Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1003624 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5760 on: July 23, 2013, 03:02:13 am »

The other day I was looking up how fossil fuels were formed and on the first page of google there was this fundamentalist christian page. Their argument was essentially
In order for fossil fuels to form, they must not oxidize due to exposure to air. It is so unlikely for fossil fuels to form naturally that the only explanation is the Great Flood.

So my car is powered by the divine punishment of heathens?
Actually no. Yaweh killed everyone on the planet for some other reason. I forget why.

So that we could get to work faster, obviously.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: July 23, 2013, 03:15:29 am »

Pfft, please, I've played DEFCON, you don't have to tell me about nuclear war.
Did you know the US is the only country with a significant ABM defense system in the world (Russia has one based around Moscow). A better way of picturing Nuclear war is DEFCON, Diplomacy, without any ABMs. All missile Silos, All the time. And of course, many more nukes then they show.

Anyway, North Korea attacking anyone with nukes reminds me of that phrase, "If you strike at a king you must kill him".
Sadly, the US anti Ballistic missile system is incapable of intercepting an ICBM (by design). There's the Ground based Missile defense system, but that one has a success rate of less than 50%.

So well, the US's rocket shield isn't that impressive, if you take account of the fact that the majority of it's systems can't handle a nuclear missile.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: July 23, 2013, 03:54:30 am »

Anyway, North Korea attacking anyone with nukes reminds me of that phrase, "If you strike at a king you must kill him".
Alternatively... When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.
You know nothin'.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: July 23, 2013, 04:03:51 am »

The other day I was looking up how fossil fuels were formed and on the first page of google there was this fundamentalist christian page. Their argument was essentially
In order for fossil fuels to form, they must not oxidize due to exposure to air. It is so unlikely for fossil fuels to form naturally that the only explanation is the Great Flood.

Actually no. Yaweh killed everyone on the planet for some other reason. I forget why.

So that we could get to work faster, obviously.
I think it was because some woman used some corn to clean off her child's dress or something? Because according to him, back before the flood people lived centuries and everything was awesome but then he killed everything and restarted.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: July 23, 2013, 07:30:50 am »

snip
Unless you are 12 or younger, then you forgot 9/11 and the time immediately after it. That's the 1 single time when I've been alive where people have actually worried about the safety of their nation. The World Trade Center, even in name, represented the power of America and capitalism as a whole. For many people, the red scare was still in clear memory. But the WTC showed that capitalism had prevailed, and that America was still the center of world commerce. And then, almost out of nowhere, this iconic symbol of power was instantly erased, all with 2 planes some almost-nobodies had taken. People were legitimately terrified of it. That is the only time in my memory that the USA has actually been threatenend.
That's an exception. (Besides, I was 2, so I was too young to really know what happened at the time.)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: July 23, 2013, 03:29:35 pm »

I never saw the Cold War, but the UK has never really been threatened in my lifetime and I vividly remember 9/11 and 7/7 and the bombing at Glasgow airport.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5766 on: August 03, 2013, 11:18:16 pm »

"Claunch trapped one officer with his wheelchair in the corner of a room "where he couldn't get out," said a Houston police department representative who declined to be identified."

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: August 03, 2013, 11:27:28 pm »

Nuh-uh! He killed all the bad people (many of which weren't fully human, but were giants and the sons of fallen angels)
So by that definition, yes your car is powered by the divine punishment and suffering of the nephilim and sinful humans.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: August 03, 2013, 11:41:22 pm »

"Claunch trapped one officer with his wheelchair in the corner of a room "where he couldn't get out," said a Houston police department representative who declined to be identified."

The dude had a pen. Crazy people armed with writing utensils can be extremely dangerous, don'tcha know. Why, that could've been a felt-tipped pen. Those are the most stabbable of all the pens. The only thing more dangerous than a felt-tipped pen is a dry-erase marker. Who knows what that guy could've done if he had a dry-erase marker.

Thank goodness the police were there and knew the seriousness of the situation and how to handle it. [/sarcasm]
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: August 04, 2013, 01:44:44 am »

Nuh-uh! He killed all the bad people (many of which weren't fully human, but were giants and the sons of fallen angels)
So by that definition, yes your car is powered by the divine punishment and suffering of the nephilim and sinful humans.
But what do I believe as bad? In one story it was written that God wanted to banish corn from the earth causing everyone to die but let the corn plants grow with a severely reduced crop so the birds wouldn't die.
Because he saw a woman cleaning her child's dirty dress with corn.
Sig! Onol

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: August 04, 2013, 02:08:39 am »

Is this the Mormon bible?

Because the Jews didn't have corn. Corn is a new-world crop. >_____>

Like the potato! And chocolate. The Irish and the Germans were basically twiddling their thumbs for a few thousand years as they waited for their crops to be discovered so they could actually -do- something.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: August 04, 2013, 02:09:24 am »

I think it was Brothers Grimm, but eh.
Sig! Onol

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: August 04, 2013, 06:53:47 am »

Like the potato! And chocolate. The Irish and the Germans were basically twiddling their thumbs for a few thousand years as they waited for their crops to be discovered so they could actually -do- something.
they didn't have maize, but the word corn has been used as a generic name for grains since long before the discovery of the new world
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/corn#Etymology_1

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5774 on: August 04, 2013, 05:44:55 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think the next companion should be old too. The reaction alone is worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 510