Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1003510 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #7410 on: November 18, 2013, 10:53:59 pm »

It can be both, and a noun. Verb: To bone a viking. Abjective: Bones of viking descent. Noun: Skeleton viking.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:49 pm »

Where is your sense of over the top nationalistic pride?
In the same place as my racism and homophobia.

...In your liver? Pancreas?

On-topic: MERICA.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: November 19, 2013, 01:50:29 am »

Quote from: Girl on the bus with obvious spanish heritage
We aren't mexicans! The fact that we were born and raised in Mexico is pure semantics.
Ummm:
1) You obviously have spanish heritage
2) You were born and raised in Mexico

Yep, that about fits the definition of "Mexican" to me. :P
If... they've naturalized wherever they are now, and it's not Mexico, then. Yeah, they're no longer mexican? If someone spent the first, say, five years in one country, and then then next 10-20 in the one they're in now... I'd say they're of the latter, m'self. They're from Mexico, sure, as per Tomato, but I wouldn't particularly consider 'em mexican anymore.

I can see where they're coming from, and I do imagine it's a source of great frustration for a lot of immigrants. Y'spend decades of your life in another country and they still label you as "other", despite you being one of them in basically every way but maybe skin tone and a few years back when you were a kid. Annoying, at the very least.

It strokes me the wrong way just to hear people say "I'm Swedish/Scottish/Italian/Whateverish" despite the only connection between them being that their grand-grandparents was from there and a family meatball recipy. It just seems weird that people would go to such lengths to define themselves by something they have such a thread-of-a-relation to. Like they have some sort of Great Homelessness Complex.
Love, scriver~

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: November 19, 2013, 01:51:49 am »

I live in America. Of course I have a homelessness complex.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:02 am »

Everyone in America is Welsh/Irish/Scottish/African/English/French/German/Dutch/Norweigan/Italian/Hungarian/Russian/Chinese/Spanish/Japanese/Korean/Swedish/Swiss/Polish/etc. No one goes by 'I'm an American' when speaking of ethnic descent because America is a melting pot. If you just say 'American' it's like saying 'Mutt' for a dog breed. You're going to need to narrow it down. Even Native Americans have to say NATIVE Americans to get the point across.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: November 19, 2013, 02:26:37 am »

I've always been more than slightly amused by the thought that anyone who lives on either the American continents is technically an American. But no one except an US American would willing identify themselves as 'American'.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: November 19, 2013, 02:40:22 am »

I've always been more than slightly amused by the thought that anyone who lives on either the American continents is technically an American. But no one except an US American would willing identify themselves as 'American'.

Not on Bay12 anyway. But they do exist.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: November 19, 2013, 06:11:57 am »

Actually I know an Argentine that makes a point of introducing himself as an American everytime he meet someone from the US.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: November 19, 2013, 10:05:02 am »

I hardly ever see America used as a continent. It's either the Americas or just South and North America.

That might just be Dutch though :P. No confusion here.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: November 19, 2013, 10:17:31 am »

Bone viking. Is it an adjective or a verb? CAN IT NOT BE BOTH‽
All I can think of when looking at this post is this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: November 19, 2013, 10:28:45 am »

Actually I know an Argentine that makes a point of introducing himself as an American everytime he meet someone from the US.
Yeah, and my friends and I often like to point out that it's a continent, not a country, when we meet someone from the U.S.A
"Hello, I'm a United-states-of-American."
You're basically saying that people from the UK should introduce themselves as "united-kingdom-of-great-brittain-and-northern-irelandish"
Although that'd be hilarious.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: November 19, 2013, 10:48:29 am »

Except Britain only contain on country, so British is pretty clear. We'll get to annoy them once (if) Scotland gain independence.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: November 19, 2013, 11:21:50 am »

So, uh, why can't we identify as American?
This is probably the ignorant USAn shining through, but I don't know how many people want to associate themselves with the US. It's always been my impression that no one likes us.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »

Except Britain only contain on country, so British is pretty clear. We'll get to annoy them once (if) Scotland gain independence.
Define: Country
Because depending on how you define it the UK has 4. Though really they're more like meta-counties.
Also Great Britain doesn't include NI, which is a part of the UK.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: November 19, 2013, 01:01:10 pm »

So, uh, why can't we identify as American?
This is probably the ignorant USAn shining through, but I don't know how many people want to associate themselves with the US. It's always been my impression that no one likes us.
That's generally been my impression too. Which is funny, because taken on average, America is a lot better than the rest of the world in terms of rights, diversity, aid provided to the rest of the world, independence, and others. On the other hand, being the nation that spawned Miley Cyrus and helped bring about Justin Bieber's rise to infamy probably balanced some of that out.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 510