Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial ***NEW 2015 SERIES***  (Read 619295 times)

Chinook

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Power
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2009, 01:37:35 pm »

It took me a little over a week, but I finally finished your videos.  I now eagerly await each new one.  In the meantime, I read "Biomeat-Nectar" (some post of yours recommended it on SA) completely, and have been playing Spelunky (saw you in that thread, too!). 

I look forward to finding out how to deal with nobles.

pundit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2009, 03:01:00 pm »

Hé captnduck,
some very nice tutorials! I read about them on gamedev.net (they were featured in a daily post there) and as i didn't know about the game itself yet, I was quite amazed.
ascii graphics & lots & lots of micromanagement, yet i'm struck by the complexity & options this game has to offer.
I'll be playing this game for a long time to come!
Anyway keep up the good work with these tutorials, they're very handy!

Btw, welke tileset gebruik je? aangezien ik die er wel goed vond uitzien en zelf zou willen gebruiken(Ik ben zelf een Belg btw;))

Shikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2009, 04:18:31 pm »

I'm playing the game with tilesets and graphics because it makes the game make much more sense. Im using the Guybrush 16x16 tileset, Dystopian Rhetoric's graphics set, and an updated color scheme.

You can find the game releases on this page: http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=18
This page also has prepacked versions with tilesets already installed. Im using "Dwarf Fortress v0.28.181.39e Graphical Repack (PC)" for this tutorial.

its in his first post =p

you also might want to check out http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm its a pack of a bunch of tilesets and graphic sets ( the once captain duck uses are also in this one =p )
and i think it uses the latest version (40d) but not sure

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »

It took me a little over a week, but I finally finished your videos.  I now eagerly await each new one.  In the meantime, I read "Biomeat-Nectar" (some post of yours recommended it on SA) completely, and have been playing Spelunky (saw you in that thread, too!). 

I look forward to finding out how to deal with nobles.

Hah you little stalker :). It's ok though, thats all great stuff. Also, i just beat spelunky starting from level 1 whoohooo. got $803.030, 143 kills and a time of 21:15. That went fantastic, been trying for weeks.

If you want more recommendations read planetes, monster and 20th century boys, or watch the planetes / monster anime, all fantastic stuff. Planetes is my favourite anime, and 20th century boys my favourite manga.

I'm playing the game with tilesets and graphics because it makes the game make much more sense. Im using the Guybrush 16x16 tileset, Dystopian Rhetoric's graphics set, and an updated color scheme.

You can find the game releases on this page: http://dffd.wimbli.com/category.php?id=18
This page also has prepacked versions with tilesets already installed. Im using "Dwarf Fortress v0.28.181.39e Graphical Repack (PC)" for this tutorial.

its in his first post =p

you also might want to check out http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm its a pack of a bunch of tilesets and graphic sets ( the once captain duck uses are also in this one =p )
and i think it uses the latest version (40d) but not sure

Hey i got linked on that gamedev site yeah, didnt even notice it.

Also, you sure that last link from mayday has the same tileset in it? I thought it was just the mayday tileset. Not that it matters much, the mike mayday tileset is fantastic, i've tried it and it makes the game look like a SNES game. Wish that i found that before i started with these tutorials.

==

And anyone wanna do me a favor? Tell me how in to get a PS3 gamepad working under windows XP 64-bits. I found this: http://netkas.org/?p=75 but can't get it to work.

Chinook

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2009, 04:57:51 pm »

Hehe, i wasn't stalking.  I got to the Spelunky thread way before you did. :)

I suppose I was KIND OF stalking with the Bio-Meat thing, I had looked through your old posts to see if I had missed any other videos of DF you may have made.

I will check those other two that you are suggesting out, very soon.

I haven't played much dwarf fortress, but if you are looking for more things to cover in your videos, I would think that magma could be discussed (I am confused by it.)  Maybe the dangers of flooding, and how to avoid it/deal with it.  Also, some discussion on building fancy towers, bridges, etc.  Maybe cages/animals/breeding, too.  For meat, etc.  And of course nobles and how to kill them without penalty.

