Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 419882 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:New Year, New Variant Edition
« Reply #6450 on: February 10, 2022, 02:38:17 pm »

I found this Twitter thread useful to understanding what "endemic" means.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: February 10, 2022, 02:40:01 pm »

Masks work if you're using high-filtering ones like N95s or whatever, but barely anyone does, so unless you're willing to go ahead and pay the bill for buying everyone an ongoing supply of N95s, then no, in effect they do not work. The basic cloth masks and disposable surgical masks have no statistically significant benefit.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: February 10, 2022, 02:50:46 pm »

Ah. I understand your point, then.

I upgraded to N95s etc. with the Omicron wave (I was rationing them for an event like this before). At the university, most students use high quality masks.

I would be more than happy to have my $20k of yearly income taxed in order to get everyone at least one good mask per week ;)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: February 10, 2022, 02:54:20 pm »

Mask issues have always been about misinformation and the unwillingness to manufacture them.

We did/do need N95s. The cloth masks were better than nothing. Surgeons wear surgical masks for a reason; you don't want them not wearing them during surgery.

Masks work if you're using high-filtering ones like N95s or whatever, but barely anyone does, so unless you're willing to go ahead and pay the bill for buying everyone an ongoing supply of N95s, then no, in effect they do not work. The basic cloth masks and disposable surgical masks have no statistically significant benefit.

Yes, the sensible would very much like everyone to have an ongoing supply of N95s. The corporate overlords don't want to manufacture the amount we all need, despite what could have easily been an overwhelming demand to justify the supply. Even if government guaranteed payment. This is about abuse of power with misinformation even at a $loss
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/white-house-says-it-will-distribute-400-million-free-n95-n1287672

"The Biden administration will make 400 million N95 masks available for free at thousands of locations across the country, a White House official said Wednesday, as health experts stress the importance of high-quality face coverings to protect against the omicron variant of the coronavirus." ~ Is what a lot of people would like to do if people would get out of the way and play ball. They won't.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: February 10, 2022, 02:58:31 pm »

JoshuaFH's interpretation is pretty insightful and accurate. I hold pretty strongly to the philosophy espoused by Benjamin Franklin when he said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Unfortunately that quote does not mean what you think it means.

WITTES: He was writing about a tax dispute between the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the family of the Penns, the proprietary family of the Pennsylvania colony who ruled it from afar. And the legislature was trying to tax the Penn family lands to pay for frontier defense during the French and Indian War. And the Penn family kept instructing the governor to veto. Franklin felt that this was a great affront to the ability of the legislature to govern. And so he actually meant purchase a little temporary safety very literally. The Penn family was trying to give a lump sum of money in exchange for the General Assembly's acknowledging that it did not have the authority to tax it.

SIEGEL: So far from being a pro-privacy quotation, if anything, it's a pro-taxation and pro-defense spending quotation.

WITTES: It is a quotation that defends the authority of a legislature to govern in the interests of collective security. It means, in context, not quite the opposite of what it's almost always quoted as saying but much closer to the opposite than to the thing that people think it means.

I suspect you’ll be looking for another philosophy to live by, or will you just give up on trying to make your selfishness appear palatable to others?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: February 10, 2022, 03:09:41 pm »

Nope. Keeping my philosophy. I believe in individual liberty. Liberty is messy, and it has tradeoffs, and sometimes that means you can't guarantee safety. But I'm happy with my choices :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXWhbUUE4ko
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: February 10, 2022, 03:20:23 pm »

We always appreciate armchair philosophical positions.

At least your Youtube bait was catchy though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: February 10, 2022, 04:01:19 pm »

The basic cloth masks and disposable surgical masks have no statistically significant benefit.
A factless assertion. Easily shown to be incorrect. Not that you're bothered. Enjoy your life, hope things go well with you.

Spoiler: Ignore this. (click to show/hide)

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: February 10, 2022, 04:12:11 pm »

We always appreciate armchair philosophical positions.

At least your Youtube bait was catchy though.

