Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colony Spiders [V1 Soon] New Dorfy Creatures  (Read 1032 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Colony Spiders [V1 Soon] New Dorfy Creatures
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »

Introducing New Dorfy Creatures, and upcoming self-explanatory mod for Dwarf Fortress' most recent versions!

The Colony Spider is the first creature I shall release to you all. Or I may wait until I've got more, so starting a new world is ok... and stuff.

Creatures:

• The Colony Spider -
    Doesn't live in a colony. It's just social. It's a trainable, pet-able, domesticated Dwarf spider, and it packs a nasty bite too. It's size is on par with a Dog, and it can be found wild roaming the caverns in groups. It is liked for its chittering noises. It's like the GCS's little bro. It lays lots of yummy eggs and produces webs, therefore it's expensive as an animal and makes a good pet. It's bite is quite bad, and by that I mean it bites into you, you feel a bit dizzy, bleed for a bit, then bam, unconcious. Combined with web firing it's a nasty critter. VERY nasty, to counteract its usefulness.
    "A dog-sized spider with blue chitin and mean red eyes, which lives in social groups and has a nasty bite. Sometimes domesticated by Dwarves for military use, and silk production."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:45:28 pm by EmperorJon »
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Spiders [V1 Soon] New Dorfy Creatures
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

Three things, namely with the descriptions.  1, you may want to make it multi-colored, so you can have various-colored spiders the same way you have various-colored dogs and cats.  2, what is "medium-sized"?  A human is medium-sized, compared to dwarves and minotaurs.  A dog is medium-sized, compared to mice and GCS.  Perhaps "dog-sized" is a better description, or something like that.  3, what is "recent years"?  Something like "They are sometimes domesticated..." would fit better?

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

1. Yeah, I wanted a specific colour. Dunno why.
2. Dog Sized originally, it sounded silly. Change?
3. Meh. Changed.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »

2. Medium is a variable.  Dogs are fairly constant.  Just my take on it though.  You could specify "a few feet in length" or "three feet long" but that feels a bit too... detailed, compared to other descriptions.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:51:23 pm »

You could always call it a "medium-sized spider", so that it's clear that it is bigger than a run-of-the-mill cave spider, but smaller than the giant variety.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:13:25 pm »

It's now DogSized and stickin'. :P

I need to fix the syndromes tomorrow. Just killed a dragon. It falls asleep and gets webbed and bitten for eternity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

Don't include a knockout with the syndrome.  The web itself will cause webbing, which is similar to unconsciousness, so the spider should web it then start biting.  Perhaps no venom at all, in fact?  While not as spider-y, it may balance it out a lot.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:49:54 pm »

Maybe something more like the phantom spider, a long term sickness. Hmm