Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 419877 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Plague begets War Edition
« Reply #6570 on: March 04, 2022, 04:42:03 pm »

Depending on how many nuclear reactors are damaged in Ukraine, we might still have a use for masks in the future... ;)

(Yes, probaby less than useless for that, if you want to be picky. But not less than useless in general.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: March 04, 2022, 05:35:57 pm »

So many nurses and doctors are calling in sick that our health authority has decided that healthcare staff that has tested positive for corona should still come to work, if they have no symptoms.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: March 04, 2022, 05:55:31 pm »

So many nurses and doctors are calling in sick that our health authority has decided that healthcare staff that has tested positive for corona should still come to work, if they have no symptoms.

That.. sounds like ordering people to become a lot of Typhoid Marys.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: March 04, 2022, 06:01:45 pm »

The alternative is letting patients die because there's not enough doctors.
Those who come to work with corona will get extra protective gear.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: March 04, 2022, 06:07:56 pm »

Spoiler: Extra protective gear (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: March 04, 2022, 06:43:23 pm »

My place of employment also made masks optional, which most people took to get rid of them.

I’m still wearing mine currently as there are various at risk people on my immediate orbit, and I’m alright with an extra layer of safety for them, if you’ll excuse the pun.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: March 04, 2022, 06:48:26 pm »

Part of my job is protecting the at-risk person on my staff, by enforcing mask usage for every single person they come into contact with throughout the day. If they don't like wearing the mask, they can leave.

Most people are pretty cooperative, though I've had a few that absolutely refuse no matter what.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: March 04, 2022, 08:24:13 pm »

My job removed mask requirements for vaccinated employees today. I've also realized how ugly my coworkers' faces are. I'm still going to wear mine; even without the risk of infection, there's a lot of dust floating around my work area, and the mask really helps with that.
Honestly I just want it to stay normal to wear a mask because I want to.  Even if Covid was gone (which it extremely isn't, ugh) I feel a lot better in public this way.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: March 04, 2022, 09:40:02 pm »

New sessions are starting in China and a lawmaker actually suggested opening things up again for tourism. This is making rounds in the foreigner community, because we haven't logistically been able to see our families since the start of it. Two weeks quarantine for any foreign visitor (unless you're rich/connected), on your own dime, plus you need a Chinese phone number to enter basically any large business/institution. If you go abroad, you have to do the same whenever you return.

If this goes through, and things start opening up again, that will be a huge release of stress for the foreigners here, as well as lighten a huge economic strain on the tourism industry (it is also hard for Chinese people to travel outside their province, unless they drive themselves)

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: March 05, 2022, 10:27:54 pm »

This 14-day-quarantine hinders traveling around greatly. New cases are coming up in SZ for the past few months and I went through 2 xiaoqu lockdowns already.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: March 06, 2022, 08:21:29 am »

Loosening restrictions means this sort of shit :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: March 07, 2022, 12:21:47 pm »

Having just went through an Omicron wave myself, I hope that there are no hesitations to request anti-covid assistance from the US government if there is a surplus of something useful here. I would encourage the US to approve such help if it is requested. I don't know if anything is needed or what the situation may be in China regarding covid right now but for example if there are surplus vaccines or masks or medicines here in the US now I would be happy if my country sent them in the spirit of the Lend/Lease act against covid. I have heard a person on television speak of a new Lend/Lease act (it was only once to be honest, but it stuck with me) and I wanted to ask respectfully what China's opinions could be on what the US can do to avoid "negatively effecting stability in the region" while still preventing such catastrophes as we see in Ukraine.

One idea I had after I heard about it was for a new Lend/Lease act to primarily be used for joint US and China projects on infrastructure and development in less wealthy and also wartorn nations as I believe that could be a desirable outcome for the populace of both the US and China as well as those nations. Is this whole thing a really bad idea? Serious question as I don't know much about the subject yet or what would be possible or well advised.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:54:18 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: March 07, 2022, 01:30:14 pm »

Loosening restrictions means this sort of shit :(

My own workplace wants to try this stupid game also.

Sadly, the adage of "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" seems to not be understood. Healthcare workers getting ill from covid exposure likely is correlated strongly with the "But we GOTSA KEEP OPENZ! LOcKDoWnz BAAYYUUD!" and "Muh Freedumz!", keeping the virus at a sufficiently mobile level.

Really, our society is in denial about the reality of the situation, and wants to pretend that if we ignore the problem, things will get better. (rather than worse.)

This is because doing things like we should have done them (which is too little too late to do now, sadly) was "Hard", and "Expensive."

Well, Stupid games, stupid prizes.

Next, the attrition of HCWs leaving the vocation because of the stupid games and stupid prizes, will not be tenable, and the system will break.  When it does, everyone being super denial morons about it will wonder why, and the Muh Freedumz! crowd will suggest forcing HCWs back into the vocation. Somehow.  (Despite the hilarious 180 about-face about "Freedum" that would be.)

Yeah, I am real salty and cynical about this.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: March 07, 2022, 02:00:36 pm »

I found this bill after a browser search:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/6753/text?r=10&s=1

To provide enhanced authority for the President to enter into agreements with the Government of Ukraine to lend or lease defense articles to that Government to protect civilian populations in Ukraine from Russian military invasion, and for other purposes.

Also that was bad of me to think such a bill would go beyond Ukraine. That's what I was worried about so I hesitated to just call for something like that without trying to learn about it. I would like to help out other countries including China with covid medicines if we have a surplus during low case numbers.

I don't have expectations of Xi and Biden to become best friends but I do hope for warming relations over time between our two countries.

I actually haven't checked this thread lately, sorry for not paying as much attention. It looks like there are a lot of places with high numbers still.

I wouldn't mind a covid lockdown but it might have to be organized in a rolling fashion around the world and all the places with outbreaks at once.

Do you think Omicron will be the last big wave? I don't know but I hope so. If the scale of it goes down at some point I'd hope we might have enough pandemic savvy to eliminate it if that's possible.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 02:15:35 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: March 15, 2022, 01:31:26 pm »

Omicron BA.2 “stealth” variant is gaining traction around the world.
Another wave developing?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 459