Thanks! Glad to be appreciated!

The basic cloth masks and disposable surgical masks have no statistically significant benefit.
A factless assertion. Easily shown to be incorrect. Not that you're bothered. Enjoy your life, hope things go well with you.

Thanks for your support. I'm glad you understand that people make choices and trade-offs and life, and are willing to support my choices, as I support yours :)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: February 10, 2022, 04:58:01 pm »

Colour me surprised. Though it is CDC, it's provided an overwhelming amount of studies to back up its claims, when I previously heard that none existed. The first one I looked at checked out (study number 3, which states that cloth masks blocked 59% of fine aerosol particles in comparison with the mighty n95's 99%), so that's enough to make my gut interpret it as trustworthy (Boo! How dare you not take the time to verify all 90 citations!).

Thanks for sharing this. It does make me wonder why my surgeon friend so zealously believes masks are useless against Covid though.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: February 10, 2022, 07:08:01 pm »

Your surgeon friend has made their decision and are looking for excuses to support it and sound evidence based. Anti-vaxxers and pro-covid folks started pulling this 'masks don't work' line a couple months ago (I believe it was Bumber in this thread that I saw it first). It is frankly idiotic, intentionally ignoring how viruses spread to justify the behavior they've pushed for since day 1.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: February 10, 2022, 07:09:59 pm »

Thanks for your support. I'm glad you understand that people make choices and trade-offs and life, and are willing to support my choices, as I support yours :)

If you supported our choices you wouldn't be living in a Libertarian delusion. It's all self-balancing though. Everything comes paid eventually. Just look at the people you agree with and how fast they're leaving the gene pool.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: February 10, 2022, 07:19:57 pm »

If you supported our choices you wouldn't be living in a Libertarian delusion. It's all self-balancing though. Everything comes paid eventually. Just look at the people you agree with and how fast they're leaving the gene pool.

Actually, the people who agree with me are all vaccinated, and so they're not exactly in any rush to leave the gene pool. No Herman Cain awards here :)

Even Fauci agrees we're out of the woods!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 07:22:51 pm by Pwnzerfaust »

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: February 10, 2022, 07:41:52 pm »

Actually, the people who agree with me are all vaccinated, and so they're not exactly in any rush to leave the gene pool. No Herman Cain awards here :)

Even Fauci agrees we're out of the woods!

This is why there's no point in arguing in a "post truth" society. Translation: lies, misinformation, and cherry picking.

Even this less than great, out of context article just does not say, "it's over." But there are people who will only see what they want to see and just will never ever under any circumstances deal with anything else. "Beginning to end" (after 2 years) is still not "it's over." Seems lots of people are engaging in smug wishful thinking and delusion. People want it to be over and they don't care how or at what cost ... to other people (notably not them personally). It's somehow a "trade off" as long as the person making the decision isn't the one forced to pay for it.... The real world is real, and people can't collectively decide a pandemic is over when they want it over, because humans don't have that ability. Otherwise, this would've been over ages ago. Although several will get physically violent with you if you point that out these days.... I'm pretty sure if Facci said "it's over," every single major news outlet would have it front page or heavily featured. He didn't.

We're still losing 1,000s of people to this.... Soon it's gonna hit 1,000,000 in the US. Couple months? There could be another variant (like delta or omicron). We don't know.

Bottom line: A lot of people only care about their individual comfort and nothing else. This is why the West is failing.
I once heard someone say "humans are monsters that can't stand to be called monsters." I didn't get how anyone could say that at the time. I don't know if I'm ready to buy that yet, but I'm starting to get they went through a lot to say that.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 07:44:05 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: February 11, 2022, 03:49:32 am »

There could be another variant but you dont need one. Omicron can infect you while vaccinated and it can re-infect you every few weeks. Even disregarding deaths and long covid, no society can run with a huge percentage of the population getting disabled by covid over and over.

I predict another U turn by western goverments in a few weeks, once the insanity of all this becomes clear and they bring back masks and social distancing.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 429 430 [431] 432 433 ... 459