Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: Dom3 Round 12: Game has started  (Read 29078 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 12: Game is up and players should be submiting Pretenders
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2013, 04:40:54 pm »

This is usually where I'd start guessing what your pretender builds are, though not having access to the graphs will make that almost impossible without additional intelligence. Ulm's God does appear to have 6 titles though; I didn't even know that was possible.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2013, 04:45:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure you get more titles when you have more dominion and I took really high dominion.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »

Erm, Akhier, is your pretenders name supposed to be "37.6.00000440.a300003.3" ? Descriptive indeed.... if I could figure out how to decode it. I thought for a second it was an indication of a borked pretender build... but I thought those turned into pathless archmages or whatever, and wouldn't have 5 titles? I don't know?

Erm, wait, is it a Father of Serpents with dom10, 4D4N, 3 order and 3 magic that is imprisoned?

@gman: Normally I thought the rules was that each title was 2 dom, rounded up. I.E. 9 or 10 dom should have 5 titles.

Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »

Um...

How do I do my turn? I downloaded the turn file, but what do I even do with it?
(I've only ever done network games)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2013, 06:09:50 pm »

First turn in, expect much moaning about my map position in the future.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:16:43 pm by ThtblovesDF »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2013, 06:13:17 pm »

Um...

How do I do my turn? I downloaded the turn file, but what do I even do with it?
(I've only ever done network games)

Just stick the downloaded "trn" file into the following folder:

dominions3-savedgames-*game folder*

* If you haven't done so already, right click new folder inside "savedgames" and name it whatever you want.  This is where you will be putting all your "trn" files that the host llamaserver sends.

Once the "trn" file is in the correct folder, just boot up dominions and play.  The name of the game will be whatever you named the game folder.  Upon completing your turn, a "2h" file will be created within your game folder.  This is what you will send back to llamaserver.
Sure thing peanut man!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2013, 06:20:38 pm »

Thanks, turn sent

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2013, 06:37:03 pm »

@gman: Normally I thought the rules was that each title was 2 dom, rounded up. I.E. 9 or 10 dom should have 5 titles.

That's what I thought, but he has six titles! Maybe dom10 gets an extra one? I've never built a pretender with that much dominion before.

EDIT: T'ien Ch'i also has six titles! I hope I'm not dominion killed.

First turn in, expect much moaning about my map position in the future.
I did try my best to make them all equally terrible.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:41:37 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2013, 06:41:24 pm »

I honestly don't know, although I will admit that I have dominion 10 so I guess that makes sense.
Sure thing peanut man!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2013, 10:19:04 pm »

I've kept it on CNN since the bombing.

Oh, so you heard about how we caught the 18 terrorists, lost many of them, recaught them, and how their nationality is a mixture of russian, chinese, norwegian, and syrian, with three of them working for a pressure cooker manufacturer.

....seriously, if your computer is your TV then why would you use CNN for news. There are plenty of much better sources online.... like, ya know, the police scanners and such. Personally I've been a huge follower of the reddit livethreads that always happen-- information up to the minute from every source the internet has access to. And that includes such things as the video coming from the police chopper because it apparently isn't encrypted so someone in the area grabbed the signal and put up a stream of it.

Yeah, I saw some of that, or at least what was mentioned in the B12 thread on the first day. All this would make sense if you would simply realize I'm incredibly lazy. In addition I must admit the projector in question is not my own and instead is located square in the family habitat.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:55:34 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2013, 01:00:14 am »

That's what I thought, but he has six titles! Maybe dom10 gets an extra one? I've never built a pretender with that much dominion before.

EDIT: T'ien Ch'i also has six titles! I hope I'm not dominion killed.

iirc having high focus in a magic school gives you a title..?

Woe to those with dominion strength of 4
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:02:28 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2013, 04:02:14 am »

Erm, Akhier, is your pretenders name supposed to be "37.6.00000440.a300003.3" ? Descriptive indeed.... if I could figure out how to decode it. I thought for a second it was an indication of a borked pretender build... but I thought those turned into pathless archmages or whatever, and wouldn't have 5 titles? I don't know?

Erm, wait, is it a Father of Serpents with dom10, 4D4N, 3 order and 3 magic that is imprisoned?
   Huh, I was hoping it would take longer for someone to figure out. Any way you hit the nail on the head. Not that knowing my pretender will tell you much of anything about my strategy (I would not have encoded the stats if it would have after all).
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2013, 04:10:15 am »

Woe to those with dominion strength of 4

Has anyone played with Dom 4 this side of 2010? T'was my understanding that the threat of quick dom-kills via ghost king or the like has made anything less than dom-6 so unthinkable..... and thus made quick dom-kills unthinkable.... leading to a situation where perhaps one could get away with dom 4 again since no one would expect a dom-kill to work anymore.

Huh, I was hoping it would take longer for someone to figure out. Any way you hit the nail on the head. Not that knowing my pretender will tell you much of anything about my strategy (I would not have encoded the stats if it would have after all).

the 00000440 was simple enough to lead to the 4D4N. Similar for the 300003. I worked from there.... the 37 was the number of available chassis, the 6 was the chosen chassis, but to be honest I discovered it be checking out the chassis that were viable to lead to 4D4N. The imprisoned bit was just balancing out the points.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Dom3 Round 12: Game has started
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2013, 04:14:14 am »

Actually 37 is hex for LA Tien Chi. Technically all the numbers are in hex though because most don't break 9 it doesn't matter.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dom3 Round 12: Game has started
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2013, 05:25:36 am »

Ah, yes, I see now. The 'a' for instance was the 10 for the dom strength. But the important lesson here is that most of that stuff doesn't matter if a portion can be decoded and then thought about rationally. Father of Serpents was the only pretender that lined up with Nature and Death, and imprisoned was the only option that added up with a sane level of dom, while dom10 was what filled in from there. So basically I took the two bits of information that was trivial to decode (magic levels & scales) and reverse engineered the sane build from there. A few numbers granted from the sane build reinforced, but weren't really needed.

Now, in theory you could have taken this further. Turn 1, for instance, is a relatively simple turn in which most of us will either prophet our scout, our commander, or recruit a mage we intent to prophet on turn 2. Mayhaps 5% will instead recruit a mid-level mage with the intent to later recruit a top-level mage the prophet on turn 3 or beyond. As for movement strat, that is simple as well given that there is 0 intel to be had-- either someone is going ballsy and attacking blind this turn or they are researching(if they are awake) and waiting for scout intel. Another variable would be the tax rate for those using their initial stack to patrol (I.E. not prophetting the commander & not attacking blind with the stack) Research target is also pre-known. So ultimately the only bit of information you couldn't have declared in pregame is the direction your scout is heading, assuming you arn't prophetting your scout, as that is the only decision anyone can make on turn 1 that is influenced by information gained between turn 0 and turn 1.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28