Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1003508 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #630 on: August 18, 2012, 06:22:51 pm »

Might be, but could conceivably happen. Hell, one of my friends tried to do that at school, even got permission from the principle. He ended up getting shouted at for half an hour by a teacher.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 18, 2012, 06:26:28 pm »

Might be, but could conceivably happen. Hell, one of my friends tried to do that at school, even got permission from the principle. He ended up getting shouted at for half an hour by a teacher.
Was the teacher antigay or was he/she just mad your friend wouldn't speak?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 18, 2012, 06:30:06 pm »

Was the teacher antigay or was he/she just mad your friend wouldn't speak?
I do believe the words "Fucking f*****s" where used, so I'm leaning toward the first.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 18, 2012, 06:30:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure the teacher could be fired for that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 18, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »

Hell, one of my friends tried to do that at school, even got permission from the principle. He ended up getting shouted at for half an hour by a teacher.
While I think it is good that your friend decided to do this (even better that he got permission from the principle), one of the rules that a lot of states have for their schools (having both parents as teachers you hear a lot about school rules and regulations) is that protests and other demonstrations such as the day of silence are fine as long as they "do not disturb or interrupt the learning process of the student or other students at the teacher's discretion". As such if a teacher decides that a demonstration is interfering with either the student's learning process or those around them (such as if they were trying to group work and he wasn't talking to his group members, or if he had to make a speech but wouldn't talk, or even if the teacher deemed that they were unable to tell if the student was learning the information due to their unwillingness to answer questions) then they would be well within their rights to ask the student to stop while in their classroom even if the student had principle permission. It's the same reason why even if a school has a sponsored "hat day" where you can pay a dollar to wear your hat in class teachers can still ask you to remove your hats as long as you are within their classroom.

Of course once you get to college it's a whole different ball game, and working is fine too, but while you are in high school and lower there are a lot of things that teachers can ask you to do (such as stopping a demonstration for the duration of their class) and technically you need to comply. It doesn't mean that it's very nice of them to do so, but they do have the right.

Of course if the whole thing was because the teacher was anti-gay then he would still be within his rights to ask the student to stop, but it would be a very fine line that could easily get him fired, especially if he was swearing and the student's parents brought the matter to attention. The standard procedure in most states at that point would be to immediately place the teacher on leave until the matter could be resolved, at which point either the teacher would be fired, punished, or reinstated to teach again.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:37:24 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 18, 2012, 06:36:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure the teacher could be fired for that.
It's not like anyone in this town cares, I do think he was admonished for "Abusive language" or some such shit, but that's it. I live in backwards land.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 18, 2012, 06:37:59 pm »

While I think it is good that your friend decided to do this (even better that he got permission from the principle), one of the rules that a lot of states have for their schools (having both parents as teachers you hear a lot about school rules and regulations) is that protests and other demonstrations such as the day of silence are fine as long as they "do not disturb or interrupt the learning process of the student or other students at the teacher's discretion". As such if a teacher decides that a demonstration is interfering with either the student's learning process or those around them (such as if they were trying to group work and he wasn't talking to his group members, or if he had to make a speech but wouldn't talk, or even if the teacher deemed that they were unable to tell if the student was learning the information due to their unwillingness to answer questions) then they would be well within their rights to ask the student to stop while in their classroom even if the student had principle permission. It's the same reason why even if a school has a sponsored "hat day" where you can pay a dollar to wear your hat in class teachers can still ask you to remove your hats as long as you are within their classroom.
Of course once you get to college it's a whole different ball game, and working is fine too, but while you are in high school and lower there are a lot of things that teachers can ask you to do (such as stopping a demonstration for the duration of their class) and technically you need to comply. It doesn't mean that it's very nice of them to do so, but they do have the right.
But the teacher in this story clearly didn't protest the silence because she (I'm just going to say she although I don't know if the teacher was a man or a woman) thought the silence was interfering in the learning of her students, she did it because she is a bigot and disagrees with the politics behind said silence.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 18, 2012, 06:39:00 pm »

It's not like anyone in this town cares, I do think he was admonished for "Abusive language" or some such shit, but that's it. I live in backwards land.
I believe the land is called "America"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #638 on: August 18, 2012, 06:42:53 pm »

"Earth."

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 18, 2012, 06:43:08 pm »

"Earth."
"Missouri"

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 18, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »

I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 18, 2012, 07:11:38 pm »

But the teacher in this story clearly didn't protest the silence because she (I'm just going to say she although I don't know if the teacher was a man or a woman) thought the silence was interfering in the learning of her students, she did it because she is a bigot and disagrees with the politics behind said silence.
If you'll re-read my post you'll note that I edited it to include the rules for a case where the teacher was being a bigot.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 18, 2012, 07:44:11 pm »

And yet we've still got old folks saying how perverse the young folks are...

"Oh, what a sick disgusting fetish! If I were your mother - ooh, borderline-misogynistic bondage erotica!"
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 18, 2012, 07:53:31 pm »

And yet we've still got old folks saying how perverse the young folks are...

"Oh, what a sick disgusting fetish! If I were your mother - ooh, borderline-misogynistic bondage erotica!"

The thing to remember is that practically every sort of fetish there is first manifested decades or centuries ago.

That aside, the 50/whatever books are pretty poorly written, but more importantly, they present an abusive relationship as an example of a normal, loving relationship, which in and of itself is pretty damn irresponsible. Someone (Scelly?) posted a link earlier to a review of them that was spot on.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 18, 2012, 08:30:21 pm »

yeah i got it from there. THE SHEER STUPID OF SOME PEOPLE IS ENOUGH TO EVOKE A LAW WHERE YOU PUNCH ONE STUPID PERSON A DAY!
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 510