-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:31:38 pm by Stany »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Math problem
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:36:14 pm »

It's not a variable, so it won't change. It's a fixed number.

Can you tell which segment is the hypotenuse? It would make this easier.

All right triangles must satisfy the pythagorean theorem. I'm guessing that AB is the hypotenuse, so:

(AB)2 = (AC)2 + (BC)2

To find the lengths of these segments, we must use the distance formula, which is basically just the pythagorean theorem again. Using substitution because writing square root signs is difficult:

((7 + 1)2 + (2 + 2)2) = ((k + 1)2 + (4 + 2)2) + ((7 - k)2 + (4 - 2)2)

(The square from the theorem and the square root from the distance formula cancel each other out, in case you were wondering.)

80 = k2 + 2k + 1 + 36 + 49 - 14k + k2 + 4

We then solve for k:

2k2 - 12k + 10 = 0
2(k - 5)(k - 1) = 0

This means that k can be either 5 or 1. And both work, both produce right triangles.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:44:30 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:32:02 pm by Stany »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »

But here's the thing--we can't assume that AB is the hypotenuse.  We've got a bunch of potential vertices running around.

My guess is that, rather than "constant," the teacher meant "natural number"--because k had better not be a variable, if this is some particular right triangle we're looking for.

So, I've got a few numbers lying around, but as-is the question makes very little sense.  I also get a right triangle for k = 6 and AC as hypotenuse.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:53:59 pm »

I've been doodling a bit (using digital graph paper: http://www.geogebra.org/cms/index.php?lang=en) and it seems there are 4 options. First of all you can assume that corner C is straight, which gives you 2 points, each of which is an intersection between a circle with AB as diameter and the line y = 4. These are already given by Jim.

Then there are two more sollutions, one for angle A is straight and one more for angle B is straight. These are given by :

(BC)2 = (AC)2 + (AB)2
and
(AC)2 = (BC)2 + (AC)2
Both of which by now should be trivial. They should also both only yield a single awnser.

(note, the anwser K = 6 is for C as a straight angle, so you're given that one as well)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 05:14:35 pm by Virex »

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 04:57:49 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:32:26 pm by Stany »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:38 am »

the side opposite to the right angle is the hypotenuse. Or whichever side is the longest :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 04:29:12 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:32:43 pm by Stany »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 07:09:45 pm »

the side opposite to the right angle is the hypotenuse. Or whichever side is the longest :P
Obviously, but because of the vagaries of the C co-ordinate, it wasn't immediately clear.

You mean that it's clear now? I still see three options ;)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 10:52:34 pm »

Do you really need to do it so algebraically?

I drew the two known points, and drew a line at y=4. From there you can make a right triangle from each angle.

So just from just making perpendicular lines you can figure out that you can make a triangle out of the points (-2.5, 4) and (6,4), right?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.