Just a few thoughts. :)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2009, 06:24:05 am »

did you do soap?

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2009, 02:41:07 am »

Finnaly time for an update.

Part 20: In this episode, i find out i somehow angered the humans and get sieged by them. Also i explain the most-used traps.

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 20 - Siege & Traps: Youtube HD

Im thinking of abandoning this fortress soon, updating to the latest version and starting a new one in a place with magma. The defense here works sort of, but its horribly unoptimized and so far away from the main fortress. I want to do a flat fortress and build a nice castle on it. So that might be soonish.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2009, 03:48:50 am »

Im thinking of abandoning this fortress soon, updating to the latest version and starting a new one in a place with magma. The defense here works sort of, but its horribly unoptimized and so far away from the main fortress. I want to do a flat fortress and build a nice castle on it. So that might be soonish.

If you do start a new fortress, I hope you'll explain more advanced features that help during fortress startup along with other things. Like the work order managing menu (u-m or j-m). The work order menu is useful for setting up a bunch of work orders and then ignoring them, while not having something on perpetual repeat (which may deplete a resource). It also gives the ability to make like, 25 beds at one time and not waste time doing 2 and a half shops manually, letting things queue and letting you focus on other things.

Another thing maybe could be pre-planned plumbing (both the magma kind and the water kind)

jasonxfri13th

• Bay Watcher
  • He is Jesus and Raptor combined!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2009, 10:23:08 am »

I think a catle would be good...
you should make a moat and a drawbridge because people really want to know how to do that...

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2009, 12:44:12 am »

Double update today:

Part extra 01: This is an extra video where i get sieged by humans. This is skippable if you just want to learn about DF.

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part Extra 01 - Under Siege: Youtube HD

Part 21: In this episode, i finnaly explain about nobles and also explain how to use the manager.

Dwarf Fortress Video Tutorial part 21  - Nobles & managing: Youtube HD

The next episode will be abandoning this fort, ill also try to make some 3D footage with 3Ddwarf, and upload the site to the share site.

Chinook

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2009, 07:01:53 am »

Thanks for the new ones!  This rocks.  I'm happy to hear you're starting a new fortress in order to do more videos.  These are great.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2009, 10:02:45 am »

A few notes for the next site:

Perhaps explain proper support, and now drawbridges can look like they offer support but don't.
 Doors don't need to be between two walls, just next to one.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2009, 12:31:27 pm »

Perhaps explain proper support, and now drawbridges can look like they offer support but don't.

What do you mean with support? Drawbridges don't offer support? Support what?
Also, what the hell is the use of a door when it isn't between 2 walls hah. You want doors to block access.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:43:36 pm by captain_duck »

Brandinat0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2009, 03:19:39 pm »

And anyone wanna do me a favor? Tell me how in to get a PS3 gamepad working under windows XP 64-bits. I found this: http://netkas.org/?p=75 but can't get it to work.

First of all; I'm on 32bits Vista

I got my Ps3 controller to work with this tool: http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/60844444/file.html

First install libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.10.1.exe and then run ps3sixaxis_en.exe and quickly press the PS button when the screen popups.
Then you can check at Start > Configuration > Gamepads (Spelbesturingen) if it worked.
(most of the time I run ps3sixaxis_en.exe 20 times and press the PS button, and then it'll work)

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »

What do you mean with support? Drawbridges don't offer support? Support what?
Also, what the hell is the use of a door when it isn't between 2 walls hah. You want doors to block access.

Support for blocks. Like if you want to build a hanging tower, you have to build floor//wall all the way from land to the spot in the middle of the sky//canyon. The drawbridges don't offer any structural support for constructions.

And for the doors, some people want a 2 tile wide entrance, so they build 2 doors side by side. This allows for greater traffic into an area you want sealed with doors. I use this alot because most of my hallways are at least 2 tiles wide, so I can have good traffic flow without creating a traffic bottleneck of a 1 tile wide doorway.

Another useful trick for multi-wide doors is making a gate that can be sealed by using many floodgates. This way you can have a 5 tile wide pathway that can be locked down with a push of a switch
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27