Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1001153 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1380 on: September 28, 2012, 07:16:00 pm »

Except, you know, anyone trans? At all?

"You're not actually a girl, you know. Just because you look like a girl, sound like a girl, have the mind of a girl, and are pretty much a girl by nearly any definition except genetic, because you were born with a penis, you're a guy no matter what you say."

How is that not offensive? You're telling somebody what they are, when they are the only people who can know for sure. Least until we can read minds, at least. Gah!

E: Grak, I don't think anyone took "cut off their penis" at face value. It's a crude a way to refer to transition surgery. Which people do, because they don't want their penis any more. And because there is a marked improvement in trans peoples lives and outlook from the surgery, if they opt for it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:19:25 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 28, 2012, 07:17:57 pm »

in my book, if you were born with a penis, that makes you male.
sorry if that's offensive, thats just what I believe.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:26:34 pm by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 28, 2012, 07:19:05 pm »

I wouldn't be offended by that at all if I were a transgender person. The confusion or possible ignorance of other people is not offensive, as long as they allow you to correct them. The rule usually is if it's not intended to offend, then it isn't offensive.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 28, 2012, 07:19:32 pm »

And that the person would pay for that operation, despite believing in a difference between gender and sex. That's some high-grade contradiction right there. "What you are does not change who you are, but I will pay unreasonable amounts of money/put my life at risk in order to make a slight physical change to myself." It just... sounds fake.
The gender/sex distinction has to do with physical attributes vs mental ones. "Sex" is determined by the equipment between your legs, which for a transsexual person obviously doesn't correlate to their "gender," which is the mental half.

That's how I understand it anyway. They're "really" their gender, while the sex portion could be mixed up.

in my book, if you have a penis, that makes you male.
sorry if that's offensive, thats just what I believe.
Well you can believe whatever the fuck you want, but that doesn't make it the truth.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: September 28, 2012, 07:21:58 pm »

Except, you know, anyone trans? At all?

"You're not actually a girl, you know. Just because you look like a girl, sound like a girl, have the mind of a girl, and are pretty much a girl by nearly any definition except genetic, because you were born with a penis, you're a guy no matter what you say."

How is that not offensive? You're telling somebody what they are, when they are the only people who can know for sure. Least until we can read minds, at least. Gah!
I was referring specifically to the thing about the person mentioning apparently self-mutilation.
Not the other stuff.

Edit: I have read your edit, I suppose it would make more sense for it to be non-literal.
Another case of me being overly literal.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:59:38 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 28, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »

So since your friend didn't have a penis, she is a woman. If we're making penis = male, then it was a straight relationship, since one has a penis and the other doesn't. Not a gay male relationship. But yeah, that's bullshit.

E: read my edit, Grak.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1386 on: September 28, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

Why label the relationship based on the sexes of the couple at all?

What does it matter if it's a gay, lesbian, or straight relationship, if you aren't one of the participants?

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 28, 2012, 07:48:45 pm »

As a Transhumanist, gender/sex are kind of fluid concepts to me. Hell, My ideal body wouldn't have a gender so much as be a large valkyrie-type spacecraft with Von Neumann probe capabilities. Puttering around the galaxy at sublight speeds and making copies of myself from asteroids FTW.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 28, 2012, 08:01:37 pm »

As a Transhumanist, gender/sex are kind of fluid concepts to me. Hell, My ideal body wouldn't have a gender so much as be a large valkyrie-type spacecraft with Von Neumann probe capabilities. Puttering around the galaxy at sublight speeds and making copies of myself from asteroids FTW.
That sounds like pretty much the best existence.
Well, it's be interesting at least. Constant mental stimulation and learning and stuff, but then I'd be missing out on the enormous brain-drugs party. Spaceships don not have any endorphins in them. This would make me sad.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 28, 2012, 08:03:20 pm »

That sounds like pretty much the best existence.
Well, it's be interesting at least. Constant mental stimulation and learning and stuff, but then I'd be missing out on the enormous brain-drugs party. Spaceships don not have any endorphins in them. This would make me sad.
Meh. Flesh parties inevitably lead to my avatar. Personally I'm thinking of becoming immaterial if humans have the tech in the future.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: September 28, 2012, 08:04:33 pm »

Back on topic:
One of my teachers misspelled the word "wristwatch" as "raist watch". I have no idea...

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:56 pm »

I thought the definition of female was having two X chromosomes.

But then it's really hard to debate anything even closely related to this on the Internet.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: September 28, 2012, 08:46:35 pm »

But then it's really hard to debate anything even closely related to this on the Internet.
From pretty much the official source on the English language:

Definition of female
adjective

of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 28, 2012, 08:58:39 pm »

Why label the relationship based on the sexes of the couple at all?

What does it matter if it's a gay, lesbian, or straight relationship, if you aren't one of the participants?
Honestly? I dunno :P I see no reason for "gay" and "lesbian" to be two separate terms, barring being slightly more specific (in a mostly irrelevant way). That one's always kinda bugged me.

I do see a reason to distinguish between gay and straight relationships, but not in any context we're talking about here. Whether or not babies can be made is a potentially important question, just not in most situations.

This is why some people distinguish "sex" and "gender." What pair of chromosomes they have, what sex hormone is coursing through their veins, and what equipment they have between their legs is irrelevant in most situations, but not all. So if you want to know what body type they have, ask their sex. Otherwise, ask their gender.

I don't care, personally, and will always go by what they identify as no matter what. Being bi, even if I was in a relationship with one and got "surprised," I wouldn't care. It's simply not relevant to me, and since it's often a Big Thing for them, the least I can do is call them what they want to be called.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 28, 2012, 09:00:30 pm »

Kai, Y U NO HAVE BI FLAG IN SIG? I keep forgetting that little detail.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 510