Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Concerning the automatic factories...

Have few types but with many possible functions for each.  The simpler option
- 38 (42.2%)
Have many different types that each takes a particular input, for long assembly lines
- 29 (32.2%)
Have many types, allow using the wrong ones, but using them correctly lets the items have quality levels
- 23 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: [GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes  (Read 44533 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
[GNOME] - V0.78.2: Latest Patch: Couple of bugfixes
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:13:45 pm »

Download Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8329

Since Meph will be away for a while, this is where I will be releasing the latest bugfixes, patches, and tweaks for gnomes.  While the version included in the official release is perfectly playable, I strongly suggest downloading the latest version before reporting a bug.

To install the patch, simply unzip the downloaded file into the Masterwork DF main folder and overwrite all files you are prompted to overwrite.  This patch will edit the gnome files only.

Links:
Gameplay Questions
Bug Reports

Changes since the 0.77 release:
Produce basic alloys in the smelter
Convert peat into plastic logs

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: [GREMLIN] - The Little Techies
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:24:41 pm »

That sounds cool!

Gnomes are already in as traders, so I don't think they would be best.

It would be really hard to make something with the right "feel", but if you can pull it off it would be awesome!

Just a thought: for religion would it be possible to make prayers have a small chance of pulling a random lever in the fort? I know DFHack can pull levers, just not sure how hard it would be to make a "pull random lever" script. This would be a thematically perfect way to add a little risk :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 02:54:33 pm »

This comes as a total surprise.

Gremlins as an underground civ are broken. DF does not accept the underground civs at worldgen, so you will need to make them aboveground, like any other civ. I think Gnomes would be a better idea, simply because so many people voted for them and were asking about a tech/steampunk race for a while.

The underground civs I wanted to change at some point. Troglodytes are a bit boring, so are Gremlins, Batmen, since they are all vanilla DF. The Antmen I would like to keep, because the caste system and 4 arms are interesting. But I would rather add a race of blind cave ogres, poisonous amphibious snagas, or tech-savy warpstone-based skaven/ratmen. (yes, inspired by warhammer, I know that some people dont like it^^)

I just mention that to let you know that underground races will change. If you want to make a race of small creatures that are bad fighters and rely on tech and traps, I would rather like to see the Gnomes. But then again, its your mod. If you do rather do grinning, mischivious gremlins, I have no problem with that. :)

As always, I offer all the help that possible. I am currently busy with a website, but January is all DF, and February probably a lot as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 03:08:46 pm »

I was thinking about making a gnome civ a long time ago, and what I was going to do was make them suck at melee combat and use "centurions" (giant automations, think TES dwemer) for defense. This crashed upon the rocks of not being able to spawn creatures, but since that is now possible via DFHack it could be a cool thing to do.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 03:17:39 pm »

Deon has a lot of steampunk material already in his new Genesis with the Clockworks, and the Automaton Fortress and Dwemer Fortress/Nchardark have TES-style Centurions. Just saying, the groundwork has been done.

The biggest issue for me is the missing dfhack plugin to make workshops require power. I got positive feedback about it, its possible to write, everything is there... but someone has to do it. It would work only on workshops (not furnaces), and requires the workshop build first, then the gears, but thats fine. Having a civ that requires power as a main ressource would be something new.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 04:00:22 pm »

Hmm...Maybe I'll go with gnomes after all.

I was thinking gremlins because I wanted them to be attacked a lot, but with all the enemy races in Masterwork I don't think that'll be an issue.  Making the civ more trade-reliant would also increase the need for at least some mechanical parts to let the traders into the stronghold.  And I guess that gnomes have a lot more options available...steampunk robots and the like.  I was also concerned they'd be too much like dwarves with their golems and turrets, but I guess there could always be a greater emphasis on constructs, with many different types to work with.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 04:22:59 pm »

Basically make it so they CANT make armor (just clothing). Then you NEED constructs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 04:55:45 pm »

They can still get them from invaders, but with gnomes being so small, all this armor should be tagged "large"... so yeah, thats a possibility.

Problem: Why on earth should a technologically advanced race that can create living metal constructs not make any armor?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 05:07:09 pm »

Hmmm...

I don't know, maybe they find fighting personally distasteful? Think of them as a civ of engineering geeks :p

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 05:08:42 pm »

Well, maybe they are just too weak to run around in heavy metal plate. Maybe a chainmail shirt max, and leather boots, leather gloves. They do need some sort of non-degrading hand/feet cover against contaminants.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »

That sounds good, after all don't want things to be too arbitrary :)

migshark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 05:17:14 pm »

I said this in the warlocks thread too, but pets are pretty unreliable when trying to control them in a fight, but at the same time, having constructs as a permanent caste that can do all labours would kind of supplant the gnomes themselves. Maybe make them piloted mechas? Steam-engines are quite different from electrical/internal combustion ones in the sense that it takes time to heat up the boiler and obviously it requires constant fuel. So, with all that in mind, maybe make gnomes temporarily transform into constructs with 100% non-combat skill penalties by bringing fuel (including magma bottles) and (heavy) construct suits to 'docking stations' for launch?

I'm probably jumping the gun on this stuff though, as you've only just considered gnomes. And I may have liked Pacific Rim more than I should have.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 05:36:59 pm »

At some point people have to realize that only civ-members can do labors, and all civ-members share the same graphics. ^^ There can be no race of mixed gnome-dudes and awesome centurion-machines.

migshark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 06:20:31 pm »

? I know about the labour thing, I was saying that in order to have them as a functioning military force they should be technically citizens not pets. Their size and composition can be changed with the the caste system, right? I forgot about the graphics, but aren't the sprites profession based? Is it possible to subtract skill from a unit, and now that I think about it, to drop an item like the mecha suit at a gnomes feet (and not on his head) when the transformation runs out? My point being, that upon transformation they get Legendary+5 in, say, lasher, making their graphics that of a construct.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »

Yes and no. The profession would work, but soldiers and nobles use different sprites again. So your construct nobleman looks the same as your gnome nobleman... same for the soldiers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24