Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 420674 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4200 on: September 02, 2020, 03:18:07 pm »

Some of the schools in my area re-opened today. Not the cluster of schools nearest me, but electronic sign outside the fence did have the instruction "Cough into your elbow".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mask of +1 Disease Resistance Edition
« Reply #4201 on: September 02, 2020, 05:26:52 pm »

An Icelandic studies has shown that 90% of recovered covid patients still had high concentrations of antibodies against the virus after 4 months.
The scientists investigated blood samples of over 30000 Icelanders.  Of those, 1215 people were found to be infected.
91% of those infected showed a sharp increase in antibodies the first two months after diagnosis, after which the number of antibodies remained stable.
So it looks like losing immunity within a few months is not the standard, it's somewhat rare.

Hmm.  Maybe reinfection, at this point, actually is rare?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: September 02, 2020, 05:28:00 pm »

Thus study pretty directly conflicts with the previous one suggesting most people would lose antibodies in a few months. Bizarre.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 05:32:58 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: September 02, 2020, 05:29:34 pm »

Some of the schools in my area re-opened today. Not the cluster of schools nearest me, but electronic sign outside the fence did have the instruction "Cough into your elbow".
Cool. Give it a couple weeks and you can get to see the infection rates in your area ~completely inexplicably~ jump up a bit. Something to look forward to!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: September 02, 2020, 05:59:59 pm »

Thus study pretty directly conflicts with the previous one suggesting most people would lose antibodies in a few months. Bizarre.
Viking blood is best blood!

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: September 02, 2020, 06:05:25 pm »

From the ABC News article, referencing Hong Kong:

"Scientists say that although reinfection is likely possible, it's also extremely rare. This is the first documented reinfection among nearly 6 million COVID-19 cases to date."

They don't provide any sources for that.  Great reporting.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: September 03, 2020, 12:05:28 am »

This story hit on Slashdot yesterday.

https://elifesciences.org/articles/59177

Interesting prospects for interventions in acute cases, if theory holds.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: September 03, 2020, 12:15:41 am »

"Bradykin" is the name for people who identify spiritually as part of the Brady Bunch
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: September 03, 2020, 12:33:23 am »

bradykinin is a chemical, not a denomination of people

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: September 03, 2020, 12:59:13 am »

Bradykinin is a chemical that was first discovered in the bodies of members of the Brady Bunch. Researchers suspect that the chemical is correlated with the "Bradyness" of an individual, but no objective means of measuring Braydyness exists as of yet.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: September 03, 2020, 01:21:58 am »

/ponders the Brad(y|i)ness of Ian Brady...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: September 03, 2020, 01:45:43 am »

Medical terminology fail, all of you.
brady means "slow"

Such as bradycardia, "Low heart rate"

It is the antonym of Tachy, ("Fast")

It has nothing to do with a story of a man named Brady who was bringing up three boys of his own.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: September 03, 2020, 02:33:17 am »

So they were the slow bunch?  Is that what the signs on the road warning me about slow children was, I was coming up on one of the kids from the show?

I guess that makes sense, though they must be really slow if cities have time to put signs up in their vicinity.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: September 03, 2020, 02:36:18 am »

Actually, as Einstein demonstrated speed is strictly relative, and as such your heart rate is always fast and slow at the same time with sufficient red/blueshifting.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: September 03, 2020, 05:27:17 am »

The Brady Bunch: Speed is Relative
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 459