Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1001167 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #465 on: August 15, 2012, 10:39:49 am »

....but Nemesis is Greek.  :-\

Although according to Wiktionary, the nominative plural in Latin would be nemesēs, which sounds right. But I'm curious how they have Latin declensions of a Greek word.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:30 am »

Hanslanda you need a pipe in that picture, I just can't picture you without one ever since you got that new avatar.

I'm not sure I can legally own pipes right now. But it is totally one of my life goals to buy a huge ass pipe like that one ASAP.

The dress took her a couple months to make. Mostly it was gathering the dorito bags that took the longest. She was going around school policing trashcans for them. Then she layered them with some kind of material and laminated them. It was interesting to feel, kinda crinkly but tough too.
It's a good thing she found all the materials in time; if she hadn't she would have bitten your cat to death then run around stark raving mad until she died of hunger. How many Dwarfbucks is that thing worth anyway?

Lol, ironic you say that, as I said, we used to dress as zombies. That would have been some slightly meta shit right there. Also, I think it's priceless to her, she ain't gonna sell it.

Although according to Wiktionary, the nominative plural in Latin would be nemesēs, which sounds right. But I'm curious how they have Latin declensions of a Greek word.

Its just like television. People nowadays bastardize language to make it fit the way they want, root language be damned.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:21 am »

You can't sell artifacts anyway.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 15, 2012, 11:04:09 am »

Oh, right. Also slightly meta. o.O
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 15, 2012, 02:01:16 pm »

Slashdot Story about course offering 8 hour 'how to code' course: in HTML/CSS/JavaScript

Decoded.co's testimonials page is particularly funny:
'I really feel like I could talk credibly to a coder, given we can now actually speak the same language.'

Best stupidity highlighted.

Yeah and learning the first 3 letters of the alphabet makes you able to talk credibly with an English literature professor about James Joyce's Ulysses.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:32 pm »

Now I feel even more pity for techies who have to deal with computer-illiterate management.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 15, 2012, 02:04:36 pm »

I wonder if he actually thinks programmers talk in programming languages.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:48 pm »

Psh, everyone knows they talk in binary.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 15, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »

Psh, everyone knows they talk in binary.
01000100 01101111 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00111111

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:20 pm »

Because 99,9% of all "Greek" words reached us through Latin, I'd hazard a guess.

Both in response and on-topic, I cry a little when people use incorrect Latin-oid plurals, both in English and (Dog) Latin.

That's just silly. You're talking Modern English, not Latin. Modern English standards overrule the Latin grammar. Complaining about "faulty" Latin is the same as complaining you don't bend words like in Old English any more.

Its just like television. People nowadays bastardize language to make it fit the way they want, root language be damned.

...That's how languages work. All of them. Everywhere. Everytime. It's called change, evolution, progress. It's nothing bad. It's not "bastardisation". But if it were, I'd appreciate the bitter irony of somebody using "-ize" instead of "-ise" while saying it.

No.
Love, scriver~

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 15, 2012, 02:22:15 pm »

When I read that you had the facepalming Sollux avatar.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2012, 03:49:49 pm »

New OVI (DUI) case. I explain that for second offense it's a mandatory 10 day jail minimum, and that I won't lie to him it's going to be hard. Also if you refuse the blow test there's a 1 year mandatory suspension of license. Further, several judges will actually increase the sentence if you refuse the blow test and are found guilty, but it really does vary by the judge (magistrate but whatever, I'm not confusing the guy with that right now). Also you really need to get into AA or something.

"So you can get me off right?" ~ Guy.

??? You just ... keep on hearing what you wanna hear don't ya?
"Well, I could, but you can't pay me enough for that service." There. That shuts him up, and you get to innuendo him.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:21 pm »

There are a lot of Latinized Greek words, and many times the English word came from that Latin form rather than directly from Greek. Also, the -es ending is standard in both languages' third declension. So, direct origin aside, it's still "nemeses", not "nemisii". "Thesis/theses" is the exact same-from Greek through Latin, and both languages have it declined similarly.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:27 pm »

Actually, my rusty Greek knowledge says it's "nemeseis".

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 15, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »

Well according to the Jonathan Coulton song it's "Nemeses"
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 510