa data since that’s the state I live in, all I did was a google search and screenshot the resulting graph. This was an attempt at getting back on topic

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: July 04, 2020, 11:12:08 pm »

nor The Dark Tower and many other references

Just be glad it isn't North Central Positronics.

It has not escaped my notice that this means Gilead is making medicine for COVID-*19*. Also, DT-->Man in Black-->Randall Flagg-->Captain Trips/Project Blue.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: July 05, 2020, 07:17:45 am »

-->Two by two, hands of blue
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: July 05, 2020, 07:47:17 am »

i had an argument with an american who said that wearing masks is more dangerous because you'll be 'breathing in the same bacteria through the mask all day and stagnate your lungs'

i want off the planet

also, bacteria

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: July 05, 2020, 08:06:43 am »

The argument I've seen is "you'll die of carbon-dioxide poisoning" (well, not die immediately, but you will immediately be intoxicated by the stuff, irreversable brain damage creeping through every single minute). As 'proof', immediate oxymeter changes supposedly putting you straight into "the death zone".

(I suspect that if you hold your breath for a minute or three, you could induce those results. Deliberately or, as you're eagerly keeping an eye on the display, literally breathless with anticipation...)

The counter-factual of surgeons doing eight hour operations and suchlike, while masked up and probably closer fitted than John Q Public, seems to be ignored.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: July 05, 2020, 10:13:40 am »

The Carbon-Dioxide one is one I've seen, most prominently on that one video of a Florida meeting. It reminds me of how people think of (real or imagined) harmful pollution and chemicals as building up in the body without you immediately noticing, like lead or something. Which is... not how CO2 works.

Kind of mind-boggling to see people think CO2 is lead or something, when A: CO2 will simply just kinda kill you outright if it's a problem, and B: Your body doesn't actually have a "Am I getting enough oxygen?" feedback mechanism so much as a "Is there too much carbon dioxide here for there to be oxygen to breathe?", which is associated with all the things you think of as a result of not getting air, i.e gasping, drowning, etc. Suffocation.

Hence how you can pass out and die really easily if the air is filled with something other than CO2, like Carbon Monoxide can just kinda fucking kill you without you noticing until you pass out. One imagines these people are unfamiliar.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: July 05, 2020, 11:19:40 am »

The big thing is nitrogen. Probably because everything else atmospheric we normally interact with is swimming in the stuff, we don't have much inside us that'll even react with the stuff (even monentarily) and there's not much out there in nature that'll make it a thing we need to be wary of in the first place, we just don't seem to have a warning signal for its overabundance. There's just no normal use for it (though I wonder i, e.g., cetations have developed a direct feel for its blood-concentration state?).

Of course, we can concentrate it, with our technology, and then put ourselves in the hypoxic (purely because hypernitrogenated) situation we have caused to occur. Technically more dangerous than other 'odourless' trace gasses that do something if make them not-so-trace because it's almost entirely an act-of-omission problem, so no 'side-effects'.

CO¹ might also be insidiius, but it does that by inflicting itself into our biology, even if you aren't aware of whatever smells commonly accompany the monoxide creation in many of its scenarios. (Subtler and 'cleaner' insufficient-combustion methods cause CO deaths in the sleep, but a wakeful person still has more chance of realising something is wrong, before succumbing.)

Well, along those lines. I'm generalising and trying not to go too deeply into what is potentially a Death Trope. Especially as it seems I'm definitelyvdrifting off-topic. (Moi?)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: July 05, 2020, 03:08:00 pm »

Wearing a mask could be more dangerous if makes you more inclined to keep adjusting it and touching your face. Add that on top of people who don't cover their nose with the mask, defeating the whole point.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 03:11:35 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: July 05, 2020, 03:56:49 pm »

Wearing a mask could be more dangerous if makes you more inclined to keep adjusting it and touching your face. Add that on top of people who don't cover their nose with the mask, defeating the whole point.
Again with  "oh no masks are actually more dangerous than no masks"?  ::)

No look. Every bit helps. Those who were saying this two months ago admitted that it was because there was a mask shortage, not because it wasn't sensible to wear a mask back then. So wear your goddamn mask in public.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: July 05, 2020, 04:01:22 pm »

The #1 thing masks do is protect other people; if someone's got covid and is wearing a mask, they're far less likely to spread it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: July 05, 2020, 04:10:30 pm »

That's another soundbite that I'm pretty sure is not true. Not the bit about preventing the spread of your infection to other people (which is reasonable), but the bit about them not protecting yourself. They have been shown to be protective in trials with other viral diseases. It's reasonable to assume the pattern will repeat itself with covid.

I think that given that it was being said at the same time they were saying masks "might be dangerous" the reason is the same: masks were limited in number so they wanted a justification to allocate them in more critical areas (HCW and known infected people).

I think this was probably a mistake because it has fed on the "no-mask" alt right moron's paranoia

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: July 05, 2020, 04:19:25 pm »

Again with  "oh no masks are actually more dangerous than no masks"?  ::)

No look. Every bit helps. Those who were saying this two months ago admitted that it was because there was a mask shortage, not because it wasn't sensible to wear a mask back then. So wear your goddamn mask in public.

But wear it properly and don't touch your face.

If you want to be extra safe, wear eye protection (e.g., sunglasses.) It may be possible to get COVID through contact with your eyes.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:24:10 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 459