Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pick-Axe, the first dwarwen multitool. need help!  (Read 2498 times)

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pick-Axe, the first dwarwen multitool. need help!
« on: July 03, 2011, 03:46:09 am »

i want to do a weapon/digging/tree cutting tool. and i need help with the raws, since i suck really hard at modding, although i've read alot of modding guides, etc.

there are 3 4 things that i need to know:

How to make it be able to mine, and cut trees?

How to make it less combat dangerous than the battle axe, yet still dangerous?

How to make it makeable by my dorfs?

How to set it to be "buyable" on embark?

i thank thee for helping me in advance, modding masters. (or not so much masters, but at least people who are good at it)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:58:35 am by kerlc »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Pick-Axe, the first dwarwen multitool. need help!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:09:02 am »

I don't think that it's possible to make a tool that cuts wood AND mines.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:24:36 am »

You can't. Pickaxes are classified as digging tools, axes are weapons.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:28:33 am »

Actually if you make [DIGGER:WEAPON_PICKAXE] and give it AXE skill, it could work. There can be a problem with that though. I am sure I tried it before but I don't remember if it worked.

Just try it.

1) How to make it be able to mine, and cut trees?
- Provided you've made a custom WEAPON_PICKAXE in your weapon txt file, go into entity_default.txt and in the ENTITY:MOUNTAIN replace [DIGGER:WEAPON_PICK] with [DIGGER:WEAPON_PICKAXE].
Make sure that your weapon uses [SKILL:AXE].

2) How to make it less combat dangerous than the battle axe, yet still dangerous?
- Copy the battle axe stats but reduce the size, contact area size and penetration.

3) How to make it makeable by my dorfs? / How to set it to be "buyable" on embark?
- If you've made what I said in (1), it should be working.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:31:38 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:32:22 am »

thank you kindly. will try this at once!

edit: copied the battleaxe raws, renamed them [ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICKAXE],
 size to this: [SIZE:700]
changed the attack to this:  [ATTACK:EDGE:30000:5000:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250], added [ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000], removed the flat slap,

the only thing to do now is to test it! 

edit2: in arena, a proeficient battleaxedorf (steel battle axe) gets beaten by a proeficient pickaxedorf. (steel pick axe) any suggestions to how much should i lower the attack?

edit3: made the perfect solution, set the attack to: [ATTACK:EDGE:30000:3000:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250], and made it multigrasp. the battleaxedorf bled out some time later (30 seconds, i believe) i shall also lower the pick part attack to: [ATTACK:EDGE:100:5000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000], to make it more penetrating. next test is vs armor.

edit4: the test was a success! a completely armored dorf (steel, no less) has beaten an unarmored dwarf, losing only a hand. did i mention he had a battleaxe? the both armored ones are still fighting...

edit 5: they cut the trees like a charm, but they don't wanna dig. help?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:16:03 am by kerlc »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 07:32:23 am »

thank you kindly. will try this at once!

edit: copied the battleaxe raws, renamed them [ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICKAXE],
 size to this: [SIZE:700]
changed the attack to this:  [ATTACK:EDGE:30000:5000:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250], added [ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000], removed the flat slap,

the only thing to do now is to test it! 

edit2: in arena, a proeficient battleaxedorf (steel battle axe) gets beaten by a proeficient pickaxedorf. (steel pick axe) any suggestions to how much should i lower the attack?

edit3: made the perfect solution, set the attack to: [ATTACK:EDGE:30000:3000:hack:hacks:NO_SUB:1250], and made it multigrasp. the battleaxedorf bled out some time later (30 seconds, i believe) i shall also lower the pick part attack to: [ATTACK:EDGE:100:5000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000], to make it more penetrating. next test is vs armor.

edit4: the test was a success! a completely armored dorf (steel, no less) has beaten an unarmored dwarf, losing only a hand. did i mention he had a battleaxe? the both armored ones are still fighting...

edit 5: they cut the trees like a charm, but they don't wanna dig. help?

[ATTACK:EDGE:100:5000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]

I think that's similar to dagger or something. This probably works better:

[ATTACK:EDGE:1000:3000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:1000]
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:47:11 am »

acctually it's the strike from pickaxe, only increased. i'll use what you have given me, thank you.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:30:47 am »

By similar to dagger I meant the attack was like dagger, just less extreme, picks too I guess. High penetration, low contact area, and a good velocity multiplier make a pretty dangerous attack.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)