Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 420619 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6375 on: February 07, 2022, 01:58:05 pm »

Most of my news posts here originate from the Dutch newspaper I read, the Volkskrant, one of our country's major newspapers, best compared with the New York Times (with whom they share a few columnists and reporters). They are usually one of the first to report about international news, with their journalists living all around the world. If they do have a bias, it is a bias towards professional journalism.

Here's the article about Ottowa:
https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/truckersprotest-in-canada-loopt-uit-de-hand-burgemeester-van-ottawa-roept-noodtoestand-uit~bfdd8b2a/

The only thing that was not from that article in my previous post was 'America might face legal consequences for funding terrorism', that was my own sarcasm.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 02:04:13 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: February 07, 2022, 02:10:49 pm »

The only thing that was not from that article in my previous post was 'America might face legal consequences for funding terrorism', that was my own sarcasm.

Damn, I thought you were being serious there, but I just got the joke. Ha Ha Ha! I feel like an idiot for not getting it sooner.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: February 07, 2022, 02:12:47 pm »

Nah, I should have probably added a /s to that sentence, reading it back I can see it could be mistaken for being serious in the context.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: February 07, 2022, 02:19:59 pm »

The only illegal arms charge I know of in regards to the Candian situation is a bolt-action .22 rifle that was obrezed into more of a pistol. Which is a major breach of Canadian firearms law, but the danger isn't all that great.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: February 08, 2022, 06:04:23 am »

Investigation of blood donor samples shows that 97% of our population has antibodies against Covid.
Most of these are the result of vaccination, well over 90% of our population has been at least double vaccinated, 50% of our population also got their 3d booster shot.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: February 08, 2022, 07:48:48 am »

Blood donor samples have been a poor gauge for immunity over the last two years so take it with a pinch of salt.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: February 08, 2022, 08:24:37 am »

...that'd raise the sodium levels alarmingly. ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6382 on: February 08, 2022, 11:12:18 am »

At least now we know why occupy wall street was a failure. If everyone had shown up with big trucks and vuvuzelas maybe they could've got shit done

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: February 08, 2022, 11:33:08 am »

I know you’re joking, but from what I’ve heard from other people, Occupy failed because the people protesting the system didn’t understand it very well. There were no well-defined actionable goals, just a general sense of “Fuck Wall Street”.

Although we shouldn’t forget to mention the police. The police cracked down on that HARD!

Frankly this is the most effective protest I’ve seen in years. Shame it’s funded by nutjobs.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6384 on: February 08, 2022, 04:25:03 pm »

I know you’re joking, but from what I’ve heard from other people, Occupy failed because the people protesting the system didn’t understand it very well. There were no well-defined actionable goals, just a general sense of “Fuck Wall Street”.
That's a universally applicable kind of criticism to levy at any heterogenous grass roots movement, but not all are unsuccessful. From the French Revolution to the Arab Spring, even in this honk honk honk mad max convoy, you'll see loads of groups within groups, and even individuals within those groups will have their own motivations and agendas.

Although we shouldn’t forget to mention the police. The police cracked down on that HARD!

Frankly this is the most effective protest I’ve seen in years. Shame it’s funded by nutjobs.
That's what I mean - there's something ingenious about the fact that logistically removing that many trucks isn't happening without trucker compliance, the truckers themselves are needed to transport goods & ignoring the truckers isn't an option because honk honk honk. In these days where civic engagement in politics has been reduced to voting for the same two assholes again and again or getting a police baton to the face, it's refreshing to see a bunch of truck drivers paralyse basically everything on a spur of madness. It'd be cool if they used this opportunity to address everything else fucked up in the world instead of just doing nurgle plague worship

Tactically they're like heavier versions of French tractor roadblocks

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: February 08, 2022, 07:26:19 pm »

I think I might have figured out why I have been getting con calls like 'Indian accent microsoft support', tape recordings telling me 'there are criminal charges filed against you' and similar modern age Nigerian princes about twice a month for the past year or so.
I never ever got those before.

A collective interest group is sueing the Dutch state now, for a data leak. The data of 7 million dutch citizens (out of 17 million total) have been stolen, and offered for sale online to criminals on the dark web.
The data were stolen from the GGD, our national health service that is responisble for Covid testing and vaccination.
The stolen data include social security numbers, personal adresses, mobile telephone numbers, home telephone numbers, vaccination status and relevant health records.

7 employees of the GGD have been arrested for leaking the information, 2 have been convicted. The leak is still not closed and ongoing.

ICAM, the collective interest group is claiming 3.2 billion euros, that is 500 euros for everyone involved, or 1500 euros for people of whom it can be demonstrated that their records have indeed been sold online.

So far 80000 people have applied with ICAM to join in the claim.

I wasn't kidding a few days ago when I said that you'd be surprised how many people refuse to have their medical data shared with the national medical database. Crap like this is why.

Those calls I'm getting started a week or somesuch after my first vaccination :P
I think I'm going to apply too, I could really use a 500-1500 euros.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/datalek-ggd-gaat-de-staat-mogelijk-miljarden-kosten-aan-schadevergoeding-voor-gedupeerde-burgers~b3c03939/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:34:37 pm by martinuzz »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: February 09, 2022, 03:02:58 am »

And this is why warehousing databases in easy to access [aka, OVER THE FUCKING INTERNET] locations is a bad idea.

Does not matter who you are, or what you do.  If a public terminal can access it, a public terminal *WILL* access it.

No, I dont care how much money it saves on infrastructure to use the internet.
No, I dont care how much the sales rep told you that the data protocol is secure.
No, I dont care how inconvenient it is for your clients to have to use an actually secure channel.
No, I dont care how inconvenient it is to screen people for access to the secure channel.

If you use the public internet as your transport, YOU WILL GET YOUR DATA LEAKED.  (this is PRECISELY why the world banking infrastructure does NOT use the internet to facilitate inter-bank communications, and why it does all the things listed above CORRECTLY.)

Thank you. Now go about your business.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: February 09, 2022, 04:49:17 am »

Sweden goes no precaution today (only the tiniest efforts remain in effect). Let's watch this one burn
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: February 09, 2022, 05:28:19 am »

If its any consolation I think management has been more or less equally shitty all over Europe. Or rather, some have been better and some have been worse but noone had the spine to do what needed to be done. And here we are. Once again the numbers go down and goverments do even less everytime. As if we werent going to get another case spike in a few weeks.

Keep wearing your mask regardless of whatever the goverment says regarding mask mandates.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: February 09, 2022, 05:57:27 am »

And this is why warehousing databases in easy to access [aka, OVER THE FUCKING INTERNET] locations is a bad idea.

Does not matter who you are, or what you do.  If a public terminal can access it, a public terminal *WILL* access it.

This one was worse. Not even was everything linked to the internet, the software used by the totally unscreened 1000s of corona crisis workers had a convenient and easy to use built in EXPORT function for all the highly sensitive data. They weren't even hacked from the outside, criminals applied for jobs and exported the data of 7 million people.

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 459